Review Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Always thought the first one was overrated but anyway, looking forward to this regardless.

One thing that bothers me though is the loss of ambiguity. It now seems very clear that Deckard was not a replicant.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
“Blade Runner 2049” To Answer Deckard Question

blade-runner-2049-to-answer-deckard-question-696x464.jpg

With Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming “Blade Runner 2049,” this follow-up to Ridley Scott’s iconic 1982 sci-fi classic promises to answer the big question that fans have wondering since the first film: is Rocl Deckard (Harrison Ford) a replicant?

Scott has long maintained that this was the case, even though the film doesn’t definitively say one way or another. However Scott’s stance on the matter has softened, he tells IGN this week:

“Oh, it was always my thesis theory. It was one or two people who were relevant were… I can’t remember if [screenwriter] Hampton [Fancher] agreed with me or not. But I remember someone had said, ‘Well, isn’t it corny?’ I said, ‘Listen, I’ll be the best f–king judge of that. I’m the director, okay?’

So, and that, you learn – you know, by then I’m 44, so I’m no f–king chicken. I’m a very experienced director from commercials and ‘The Duellists’ and ‘Alien.’ So, I’m able to, you know, answer that with confidence at the time, and say, ‘You know, back off, it’s what it’s gonna be.’

Harrison [Ford], he was never – I don’t remember, actually. I think Harrison was going, ‘Uh, I don’t know about that.’ I said, ‘But you have to be, because Gaff, who leaves a trail of origami everywhere, will leave you a little piece of origami at the end of the movie to say, ‘I’ve been here, I left her alive, and I can’t resist letting you know what’s in your most private thoughts when you get drunk is a f–king unicorn!’ ‘ Right? So, I love ‘Beavis and Butthead,’ so what should follow that is ‘Duh.’

So now it will be revealed [in the sequel], one way or the other.”

Villeneuve himself wasn’t so forthcoming last year when asked the same question, saying the movie wouldn’t necessarily answer the mystery. “Blade Runner 2049” opens on October 6th.

Doctor Omega

Scott Plans To Franchise Out “Blade Runner”

scott-plans-to-franchise-out-blade-runner-696x464.jpg

Ridley Scott’s transmogrification from filmmaker to franchise builder is complete. Having already begun expanding the lore of the “Alien” universe with his two recent films “Prometheus” and “Alien Covenant” along with plans for several more, and now he intends to do something similar for “Blade Runner”.

Chatting with IGN, Scott says he’s now into extending the value of IPs he helped create and intends to follow the George Lucas path laid out by “Star Wars” as to franchising out both properties so they can expand and have a life well beyond him:

“Yes. I think that, you know what, George has always proved that. Of course there’s always something. George Lucas. You know, and the way he’s handled ‘Star Wars’ has been spectacular.

It’s what I’ve been trying to do to really evolve ‘Alien,’ because in those days I wasn’t into making sequels, but now suddenly you realize, ‘Well, that’s stupid.’ I’ll use the word ‘duh’ again, right? You’d better get into sequels, duh. So that’s in a way what I’ve been doing.”

Scott also teased a fan theory that the two franchises share the same universe: “Well, I think if ‘Alien’ is in the air, ‘Blade Runner’ is on Earth. And probably is a very good reason why you wanna leave Earth.”

The theory isn’t without grounds as the “Prometheus” DVD boasted an easter egg suggesting Eldon Tyrell was Peter Weyland’s mentor.

Doctor Omega

'Blade Runner 2049' Director On Rising Above Expectations

Blade.jpg

Denis Villeneuve said that Ryan Gosling and him had "made peace" with the idea of the sequel being compared to the original no matter how good it was.

Stepping into the shoes of one of the world's most iconic directors for the sequel to one of the most celebrated of cult classics – and some 35 years after the original – must be a daunting task for any filmmaker, and it's one Denis Villeneuve hasn't taken lightly.

But speaking to The Hollywood Reporter on the sidelines of the CineEurope trade show in Barcelona, the director revealed that he and his star had come to terms with the enormity of taking on the long-awaited Blade Runner sequel, Blade Runner 2049.

"Ryan Gosling and I made peace with the idea that the chances of success were very narrow," he said. "I came on board because the script was very strong. But no matter what you do, no matter how good what you’re doing is, the film will always be compared to the first, which is a masterpiece. So I made peace with that. And when you make peace with that, you are free."

Although Villenueve said he "had a lot of fun" making Blade Runner 2049 – which also stars a returning Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard, plus Jared Leto, Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Dave Bautista and Robin Wright – the director of Arrival and Sicario admitted that it was the "biggest artistic challenge" of his career to date.

"To take Ridley Scott's universe and try to make it my own was a really big task for me," he said. As for Scott, the cinema legend gave Villeneuve what he described as the "biggest gift of all, which is freedom."

"He said, it's your movie. I'll be there if you need me, otherwise I'll be away," the director said. "And I must say he was not there physically, but I felt his presence all the time, because I was dealing with his universe all the time. So in a way he wasn't there, but he was there a lot at the same time."

Blade Runner 2049 is due for release by Warner Bros. domestically and Sony Pictures internationally on Oct. 7.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
"Ryan Gosling and I made peace with the idea that the chances of success were very narrow," he said. "I came on board because the script was very strong. But no matter what you do, no matter how good what you’re doing is, the film will always be compared to the first, which is a masterpiece. So I made peace with that. And when you make peace with that, you are free."
Probably a good attitude to have. Even if, against all expectations, they manage to come up with a film equal to the original, there would still be plenty of negative criticism simply because it's a sequel.

Doctor Omega

Official Website.......

https://twitter.com/bladerunner?ref...ns.com/explore-the-road-to-blade-runner-2049/

explore-the-road-to-blade-runner-2049-696x464.jpg

Harrison Ford, Ryan Gosling, director Denis Villeneuve and a hologram of Jared Leto appeared on stage at the Warner Bros. Pictures panel at San Diego Comic Con this morning to promote the release of “Blade Runner 2049”.

A video titled ‘Road to Blade Runner 2049’ and narrated by Edward James Olmos kicked off the panel, showing how the world within the films had changed in the thirty-year gap between the movies. A tie-in site has now gone online which offers a more in-depth look and what changes have happened.

Speaking about the film and why he chose to do it, Villeneuve said: “I didn’t want someone else to f–k it up.” The other day whilst speaking to Collider, Villeneuve confirmed that the current cut of the film comes in at 150 minutes and he’ll be working on the final edit until the end of August.

A clip was also shown from the film which sees Ryan Gosling’s Agent K reviewing Deckard’s Voight-Kampff test on Rachael from the original film.

“Blade Runner 2049” opens in cinemas on October 7th.

Doctor Omega

Blade Runner 2049: Harrison Ford responds to Deckard replicant mystery

_97046533_032394a1-f72b-4b19-be88-e0d0ec11a81d.jpg

It's one of the most debated theories in sci-fi - is Harrison Ford's character in Blade Runner human or an artificially created replicant?

The answer was left as a mystery in the theatrical release of Ridley Scott's 1982 film - with even Scott and Ford arguing about it - and with a sequel due to be released in October, fans are hoping the issue will finally be resolved.

Ford and fellow cast members including Ryan Gosling introduced a second trailerand new clips from the movie at Comic-Con on Saturday, which connect the sequel to the original film.

Moderator Chris Hardwicke couldn't help but ask Ford if Blade Runner 2049 would address the lingering questions about Deckard's identity - human or replicant?

After a long pause, the star responded: "It doesn't matter what I think."

So that clears that up then.

However he did say he returned for the sequel because: "We had a really good script based on a really good idea. It deepened the understanding of my character… It had great depth."
et 30 years after the events of the first film, the sequel sees Gosling play Blade Runner Officer K, who discovers a dark secret which leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard.

The Comic-Con panel was introduced by a hologram of Jared Leto, who stars as the villain in the movie but wasn't able to be in San Diego in person.

Gosling admitted making a Blade Runner sequel was surreal and it still hadn't quite sunk in yet that he was making it.

"I just remember when I was a kid it was one of the first films that I'd seen where it wasn't clear how I was supposed to feel when it was over," he said. "There's a moral ambiguity to it that's quite a haunting experience."

Director Denis Villeneuve said he took on the job because he "didn't want anyone else to [muck] it up", as the original film was his inspiration to become a film-maker.

However he thanked Ridley Scott for leaving him to get on with making the film he wanted.

The final fan question in the Q&A was put to Harrison Ford - was it his goal to reboot every single one of his franchises, having turned his hand to Indiana Jones, Star Wars and now Blade Runner?

"You bet your ass it is!" he replied.

We can only hope for a Working Girl sequel next.

Doctor Omega

“Blade Runner 2049” Scores An R Rating

blade-runner-2049-scores-an-r-rating-696x464.jpg

The MPAA has handed out an R-rating to Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming sci-fi sequel “Blade Runner 2049”. The project has been listed as rated R for “violence, some sexuality, nudity & language”.

The announcement comes as little surprise as Villeneuve had hinted that it is what he was aiming for. He told Screen International a few months back: “My producers are finding it fun to remind me that it will be one of the most expensive R-rated independent feature films ever made.”

The original “Blade Runner” came out in 1982, before PG-13 was installed as a rating. With the exception of brief moments of violence and nudity, the film could pass for a PG-13 were it to be rated it today.

“Blade Runner 2049” will be released on October 6th.