Review BLAKE'S 7: CYGNUS ALPHA - Episode 03

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
This was like the third part of a three-parter setting up the premise of the show. In part one, we meet Blake, part two he gets his ship and two of his team and tonight he gets the rest of his seven (or six, since he’s one of the seven – right?). Of the four other members, I know one stands out as big and strong and another as semi-cowardly comic relief. Not even sure who the other two are, but I imagine we’ll find out in time.

Most of the show takes place on Cygnus Alpha, the prison planet the London was heading to. Blake, Avon and Stannis find out that the ship has a treasure trove, a guidance system and bracelets with a compound that allows you to be transported from the ship to a planet it orbits a la STAR TREK. Good thing for Blake he had Jenna with him on the ship as Avon was sorely tempted to grab the fortune in jewels and leave Blake behind, not wanting to join Roj in fighting the dreaded Federation.

On Cygnus, the remaining prisoners find the place run by a religious cult which kills any nonbelievers. There’s also a poisonous element that must be countered by daily doses of a drug. Blake beams down with spare bracelets to invite the crew aboard, but runs afoul of the cult leader Vargas. I thought I recognized Brian Blessed as playing Vargas and I was right. I still remember him from the FLASH GORDON movie of the 80’s which was pretty cool, but never got a sequel. His characters are usually a little over the top, but this one was way over – although he was power-mad so it fit. I’m not fond of stories that are anti-religious, but there is a certain logic to Vargas creating a religion to unite the bickering convicts and then falling prey to the corruption of his absolute power. I’m not sure what made him think he could spread his message to other worlds. All he had was a fake figure and the supposed cure to his planet’s poison which he admits was all just trickery anyway. He’s rather easily dispatched by stepping onto the transporter area and being sent into open space. He suffers explosive decompression although it looks more like he blew up like a firebomb.

Too bad they had to kill off Vargas’s second in command, a lovely lady. She gets a spear thrust through her after trying to warn someone about it. She would have made a nice addition to the seven. Oh, well, just one woman in the group, I guess.

One big boo-boo involves the eight month trip to the prison planet. Last week, it didn’t seem to take long for the inmates to revolt; the meds would have rendered them docile otherwise. But this week, they’ve arrived on C. Alpha without even having sent out their report about the revolt yet. There’s no indication that Blake and his crew have been travelling on their ship for months – if they have, they’re awfully slow about finding out anything about it. So where did we lose the eight months? At first, I thought even the writers had forgotten about it, but one of the London crew comments “After eight months on this ship, I’d like to stretch my legs.”

The transporter effect is a little weak. I’m okay with the person diffusing to start, but then they show a drawn figure like a chalk mark of a murder victim and have them appear inside it. Looks rather silly; why don’t just have a reverse of the earlier effect instead? And why when they were bringing the sacrifice in did one of the men claim that the prisoners had tried to jump them but they got the best of them? Obviously, just for our benefit so we’d think the big guy was really going to get sacrificed. But it was a dumb move; what if Vargas had realized that it was a stranger’s voice saying that? In fact, why didn’t he notice it? And when you’re planning to jump Vargas’s crew during a ritual sacrifice, it would be a little smarter not to wait until the last minute when he’s starting to plunge the knife into you.

Overall, the episode was still interesting. I’ll give this one a 7.
Glad you're enjoying it, yes Vargas plans for spreading the word was a little vague, but I think we must conclude that The liberator is so far advanced of anything mankind has seen that all things are possible with it, including subjugating other worlds to the will of God. Vargas obviously knows the religion his ancestors created is false, i.e. the trappings, like the idol in the hallway, but he clearly believes in the Devine purpose of his goals.
Meantime not wanting to reveal too much, we have Blake Avon Vila Gan and Jenna, that's five, there's no more prisoners, so we still have two more to come in the next episode. Then in a few weeks time The Antagonists turn up to add to the mix, then what makes Blakes7 a special show begins.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Blake, Jenna and Avon explore their new space craft, locating the armoury, an extensive wardrobe, an advanced laboratory, a large vault that contains almost as much wealth as the entire Federation banking system and a fully functional teleportation system. They also encounter the spaceship’s extremely advanced onboard computer, Zen. It can read their thoughts and takes the name of the Liberator from Jenna’s mind. After pressing a button on a control console, Jenna inadvertently takes the Liberator into negative hyperspace by crossing the anti-matter interface.

Blake follows the Civil Administration space vessel London to the penal colony of Cygnus Alpha, where he intends to mount a rescue mission to save the other prisoners from the sadistic religious cult that runs the prison world. Blake infiltrates the religious cult’s complex, only to be captured by Vargas, the leader of a community that is populated by the descendants of the first prisoners sent to Cygnus Alpha. He also finds that the prisoners left behind by the London have succumbed to the Curse of Cygnus, a medical condition caused by the atmosphere of the planet, with the only treatment being a drug controlled by the fanatical cult leader, Vargas.

After Blake teleports down to the planet and does not immediately return, Avon suggests that he and Jenna move on with the riches available on the Liberator. Jenna actually agrees to this, but only after they have given Blake an hour to return. After learning from Vargas that the Curse of Cygnus is not really a serious threat, Blake manages to rescues some of the prisoners - Vila and Gan - who willingly join his crew. Vargas then tries to take over the Liberator, but is instead teleported into space where he dies. Meanwhile, three Federation pursuit ships are already tracking the Liberator…

With this third, slightly weaker episode, we are now introduced to two more of the seven, with the addition of Olag Gan and Villa Restal. We learn a little more about the alien spacecraft that Blake, Jenna and Avon have taken possession of and we have learned a little more about those three main characters and some of their personality traits. We also learn a great deal more about the Federation's penal system and life on the prison planet Cygnus Alpha. In a word - grim...

As before, Gareth Thomas, Sally Knyvette, Paul Darrow and Michael Keating are in fine form, whilst Brian Blessed practically steals the show as the egomaniacal and icy Vargas. He comes across very effectively as a cult leader and I can't help but think that drinking the Kool-Aid would be preferable to life under his reign of terror. He controls his cult members with an iron fist and a fraudulent sickness, which prevents any of his followers - or captives - from trying to escape.

3/5.

ant-mac

One gaffe or simple poor production that I noticed is that when Vargas is teleported to The Liberator he seems to wearing white trainers.
What makes you think that's a production gaffe?

The shoes are clearly not made on the planet, but I assume Vargas simply obtained them from either incoming prisoners' belongings, or from space traders.

If it's from space traders, that could explain one of the reasons for the creation of the fictional illness, the Curse of Cygnus. To control the prisoners and to stop them from escaping the planet with a space trader.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
What makes you think that's a production gaffe?

The shoes are clearly not made on the planet, but I assume Vargas simply obtained them from either incoming prisoners' belongings, or from space traders.

If it's from space traders, that could explain one of the reasons for the creation of the fictional illness, the Curse of Cygnus. To control the prisoners and to stop them from escaping the planet with a space trader.
From other prisoner's belongings is possible, I hadn't thought of that ,but space traders seems unlikely.
At the start when Laren looks at the moving point of light in the sky he recognises it as a ship bringing in prisoners, if traders were possible he'd not have been so positive that it was prisoners. I get the impression that CA was not likely to be visited by anyone, hence no guards.

ant-mac

From other prisoner's belongings is possible, I hadn't thought of that ,but space traders seems unlikely.
At the start when Laren looks at the moving point of light in the sky he recognises it as a ship bringing in prisoners, if traders were possible he'd not have been so positive that it was prisoners. I get the impression that CA was not likely to be visited by anyone, hence no guards.
Laren could just be assuming it was a prison ship from Earth, based upon some sort of timetable.

Although it's also possible that Vargas keeps knowledge of space traders and other visitors a secret, to help him maintain control.

And perhaps when the Federation first set up Cygnus Alpha, there was no one is a position to travel there and trade with the inhabitants. However, progress being what it is...

Besides, we know there are people living beyond Federation territory and control...