Review CATWEAZLE: THE EYE OF TIME - Episode 05

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
nintchdbpict000323008575-e1494510097553.jpg

MV5BMjhlYjdiMzktMTcwMS00ZDMwLWIzYTYtMTQyNmNlYmY5NjYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg1MDYzNzI@._V1_.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode....

Catweazle learns about betting on horses and accurately predicts winners. Catweazle meets a gypsy in a shop next to the bookmakers and uncovers a scam.
Meantime, Carrot is discovered by his father hanging around bookies.
With Hattie Jacques

Full Cast List....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0537645/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

On to the next episode....

THE MAGIC FACE

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/catweazle-the-magic-face-episode-06.4745/

Back to the previous episode....

THE WITCHING HOUR

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/catweazle-the-witching-hour-episode-04.4899/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
With the opening scene of Carrott and Catweazle fishing, I did come back to a theory I had been pondering on that maybe, just maybe the character of CATWEAZLE is a complete figment of Carrott's imagination, but there have already been too many scenes of others seeing the wizard for this to be a valid reading of the show.

It would, I think, have added an extra dimension to the show if this had been considered, but would also have made the scripting a real challenge for it to work and still be as entertaining, I guess. Just me pondering aloud! :emoji_alien:

Blimey! Hattie Jacques! Nice to see her outside the realms of HANCOCK, SYKES and the CARRY ON universe, although she did play an identical fortune teller in a blink and you miss it cameo in THE PUNCH AND JUDY MAN movie with Hancock, as I recall. Hattie casually smoking on kid's tv I see. How the world has moved on!

Sam is a likeable character, albeit a slow-witted one.

I like how Catweazle is much more adapted to things and routinely interprets the 20th Century world around him by filtering it in a way that he can understand, applying a "magic filter" to everything that is happening to him.

I like that Carrott is also believing Catweazle's interpretation of the horse racing and has total faith in the gobbledegook he came out with. Or is it? Perhaps Catweazle really can see who the winners are? Am writing this during the commercial break, so things could still go awry prediction wise!

Geoffrey Bayldon looking across a field at a scarecrow at the start of the second half. If only the actor had known what lay in the future. Unintentional foreshadowing, but to be expected in a show set around a farm.

A side mention here of Bayldon's absolute commitment to the role. He has yet, so far as I can see, to miss a beat in his absolute consistency of character, in addition to which he has wisely started to tone down the hysterical reactions to new things, such as getting on a bus. A mildly shocked reaction, but Catweazle is definitely starting to take things more in his stride now.

I like the fact that Catweazle can see through Hattie's fraudulence and maybe I am missing something, but how the heck did he know her real name and about the scam she and the bookie were working, unless he is indeed gifted. My powers of observation can be a bit useless though, so I may have missed something.

Another entertaining episode, although I felt it kind of evaporated a little, story wise - but we are left at the end with an ongoing nod to what seems to be a season arc, before there were such things, of Catweazle planning his - and Touchwood's - return home.

A nice episode in a season that seems to be filled so far with nice episodes. Adding up to a nice series! :emoji_alien:

Grade B- (The minus tacked on, only because I felt it fizzled out somewhat near the end. Otherwise up to the usual standard.)

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
I've said a few times that the length of these episodes really helps. It makes them feel breezy and fun without overstaying their welcome. This is the first week where it felt like the episode ended a bit too soon.

Another entertaining episode, although I felt it kind of evaporated a little, story wise
Maybe that was it. The plot built up around the betting, with first Sam and then Carrot failing to put a bet down. It looked like we were headed towards demonstrating Catweazle's premonition, I even imagined Sam say "Ere Carrot these aren't the horses I said to bet on", then them watching the races to either mysterious success or amusing failure, "Catweazle!!!" Carrot might cry. But it seemed to get distracted by the fortune teller and bam the episode was over.
I guess if the story was predictable then it wouldn't be good, it just felt odd.

I am beginning to get a little annoyed by the intro. I like the tune, it's the annoying sound effects but I suspect as a kid I would have liked them so I shall just ignore them.

I'm not sure how the bookies worked. It seemed a bit inconsistent that Carot could deliver bets for Sam but couldn't put them on for Catweazle. Sam did say it was already paid which seems an odd way to bet but maybe that was the arrangement, essentially Carot is just delivering Sam's message. But the bookies reaction to Carot seem to suggest he didn't want him in there, pointing to the sign. How did Carot put down Sam's previous bets then? As Carot never got to place Sam's bets why couldn't they just take them as Sam's?
I have so many questions :)

Anyway still liked the episode.
6 more questions I have about the bookies standards and practices, out of 10

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
This episode didn't exactly peter out, but changed tack in the last five minutes. When Carrot ran into his dad outside the bookies that ended that thread. We then followed Catweazle into the parlour to meet Hattie Jacques. Lovely appearance from her. Catweazle discovers bananas which was cool. Catweazle quite likely to bite straight into it , must be a strange looking thing from his view.
I imagine previously Carrot may have placed bets before for Sam, but possibly with another bloke behind the counter.
7/10

Last edited:

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
This episode was just sort of a bust all around for me. There were opportunities for a fun show, but nothing materialized.

We start with a shot of two people fishing in a small boat. I thought it was Carrot and his dad for a few moments, but it was Carrot and Catweazle. Cat was catching fish, but only because he was cheating and using magic. He caught 13 fish and told Carrot that was a lucky number to a dark practitioner like himself. His Dad and Sam come by and Cat has to hide in a tent. Sam wants to eat the fish he sees cooking but it’s the 13th one and Edward says he can’t. “Why are you cooking it if you’re not going to eat it,” Sam asks. Indeed, I thought the same. If it was the lucky fish and you didn’t want to lose it, why cook it? Dad tells Carrot to leave some fish in the lake for everyone else, unaware that he didn’t catch any of them. Nothing much going on there.

It turns out Sam is a gambler, or at least he plays the horses. He rides with Mr. Bennett into town in order to place a bet but sees a fortune teller first. A golden opportunity is there for the lady fortune teller to be funny, but she isn’t. She doesn’t even have a funny accent. Her parrot keeps talking but just seems to say the same things over and over and she just looks annoyed at the bird. She gives Sam the names of three horses and then (big surprise) she calls the betting parlor and tells them they’ve got another sucker coming. But Sam is rushed off by Bennett and has to ride home without placing his bets. So he asks Carrot to place them for him, saying – it sounded like – the money was already there, they just needed the horses’ names. So Carrot writes them down.

Catweazle asks about the writing and Carrot explains about betting – guessing on which horse will win. CW tells him it wouldn’t be guessing with him – he has “The Eye of Time.” Yes, that’s the set-up. Cat can read the future. He holds the paper to his forehead and then babbles a lot of mumbo jumbo and tosses it away. Carrot thinks it was worthless junk, but later he sees Sam watching the races and realizes one of the phrases Cat used was the name of the winning horse. He asks if any of the other phrases could refer to a horse and sure enough – he has the winners for the next two races. He tells Sam he must change his bets. But when Sam is called by his annoyed Dad to get to work, he takes his own money and announces he’s going to win a thousand pounds for the farm. He must think he’s got a lot of money, or that the odds for the races are really huge.

So to get down there, he has to steal a coat from a scarecrow to dress Catweazle in and take him on a bus. Lots of opportunities for laughs; Cat could think the bus was “eating” him for instance, but nothing much happens. Carrot goes into the betting parlor but can’t place a bet because he’s fewer than 18. That makes sense, except how did he make the bets for Sam then? He tells them he’s making them for Catweazle, but Cat had followed the same sign Sam saw and gone to see the fortune teller. A real magician meets a fake one, right? But once again, no laughs to be found. He gives her his familiar and she gets grossed out by the frog. He realizes she’s a phony, but not even in a fun way. It was probably that bit about “you’ll receive a letter from a relative” that tipped him off, but from his statements it was more like she just told him a lot of trivial things. He uses his magic knife and gets her to tell the truth – which isn’t funny either. She couldn’t have a silly-sounding real name like Mildred or something? She just kind of collapses and he steals her crystal ball. She looks confused and annoyed when she wakes up. So Sam lost all the money he bet and Carrot doesn’t get to even place a bet, plus his Dad is all upset with him for helping Sam to gamble. Funny how he was all over the place just in time to keep Sam and Carrot from doing any wagering but still hasn’t caught on to the old man living in his water tower and sneaking around with his son.

So this one just gets 3 lists of bets to place that Carrot leaves around carelessly to alert his Dad that he’s helping Sam gamble. For a script about knowing the future, the writers sure didn’t see this one coming.