Review CATWEAZLE: THE MAGIC FACE - Episode 06

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
nintchdbpict000323008575-e1494510097553.jpg 00.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode....

An American photographer accidentally captures Catweazle on film , and visiting Hexwood farm asks Carrot to find this mystery man and ask if he'll pose for pictures.
Catweazle believes his soul has been stolen and must be a slave to photographer Mrs Derringer and ends up in her house . Carrot tries to rescue him.

Full Cast List....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0537652/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

On to the next episode....

THE TELLING BONE

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/catweazle-the-telling-bone-episode-07.4610/#post-40492

Back to the previous episode....

THE EYE OF TIME

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/catweazle-the-eye-of-time-episode-05.4608/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I think that the series has hit it's stride now, with each episode seeming to be a lovely little side adventure, but hanging over the show is Catweazle's overwhelming desire to return to his own time.,

I don't know who the two actresses playing the photographers were, but I would not be surprised if they have appeared in other shows or films of note.

I thought that the montage of photographs being taken of Catweazle were funny, and the accompanying blasts of light added to the humour.

When the photograph fell from the clutches of both Catweazle and Carrot, falling to the ground, next to the car, I fully expected that to lead to a continuity error. I doubt very much that this was scripted to happen and was fully expecting the offending photo to have vanished when the car pulled away, but was pleasantly surprised to see that it had not. Carrot then picks it up and puts it in his back pocket, before taking up pursuit. The fact that a continuity error was avoided shows that great care was taken over such things back then, at least during this show and it was good to see such professionalism.

One thing I did not expect to happen was to see a Catweazle episode end on a cliffhanger, but here there was one which was another pleasant surprise in a show which I did not expect to surprise me in it's storytelling at all.

Just to clarify, I never watched Catweazle back in the day, and have only seen one episode on dvd since then. I have known of the show for decades and read articles on it, but it is good to finally work one's way through it. The style of it is reminiscent to me of WORZEL GUMMIDGE, which I did watch, so it feels very familiar in a way.

And it is really growing on me. I think it's a timeless classic from what I have seen so far

And this is my favourite episode so far as I think the show is fully up and running now.

So, for that it gets my highest mark so far....

Grade: A-

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
This is an excellent episode. Love poor Catweazle being as Carrot says " absolutely useless" , you feel sorry for him. Laughed at the bucket scene, throwing the water in the car. Catweazle confronted by chocolate sponge cake was a delight. He seemed to like it anyway. Maud and Mrs Derringer were a nice team, and good performances from both of the actresses. Sam obviously sees himself as a racing driver, at least in his imagination. The Eleanor and Maud working relationship was a bit strange. I presume Eleanor is the rich boss and Maud works for her, and must be paid well.to put up with her abrasive manner.
10/10

Last edited:

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
So we hit our first 2 parter, maybe. I was hoping the show might do this as the limited run time would prevent them from doing stories with a bit more depth.
In terms of the show as a whole. I didn't know what to expect going in, the concept sounded interesting and of course the name.
I did have concerns it would get tired quickly with very little to discuss and the same scenarios and jokes used up each week.
So far the show has been a very pleasant watch. I'm not ready yet to call it a classic but I do look forward to my weekly Catweazle watch. The change of pace is quite refreshing really, yes it isn't incredibly deep but it is well acted, amusing and the stories have kept my interest.
Also there has been enough to chat about from musings about directions episodes take to interpretations of the magic in Catweazle.

So on to this week.
It looks like Castle Saburac is getting quite cluttered. I think Catweazle has put some sand down on the floor which should really help with his damp problem.
The photographer and her assistant are good characters.Mrs Derringer reminded me a little of Diana Rigg, her assistant Maud reminded me a little of Caroline John, though much more stoney faced.

The Eleanor and Maud working relationship was a bit strange. I presume Eleanor is the rich boss and Maud works for her, and must be paid well.to put up with her abrasive manner.
Yes she did have to put up with a lot. Eleanor is presented as the very artistic type, she has the talent and "the eye" but is very impulsive and this can come off as rude. I imagine Maud is the business brain, she ensures Eleanor is where she needs to be and actually markets her photos, she has to managed Eleanor.

The photos of Catweazle were pretty good, it must have been fun setting up places he could stand and just look glum. I bet there were a load photos not featured with him posing with Carrot or dancing away.
Catweazle is so defeated in this episode and makes for quite a sorry sight when he is standing dejected by the roadside.
I did think it was a bit harsh of Eleanor to tell him to just hang on the back of her car, seems a very dangerous way to ride about.
She does seem to take a shine to him and with his insistence that he is her slave she does take him on and does plan to pay him. I do get the feeling that once the newness had rubbed off and she had taken all the photos she needed she would forget him like a Christmas puppy leaving Maud to sort the whole thing out.

Sam doesn't get much to do in this episode except his amusing pretend driving the car, it really has been nice to see him change from the initial antagonist to a bit of a friend to Carrot.

So the photo episode finally pushes Catweazle to do his magic, perhaps. I did wonder how this might pan out, I suspect he won't have gone far but it does offer the possibility in the future for other time related stories. Perhaps he transports Carrot in a sort of Back to the Future type episode, "Carrot I am going to send you back", "Back where?", "Back to Yon Future!"
Or perhaps we can go back to another time like with Carrots dad as a younger man or even a child. I don't think they will attempt the running into yourself storyline and I suspect that time travel will not be a major feature, but I can dream.

Overall a decent episode some nice moments, good supporting guest cast.
7 feet away, upside down and up a tree is where I think Catweazle has gone, out of 10

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
We start with Catweazle and Carrot rummaging for junk in an old house, apparently owned by his Dad. Carrot warns the wizard that his Dad is bringing someone over, but he ends up fumbling around until Mr. Bennet arrives with a lady photographer Eleanor Derringer and her lady aide Maud. In trying to hide, he pokes his head near a window and Eleanor spots him and gets a shot of him. The others didn’t see him, so she brings up the digital shot and points him out. Oh right, this is 1969; never mind.

Ms. Derringer later develops her pictures and there is CW at the window. She thought Carrot was acting odd earlier and when he gets spooked by the photo she figures he knows the mystery man. Carrot shows the photo to Cat who gets panicked that his image has been captured. He tears up the photo, which should have solved the whole problem. But no, Carrot tells Catweazle that the lady has negatives and can print many more pictures. Now, the wizard is certain that she owns him because she has his image and goes out to meet her on the road, where she asks him to climb on back of her car so she can take him home and photograph him some more. He stretches himself out on the back end of the car and rides off that way which is a ridiculous and dangerous way to get around.

Thinking he must serve her, Cat allows her to photograph him some more and tells her that he is hers to command. She thinks he’s just being enchanting, but decides to take him up on his offer to help and even suggests he be paid two shillings an hour. She makes the mistake of suggesting he wash her car. He takes the bucket of water and dumps it into the seats. Carrot arrives and – seeing the two women working outside – tells Catweazle he’ll go in the house and steal the photos back. All he asks Cat to do is push the horn button on the car if he sees the ladies heading back to the house. Behaving like a complete idiot, CW doesn’t even look at the ladies, but decides to hear what the horn sounds like. Of course, it immediately gets stuck. That only happens in sitcoms. I’ve never had a car horn stick on me or known of anyone else who did. More often, the darn thing doesn’t honk when I want it to. Carrot is just getting the last photo (and the negatives which were conveniently pinned to the board as well) and gets spooked, making him knock over the photo board and break the lady’s lovely tea set. He and Cat manage to escape and he throws a spell which causes her to get a flat tire. The last we see of the two ladies, Maud is replacing the tire on the car and Eleanor is telling her she’s taking too long. At least, I give them credit for showing that a lady can change a tire.

A bit of mystery at the end. Cat moans in despair after another chant to get him home has failed. He chants something else – and then vanishes. As there are 20 episodes left, he obviously didn’t get back home. But what happened to him?

Overall, laying out the basic plot was smoother than last week. And the two ladies were an interesting contrast in types, Eleanor more effervescent and outgoing, Maud more serious and quiet. Maud is repulsed by Cat’s frog, but Eleanor thinks he’s charming and even argues he’s a toad. Either one was livelier than the fortune teller last week. But, my problem is the whole attitude of the writers about what kind of behavior is okay. Cat’s problems are caused by the fact that he was trespassing in a house he didn’t belong in. Meanwhile, Carrot thinks it’s okay to steal photos and negatives from a professional photographer that Cat willingly posed for (even if he thought he had no choice). Further, he smashes her expensive tea set during his breaking and entering and burglary session. No consequences to him and Cat, while the ladies get soaked sitting in the wet car seats, have their property destroyed and get a flat tire to boot. Not funny or clever. Hopefully, Eleanor didn't have all her negatives pinned to the board, so she can still salvage some nice shots. I can only give this one 4 old suitcases, which Cat hopes to use for travelling – in time, that is.

By the way, Carrot still cannot seem to understand Catweazle’s desire to get home, even if it is in the past. It would be great to have an episode where Catweazle casts a spell and both of them are sent to 1066. Cat is delighted to be home, and Edward realizes what it’s like to be taken from family and friends and familiar surroundings. In the end, he wakes up to find out it was just a dream and then goes to tell Catweazle that he now understands. Probably won’t happen but it would be a nice story.