Review Deadwood (2004)

Discussion in 'TV: 2001 - 2010' started by High Plains Drifter, Feb 28, 2017.

1. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter The Drifter
    VIP

Talk about the show here.

2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

McShane: HBO Keen To Make “Deadwood” Movie

mcshane-hbo-keen-to-make-deadwood-movie-696x464.jpg

For a decade there’s been talk of a long overdue telemovie wrapping up HBO’s iconic western “Deadwood” with things picking up steam in the last year or so.

Things got exciting back in April when actor Ian McShane revealed that a script from show creator David Milch had been turned in. In a new interview this week with Variety, McShane went further with some encouraging news:

“There are signs that HBO are quite keen to make it. They’ve got the script. It’s when they’ll make an offer and when we can fit it in.

We probably won’t start ‘American Gods’ until probably the end of the year or early next year, so there’s a window when we can do ‘Deadwood,’ but they need to get everybody together. I mean all the characters that David [Milch] wants to put in the show. I’m probably going to have breakfast with him later this week.

But no, they’re keen to do it, and I’m sure it would seem not only artistically a perfect time to do it but also commercially because there’s always been a revised interested in ‘Deadwood’.

It went off the air far too soon for all the reasons you say, but that’s a long time ago. It seems like a two hour film would be a nice thing for all the people that want to see it and all of us who were deprived of the gig too early.”

The cast for the original series included McShane, Timothy Olyphant, Molly Parker, Jim Beaver, W. Earl Brown, Dayton Callie, Kim Dickens, Dora DuFran, Brad Dourif, Anna Gunn, John Hawkes and Jeffrey Jones.

#3 Doctor Omega, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  4. High Plains Drifter

VIP

I so want to see it get a good ending, and finally wrap it up. I always loved the show. Did they kill off William Sanderson or is he not returning?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Have never seen it, to be honest, but spotted this news today. :emoji_alien:

it must have something going for it, for fans to still want to see a fitting conclusion to this day.

6. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Appearing at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour on Wednesday, HBO president of programming Casey Bloys was adamant that various projects announced by the network a while back are still very much on the way.

Bloys offered an update on the “Deadwood” revival saying: “I read the script. The one thing I was concerned about was that the script would stand on its own. David [Milch] totally delivered on that. It’s a terrific script. If we can do a budget that makes sense for us, find a director and get the cast together, we’re inclined to do it.”

Separately at least two “Deadwood” regulars have confirmed in recent weeks that the network has begun reaching out to discuss scheduling availability – it’s looking like this might happen after all.

7. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

“Deadwood” Telemovie To Film In Fall 2018?

deadwood-telemovie-to-film-in-fall-2018-696x464.jpg

Fans have wanted it for a decade, proper talk of it potentially returning has taken place over the past two years, and now finally – there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel for HBO’s “Deadwood”.

TV Line reports that, though the project has yet to receive a formal green light, the long in the works “Deadwood” telemovie revival is targeting a Fall 2018 date to start production.

Serious talk of the project actually making a comeback began in August 2015, and earlier this year creator David Milch confirmed he had turned in a script that would appeal to fans and non-fans alike. HBO programming boss Casey Bloys added that the ‘script is terrific’ and has been talking to directors, while it has been confirmed that former cast members have been approached about their availability and are apparently inclined to do the project.

Deadline adds that there’s long been rumor the work will focus on the town burning (which actually happened in September 1879) and saloon impresario Al Swearengen (Ian McShane) fleeing by barge.

8. High Plains Drifter

VIP

About damn time. The cast is getting older, and I'm just happy they are finally getting a true ending to the series. Seriously wish TNT would get off their asses and follow suit and do the same with Lonesome Dove tv show. They left the last episode open, and cancelled the show. This lso can be said with My Name Is Earl.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor