High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
QGERG.jpg

A show set in the late 1800s, revolving around the characters of Deadwood, South Dakota; a town of deep corruption and crime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talk about the show here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
McShane: HBO Keen To Make “Deadwood” Movie

mcshane-hbo-keen-to-make-deadwood-movie-696x464.jpg

For a decade there’s been talk of a long overdue telemovie wrapping up HBO’s iconic western “Deadwood” with things picking up steam in the last year or so.

Things got exciting back in April when actor Ian McShane revealed that a script from show creator David Milch had been turned in. In a new interview this week with Variety, McShane went further with some encouraging news:

“There are signs that HBO are quite keen to make it. They’ve got the script. It’s when they’ll make an offer and when we can fit it in.

We probably won’t start ‘American Gods’ until probably the end of the year or early next year, so there’s a window when we can do ‘Deadwood,’ but they need to get everybody together. I mean all the characters that David [Milch] wants to put in the show. I’m probably going to have breakfast with him later this week.

But no, they’re keen to do it, and I’m sure it would seem not only artistically a perfect time to do it but also commercially because there’s always been a revised interested in ‘Deadwood’.

It went off the air far too soon for all the reasons you say, but that’s a long time ago. It seems like a two hour film would be a nice thing for all the people that want to see it and all of us who were deprived of the gig too early.”

The cast for the original series included McShane, Timothy Olyphant, Molly Parker, Jim Beaver, W. Earl Brown, Dayton Callie, Kim Dickens, Dora DuFran, Brad Dourif, Anna Gunn, John Hawkes and Jeffrey Jones.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Have never seen it, to be honest, but spotted this news today. :emoji_alien:

it must have something going for it, for fans to still want to see a fitting conclusion to this day.

Doctor Omega

Appearing at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour on Wednesday, HBO president of programming Casey Bloys was adamant that various projects announced by the network a while back are still very much on the way.

Bloys offered an update on the “Deadwood” revival saying: “I read the script. The one thing I was concerned about was that the script would stand on its own. David [Milch] totally delivered on that. It’s a terrific script. If we can do a budget that makes sense for us, find a director and get the cast together, we’re inclined to do it.”

Separately at least two “Deadwood” regulars have confirmed in recent weeks that the network has begun reaching out to discuss scheduling availability – it’s looking like this might happen after all.

Doctor Omega

“Deadwood” Telemovie To Film In Fall 2018?

deadwood-telemovie-to-film-in-fall-2018-696x464.jpg

Fans have wanted it for a decade, proper talk of it potentially returning has taken place over the past two years, and now finally – there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel for HBO’s “Deadwood”.

TV Line reports that, though the project has yet to receive a formal green light, the long in the works “Deadwood” telemovie revival is targeting a Fall 2018 date to start production.

Serious talk of the project actually making a comeback began in August 2015, and earlier this year creator David Milch confirmed he had turned in a script that would appeal to fans and non-fans alike. HBO programming boss Casey Bloys added that the ‘script is terrific’ and has been talking to directors, while it has been confirmed that former cast members have been approached about their availability and are apparently inclined to do the project.

Deadline adds that there’s long been rumor the work will focus on the town burning (which actually happened in September 1879) and saloon impresario Al Swearengen (Ian McShane) fleeing by barge.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
About damn time. The cast is getting older, and I'm just happy they are finally getting a true ending to the series. Seriously wish TNT would get off their asses and follow suit and do the same with Lonesome Dove tv show. They left the last episode open, and cancelled the show. This lso can be said with My Name Is Earl.

Doctor Omega

“Deadwood” Revival Scores A Tax Credit

deadwood-revival-scores-a-tax-credit-696x464.jpg

While Timothy Olyphant threw a bucket of cold water on the anticipation of “Deadwood” fans the other week, saying he doesn’t think the proposed telemovie revival of the HBO series will come together due to scheduling issues, however the network itself has now re-ignited the flame.

Deadline reports that the long-in-the-works telemovie has just received a $4.2 million California tax incentive. While HBO hasn’t greenlit the telemovie, a tax benefit application requires both a finished script and financing to be in place.

Additionally earlier this year, HBO president Casey Bloys confirmed that the network was eying a Fall production start, and California Film Commission regulations require a film or a TV series to start principal photography within six months of being approved for a tax credit in order to receive it (exceptions are being made in special circumstances).

That would mean that “Deadwood” should start filming by the beginning of October. Talks with the cast continue at present due to availability and the work schedules of the sprawling ensemble.

Tuco

Member: Rank 2
After hearing about Deadwood on and off for a few years, I finally watched the series back in April . . . and just last night I finished watching it a second time. Wonderful series, and I am very glad to hear that a movie is highly likely.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
After hearing about Deadwood on and off for a few years, I finally watched the series back in April . . . and just last night I finished watching it a second time. Wonderful series, and I am very glad to hear that a movie is highly likely.
From what Dayton Callie, W. Earl Brown, William Sanderson, and Garret Dillahunt have been posting it sounds like they might be starting filming this fall. I'll be happy when they get this movie started/done. Love the series and want to see it finished off right. If anything maybe it will start a trend in finishing up tv series the right way.

Doctor Omega

“Deadwood” Star Raves About Film Script

deadwood-star-raves-about-film-script-696x464.jpg

After years of speculation, it was confirmed the other month that HBO’s “Deadwood” telemovie was on the way with creator/showrunner David Milch having completed the script and with the cast schedules locked in for a shoot starting October 5th.

Now one of the show’s actors, W. Earl Brown who played Dan Dority in the original series, is reprising his role in the movie and has taken to Twitter to talk about the film’s script which he recently received. The western drama was famed for its wondrously florid writing style and Brown has gushed about the work Milch has done:

“I just read the final draft. Holy. S–t. In the course of those two hours, my emotions ricocheted in every fucking direction: exhilaration to melancholy; hoots of joy to screams of despair. The Maestro has topped himself.

As my eye scanned the page, I read the Dan Dority dialogue aloud. Milch’s words are like a scrumptious meal; the complexity of its flavours is something to savour. The structure is essentially the same as the first version I read a year and a half ago, but the complexities of the relationships, the emotional peaks and depths, are all sharpened to a razor-fine edge. It’s gut-wrenching.”

Daniel Minahan will direct the movie, which will reunite the core cast with basically everyone back. Brown says one exception is Titus Welliver who won’t be able to return as Silas Adams due to his filming commitments on Amazon’s “Bosch”.

No air date is planned as yet but a Spring/Summer 2019 launch is looking likely.

Doctor Omega

Filming Begins On HBO’s “Deadwood” Movie

filming-begins-on-hbos-deadwood-movie-696x464.jpg

HBO Films has announced the official start of production in Los Angeles on the “Deadwood” telemovie which continues the story begun in David Milch’s critically acclaimed, Emmy-winning HBO series which ran from 2004-2006.

In the Deadwood film, the characters of the series are reunited after ten years to celebrate South Dakota’s statehood. Former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested and old wounds are reopened, as all are left to navigate the inevitable changes that modernity and time have wrought.

Confirmed returning cast members are: Ian McShane (Al Swearengen), Timothy Olyphant (Seth Bullock), Molly Parker (Alma Ellsworth), Paula Malcomson (Trixie), John Hawkes (Sol Star), Anna Gunn (Martha Bullock), Dayton Callie (Charlie Utter), Brad Dourif (Doc Cochran), Robin Weigert (“Calamity” Jane Canary), William Sanderson (E.B. Farnum), Kim Dickens (Joanie Stubbs) and Gerald McRaney (George Hearst).

The film will also feature a new cast member – Jade Pettyjohn (Caroline). The project was written by Milch and is directed by Daniel Minahan. David Milch, Carolyn Strauss, Daniel Minahan, Gregg Fienberg, Scott Stephens, Ian McShane, and Timothy Olyphant all executive produce.

Doctor Omega

“Detective” Creator Helped Pen “Deadwood”

detective-creator-helped-pen-deadwood-696x464.jpg

While the upcoming third season of HBO’s “True Detective” is mostly penned by show creator Nic Pizzolatto, he did bring on “Deadwood” creator David Milch to help write part of the season.

Speaking at a press conference recently, Pizzolatto explained that the deal for Milch to help him on “True Detective” was sort of a quid-pro-quo born out of the upcoming “Deadwood” film. Pizzolatto helped out Milch on the film and as a result, Milch in return helped with ‘Detective’. Pizzolatto tells Indiewire:

“We had gotten together because Scott [Stephens] is a producer on ‘Deadwood,’ and he had brought me in for a couple of weeks to sort of work for David on his ‘Deadwood’ film script. This was around when I was still figuring out the idea for ‘True Detective’ 3, and we had such a great time.

He turned me on to writing out loud, which I’d never done before, and I ended up writing most of the second half of the season out loud, which was a much more spiritually healthy thing to do than be alone in a room with a blank page… There were times when I was doing one character and he was doing another, and we were like the duelling banjos or something in ‘Deliverance.’ It was so special to me.

I knew he was going to have to go back and do ‘Deadwood’ and get that on its feet again, but I was just glad we had that time together. It’s something I’m going to remember and take with me for the rest of my life.”

Of the new season of “True Detective,” Pizzolatto says it’s more of a focus on character than the last, complete with intertwining timelines and a much more complicated structure. It also “reaches for hope a bit more” and debuts on HBO on January 13th. The “Deadwood” movie airs sometime in late 2019.

Doctor Omega

McShane Teases “Deadwood” Film Story

mcshane-teases-deadwood-film-story-696x464.jpg

Talking up the second season of Starz’s “American Gods” at the TCA winter press tour yesterday, actor Ian McShane was asked about the upcoming “Deadwood” film and offered some details about how the story picks up ten years later following the show’s third (and final) season finale.

Back when the show was being made, one suggestion for the season was to follow McShane’s Al Swearengen hop on a river barge and sailing off following a great fire. That’s not what’s happening in the film though and he tells Deadline:

“Deadwood is celebrating South Dakota as a state, and Hearst has come back and Alma has come back in town, so you have all the main characters converging and how they changed in ten years. Now, Hearst wants to put telegraphs in town, which isn’t going too well. Al has had a little bit too much of that over the years. There’s a surprise for Trixie and Star.”

McShane says the process of shooting this was different to the series: “This script was done, but nothing like we did before because it’s a two-hour movie, it’s a whole different thing (next) to doing an episodic.” He also says the film “ends leaving you wondering” and adds that: “if it makes $115 million, HBO will somehow find a way to do another one.” An air date for the project has not yet been set.

Timothy Olyphant (Bullock), Molly Parker (Alma Ellsworth), Paula Malcomson (Trixie), John Hawkes (Sol Star), Anna Gunn (Martha Bullock), Dayton Callie (Charlie Utter), Brad Dourif (Doc Cochran), Robin Weigert (“Calamity” Jane Canary), William Sanderson (E.B. Farnum), Kim Dickens (Joanie Stubbs) and Gerald McRaney (George Hearst) all return for the new film which was written by David Milch.

Doctor Omega

Ian McShane Talks The “Deadwood” Movie

ian-mcshane-talks-the-deadwood-movie-696x464.jpg

Considering he’s essentially the main star, it comes as little surprise that Ian McShane is one of the fortunate few who has seen an early rough cut of the upcoming “Deadwood” telemovie.

Thirteen years after the show ended, series creator David Milch has penned and filmed a two-hour film which sees almost all the major cast reunited for the tale set a decade later as characters return to the city to celebrate South Dakota’s statehood and former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested, and old wounds are reopened.

McShane, currently out promoting “Hellboy,” was asked about “Deadwood” by Colliderand offered his usual brutally honest take on it:

“Deadwood we just finished. I saw it the other day. Tim and I had a few comments. I think it’s – yeah, it’s OK. Yeah, it’s good. Again it’s, you know, don’t expect an episodic piece. It’s difficult when you’ve gotta make a two hour movie of an episodic TV.

But I think they got the setting right, they got the links right, and they got everybody back which is really great, ’cause they could have made you know, ‘Seth and Al ride the high country together!’ That wouldn’t have been Deadwood. That would just be me and Tim sort of catching it… this is (David) Milch Deadwood circa 10 years later. Statehood difficulty, characters have moved on; they’re a little changed which is great.”

McShane joins Timothy Olyphant, Molly Parker, Paula Malcomson, John Hawkes, Anna Gunn, Dayton Callie, Brad Dourif, Robin Weigert and more in the project which is set to premiere on May 31st, exclusively on HBO.