chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
While it's certainly a bit juvenile to do such a stunt, I can't help but feel it's no different than anyone bashing her performance before they ever see the new series. I get it, there are fans who are pissed that they cast her in the role. But I guess, for me, it seems just as juvenile to give up on a show over it. If you haven't been happy with the show for a while, and this is just one more thing that irritates you, then by all means, walk away. But I've still enjoyed the show, and I'm excited to see where they go with this new incarnation. If I could put up with Mel as a companion, I can deal with this.
What planet does Moffat live on?
Beta Moffat VI, in the Self-Absorbent system. He's the Emperor, and everyone else has had their mouths sewn shut because he loves he sound of his own voice. But beware, the old Emperor, the dreaded Cheeto King, still longs to have his voice heard, and is looking to overthrow his reign.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I saw that on FB the other day! You can tell she looks a bit miffed by it all! Poor girl! She should stick to doing what she knows best and not trying to take on a role that is beloved by millions of fans or was!
JB

johnnybear

While it's certainly a bit juvenile to do such a stunt, I can't help but feel it's no different than anyone bashing her performance before they ever see the new series. I get it, there are fans who are pissed that they cast her in the role. But I guess, for me, it seems just as juvenile to give up on a show over it. If you haven't been happy with the show for a while, and this is just one more thing that irritates you, then by all means, walk away. But I've still enjoyed the show, and I'm excited to see where they go with this new incarnation. If I could put up with Mel as a companion, I can deal with this.

Beta Moffat VI, in the Self-Absorbent system. He's the Emperor, and everyone else has had their mouths sewn shut because he loves he sound of his own voice. But beware, the old Emperor, the dreaded Cheeto King, still longs to have his voice heard, and is looking to overthrow his reign.
I haven't enjoyed Who for many a year myself, not since The Doctor's Wife! Even Day of The Doctor which was okay wasn't really that good with it's two stories that didn't really match up! Capaldi's reign was a disaster! He was terrible! He didn't know whether to be a Hartnell or Pertwee clone or settle for his own crappy hoodie outfit!!! And when he validates Whitaker's taking over the role I felt like shouting you've not made one single episode that I've enjoyed so what do you know, pal?? Sadly I'm going to walk away from Who because I've had enough of Moffhack and Chinball's and their ideas of what Who should be despite what the fans are asking for! Seems hypocritical of Chinballs considering his anti stance against JNT in 1986 doesn't it? :emoji_angry:
JB

The Seeker

I personally don’t think Capaldi is to blame, if his tenure is mediocre. The writers and Moffat didn’t know what to do with him, not at first anyway. I don’t really think he came into his own as the Doctor until the 10th season, and even then he was served with so-so stories. David Tennant got all the really good stories, and I don’t think his version of the Doctor deserved it as much as Capaldi (I really like Capaldi - and Tennant’s tenure annoys me, with his companions making goo-goo eyes at him all the time).

chainsaw_metal1

Capaldi's run suffered from the long standing problem of making the companions superheroes. Rose became this legend, although the connection between her and The Doctor is understandable - to a point - because she helped him deal with his PTSD. Captain Jack becomes immortal and reforms Torchwood (still, I wish they could bring Torchwood back and get it back to how it was in the first two seasons). Donna becomes a meta-Time Lord. River becomes...River. Amy and Rory become legends. Clara becomes the Impossible Girl. Only Martha ended up somewhat normal, but they pulled a Liz Shaw on her.

johnnybear

I liked Martha, probably more than any of the other NuWho companions! Amy sort of grew on me a bit but I never liked Clara much at all especially with Capaldi! She was badly written and acted!
JB

chainsaw_metal1

I don't dislike any of the modern companions. It's just that, once upon a time, you traveled with the Doctor, then you got on with your life. Sure, it wasn't always smooth. There is a great comic book story (maybe from the comic strips) where the Sixth runs into Jamie as an old man, and he finds out that the memory swipe didn't work, and Jamie ended up being a recluse, shunned by his clan. And in the new show(s), Sarah Jane went on to pine for the Doctor, and took up his work here on Earth, and they even brought back Jo, saying that she became an adventurer and Iron Fist's grandmother, all because of the Doctor's influence.

But it has gotten to this point of presenting the companions as almost more important than the Doctor in some of these stories. I get that some of that comes from the fear that they keep presenting companions as little more than someone to bounce exposition off of.