Review Doctor Who in Print!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
vworp.jpg

I picked this up the other day.

200 pages of DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE comic related stuff and a c.d. thrown in to boot.

More my cup of tea than the actual DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE nowadays.

Doctor Omega

From the BBC Dr Who ebook 'Human Nature' by Paul Cornell.

The Doctor and Bernice together again after an adventure where the Doctor became human for a while and fell in love.

A melancholy conclusion as the Doctor leaves the teacher he has grown to love and returns to his wanderings across the universe with his companion and protector, Bernice Summerfield back at his side.

The story was later turned into a TV script for David Tennant's Doctor in 2007.

heading_off_by_harnois75.jpg

Doctor Omega

For the Vworp Vworp! fanzine. Done in the style of a late 70/early 80s Target novelisation - assuming that the well known DWW strip had in fact been made as a TV adventure (as it was originally submitted to be).

Huge thanks to Colin Brockhurst for putting it into the Target layout.

the_iron_legion_by_harnois75.jpg

Doctor Omega

0000.jpg

Good Luck to the new DWM Time Team from Long Ago

Today Doctor Who Magazine announced a regeneration to the Time Team, with a new team for a new era.

https://www.blogtorwho.com/good-luck-to-the-new-dwm-time-team-from-long-ago/

DWMTimeTeam.jpg

e Time Team feature began in 1999 with the quartet of Richard Bignell, Clayton Hickman, Jacqueline Rayner and Peter Ware beginning an epic journey to review every Doctor Who story in order. It was an endeavour that took 10 years to complete. After a hiatus, a new team ventured into the modern era of Doctor Who with ‘Rose’ and concluding with ‘The Almost People’. Now in 2018, the concept has been dusted off once again with a much bigger cast of reviewers.

In this incarnation, there have a been a number of changes. First, the team has swelled to twelve. Obviously, that’s quite a lot to fit on a sofa so there will be some rotation. Second, the episodes will also no longer be watched in order. Instead, episodes will be watched based on a theme. In DWM525, five of the twelve watch ‘Rose’, ‘Spearhead from Space’ and ‘Time and the Rani’, the first appearances of the 9th, 3rd and 7th Doctors respectively.

This new team is significantly different. Their gender and ethnicity are very diverse and they are all part of that first-generation of Nu-Who adults. The twelve-member team has an average age of 22 with ten of the twelve under 25. The two oldest members clock in at 26 years-old. (Ouch – That definitely makes me feel ancient.)

To put that in perspective, this group would have started watching when aged between 7 to 13 years old as Doctor Who returned to the screen with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper. And it would be no surprise if a number of them were Time-Zero-Tennant Fans who began their adventures with the Tenth Doctor. This is definitely a youthquake.

There are a few names that will be familiar to fans. Christel Dee, the host of Doctor Who Fan Show, and Jacob Dudman, actor-impressionist for Big Finish’s The Tenth and Eleventh Doctor Who Chronicles will be the most well-known. The two co-founders of the Time Ladies, Beth Axford and Kezia Newson, and BBC News broadcast journalist, Gerard Groves, are also in the group. The remaining team members consist of a few YouTube vloggers, Claudia Boleyn and Luke Cutforth, plus several university students, Antoinette Belle, Dan James Frank (Claudia’s brother), Miles Hall, Sam Saffold and Zainab Sheriff.

It will be interesting to see how accepting the fan base is for this new Time Team. The age of the team is without a doubt going to make some of the older fans feel left behind and that their opinions have now been disregarded in favour of youth. I, too, must admit I’m wary that the age spread of the group is so narrow and I wonder if the past will be lost in this relook at old episodes.

This month’s article made it apparent that a large number of the team do not know the history behind some of the episodes, which is unusual for the Time Team. The context and background to the older episodes could be hard for the team to pick up, especially when the programme isn’t being watched in order. And l am curious to see how some of the political messages that were embedded in the programme are interpreted.

Perhaps I am being too pessimistic. This is fresh new look at Doctor Who from the viewpoint of a new generation and it is bound to be different. And I was heartened to see Christel Dee’s exclamation about the Seventh Doctor. “It’s the same show. That Doctor’s like my Doctor!” And yes, we had the roundels in the past too. So I’m giving this team a chance to love the past, present and future of this show as much as I do and I invite other fans to do the same.

All that remains is for “Long Ago” to wish good luck to the new Time Team.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Doctor Who fans boycott official magazine over young age of new reviewer team
Furious subscribers threaten to stop buying the publication after youngsters – with an average age of 22 – were invited to review early episodes of the sci-fi show in a revamped feature called Time Team

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/doctor-who-fans-boycott-official-12496989

thumbs-down-smiley-hi.png

Doctor Who’s most loyal fans are going into meltdown (again).

And the reason for their fury? The Doctor Who Magazine has just assembled a team of young fan reviewers to look at early episodes... and the veteran viewers are raging because the oldest is just 26.

Many are talking about cancelling their subscriptions to the magazine, which is licensed by the BBC and published by Panini.

The controversy centres on the newly resurrected Time Team feature, in which a group of 12 devotees – now with an average age of just 22 – review classic episodes.

One disgruntled reader tweeted: “Looks like DWM have replaced the Time Team with the cast of Grange Hill. Not sure why but it makes me feel depressed. Diverse in everything but age.”

Another agreed: “A little lacking in age though? Where is the mature contribution coming from? Now, to cancel my subscription.

“Their YouTube patter certainly won’t ‘go down’ with the over-50s like me.”

Fan David Steel said: “It’s patently clear to me that I’ll never read Time Team ever again. It’s become a party that I don’t feel invited to.”

Other loyalists were angered that one member of the new team is Doctor Who digital marketing manager Christel Dee, 26, who works for BBC Studios.

A reader blasted: “How on earth are you going to get a neutral, objective opinion on anything when you have a BBC member of staff on this panel?

“Doctor Who Magazine was always independent and now it is becoming a BBC mouthpiece. It’s a joke.”

However the magazine’s former editor Gary Russell defended the switch.

Gary_Russell,_Doctor_Who_Wiki.jpg

“This new Time Team is the single best thing to have happened in DWM in donkey’s years. If it upsets a bunch of moronic ‘Doctor Who is only for those of us who’ve been there since the proper series’, even better.”

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Episode 1: An Unearthly Child.

RITA: It's in black and white!

SUE: Nobody said anything about black and white!

BOB TWO: I don't like it! Make it stop!!

Doctor Omega

If it upsets a bunch of moronic ‘Doctor Who is only for those of us who’ve been there since the proper series’, even better.”

Calling older fans morons....

Good move - and a neat way of keeping them subscribing.

Well done Mister Russell.

You idiot.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8

You idiot.
Sadly, nothing new. This is the same bullshit I hear when the new batch of fans go on about the old fanboys like myself. I know I sound like a broken record, but the new fans need to understand that they wouldn't have the fandoms if it weren't for the old fans who kept it alive.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP

You idiot.
If they're the fans who say ‘Doctor Who is only for those of us who’ve been there since the proper series’ as he says, then they are moronic. Could have been better phrased though.

I don't have an issue with seeing reviews of older episodes by younger viewers. My kids enjoyed many of the classic series episodes and I'm sure these people will too. They might have different opinions to older fans but that's OK too. Do we really only want to see the same old reviews by the same old group of people?

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
If they're the fans who say ‘Doctor Who is only for those of us who’ve been there since the proper series’ as he says, then they are moronic. Could have been better phrased though.

I don't have an issue with seeing reviews of older episodes by younger viewers. My kids enjoyed many of the classic series episodes and I'm sure these people will too. They might have different opinions to older fans but that's OK too. Do we really only want to see the same old reviews by the same old group of people?
But why do all the reviewers have to be so young? Why not have a variety of ages represented?

Why not have someone who was 22 when Classic Who began? Why not have someone who was 22 when New Who began?

Is this a DOCTOR WHO magazine or a childcare centre?

Doctor Omega

51fcrfreLBL._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Find the Doctor. Save the universe.

A Doctor Who Annual with a difference. This year, you'll be taken on an incredible journey - the Thirteenth Doctor is missing, and it's up to you to find her! Take on fiendish puzzles, quizzes and games as you meet some old Doctor Who faces along the way.
Completed your mission? Then you'll be granted incredible insight into the Thirteenth Doctor and her first journey in time and space. There will be an all-new TARDIS to explore, alien tech to examine (with a brand-new sonic screwdriver) and monsters to defeat.
A must-have adventure for all Doctor Who fans, old and new.

Product details

• Hardcover: 64 pages
    • Age Range: 7 - 12 years
    • Publisher: BBC Children's Books; Annual edition (4 Oct. 2018)
    • Language: English
    • ISBN-10: 1405933763
    • ISBN-13: 978-1405933766
    • Product Dimensions: 22.2 x 28.6 cm

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

A Doctor Who Annual with a difference. This year, you'll be taken on an incredible journey - the Thirteenth Doctor is missing, and it's up to you to find her! Take on fiendish puzzles, quizzes and games

Puzzles, quizzes and games.....

God forbid that there should be anything approaching literature in this thing....

wda66.jpg

Doctor Omega

terrance_dicks_by_fresian_cat-d5z55sx.jpg

TERRANCE DICKS....

“In the early days of the show, there were three novelizations – ‘Doctor Who and the Daleks’, ‘Doctor Who and the Crusaders’ by David Whitaker, and ‘Doctor Who and the Zarbi’ by Bill Struttion Those were published in hardback and really didn’t make any great impression on the world. Then, in the seventies, Tandem books wanted to start a children’s publishing house, which they called Target. Their first editor was doing the rounds, and he came across these three old books. He bought them and published them in paperbacks and they sold like hotcakes.

“He very shrewdly went to the BBC, saying he desperately needed more ‘Doctor Who’ novelizations. He got himself a contract and eventually got shunted onto our office. I knew then that I was going to be leaving the programme soon, and I’d also always desperately wanted to write a book. I seized on this opportunity and said I would do one for them. That was ‘The Auton Invasion’. I then became a sort of unofficial editor, and farmed them out amongst a group of the writers, like Malc Hulke, Barry Letts, Gerry Davis, Brian Hayles etc. Gradually, over the years, most of the other writers dropped out, and there was a time when I had a virtual monopoly on the books.

“Since they’ve become more successful, more and more of the writers of the original scripts are thinking that they would like to do the book of their own script, which they have every right to do. So now, I do a smaller proportion of them, but that suits me very well because I don’t want to do only ‘Doctor Who’ books forever.

“The backbone of each book is something called the PAB script, which stands for ‘Programme as Broadcast’. When a programme is completely finished and edited, the BBC prepares a sort of retrospective script, which is taken from what is actually on the screen. What I will do is get the PAB script and read it, then have a viewing of the programme on videotape, from which I will take notes of the purely visual things. The sets may not be as described in the script, the costumes may be different, the appearance of the actors won’t be described, etc. Then, I sit down with the script beside me, and make my way through it, turning the story into a book.

“I try to change as little as possible. I will sometimes change a line, almost a matter of instinct. Sometimes a line that’s written to be spoken doesn’t produce the same effect when it’s read. Also, sometimes you have to fill in some holes or explain a few things. If it’s a particularly complex story, or if it’s a sequel to another story, I’ll write a little prologue to make things clearer. For example, I just novelised ‘Warriors of the Deep’, which is a new story that features the Silurians and the Sea Devils, and refers back to two Jon Pertwee stories. So there’s quite a lot in the book which wasn’t on the screen at all.”

Doctor Omega

Doctor Who: The Thirteenth Doctor #1

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/10/first-look-preview-of-doctor-who-the-thirteenth-doctor-1/

Doctor-Who-Thirteenth-Doctor-1-2-600x910.jpg Doctor-Who-Thirteenth-Doctor-1-4-600x910.jpg Doctor-Who-Thirteenth-Doctor-1-10-600x910.jpg

Experience mind-blowing challenges and dynamic adventures through time and space – right alongside the Doctor and her friends!

A new series for a new era on the TARDIS, from a creative team of astounding women – Eisner-nominated writer Jody Houser (Faith, Mother Panic, Star Wars: Rogue One, Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, Orphan Black), art by Rachael Stott (Doctor Who, Motherlands, Star Trek/Planet of the Apes) and colors from Enrica Angiolini (Shades of Magic)!

Doctor Who: The Thirteenth Doctor #1 is out on November 7th, priced $3.99.

See also....

THE WHITTAKER DOCTOR......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-whittaker-doctor.409/page-11#post-51372

Doctor Omega

NEW COMPANION FOR THE FOURTH DOCTOR

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/new-companion-for-the-fourth-doctor

doctorandsharon_large.jpg

Welcome to Rhianne Starbuck, who will be playing Sharon alongside the Fourth Doctor in the Comic Strip Adaptations, due for release March 2019. The popular character has returned for this new retelling of Doctor Who, we interview Rhianne today.

Alan Barnes told us more about the Star Beast, coming March 2019, “A few people had asked about the Comic Strips coming back over the years. I was very keen. I was an original reader of Doctor Who Weekly and they’re utterly fantastic. The Star Beast is so modern”.

We chatted to Rhianne about recording with Tom Baker, coming into the world of Doctor Who, creating a new companion, and, of course, the Big Finish lunches!

Big Finish (BF): Well, welcome to the new companion for the Fourth Doctor! It’s very exciting as 2019 sees two new companions for the Fourth Doctor, for the first time at Big Finish.

Rhianne Starbuck (RS): It’s exciting it’s finally coming out for me! I don’t know how long these things take to turn around (the original recording was back in October 2017). I hadn’t heard in a while and then when you all said it was out in March next year, I was thoroughly excited!

BF: Because Tom loves recording so much, sometimes we’re recording one year ahead, sometimes it’s five years!

RS: Yes, Nick mentioned that it could have been a while… I hope Tom travels back to our storyline, because I really enjoyed working with him.

BF: How was recording for Big Finish?

RS: Well, at the time I had just moved into my new house, we were decorating and we had no heating. The plumber had abandoned us, and we had no heating and no hot water, so I was thrilled to escape for a few days! It’s one of the first voiceover works I’ve done, and everyone was so lovely. The cast were brilliant, Nick Briggs was amazing, and it was so much fun. We didn’t stop laughing - laughter all day long, even through the breaks. The atmosphere was electric.

BF: It’s a really lovely day, recording with Tom isn’t it?

RS: A tiny little studio in the middle of nowhere, and I used to live in Guildford so it was lovely to be back. Such a nice drive down. I drove through a massive park, a beautiful part of the world. And the food for lunch was amazing!

BF: And Tom of course… is Tom. How was your experience meeting him?

RS: He was very polite, introduced himself to everyone. When you work with someone with that great reputation, sometimes you can feel daunted or wonder what they would be like. But he made you feel comfortable and was very welcoming. I remember at lunchtime, he was constantly telling stories and jokes, everyone was mesmerised listening to him.

BF: And he’s a very generous performer…

RS: In his brain, it’s like he hasn’t aged. Almost 40 years younger! He’s very young at heart. He was constantly looking at the script, he’d clearly done a lot of preparation beforehand, and he would come in some days, and he would say “I was reading this, I thought we could do this at this time, constantly talking with Nick, bouncing ideas around. He was very involved in the process. And very professional. The whole experience was very playful.

The way I would describe it to others would be that you’re like a big kid, you get to play with different voices, different things, you can be aliens on a massive trip, or on a huge adventures… it does take you back. There’s such a playful, light-heartedness about it all. And it works well with the actors.

BF: And you get to play a brand new character, Sharon. What’s she like? Because this story is her meeting the Doctor and ending up in this crazy situation…

RS: She didn’t really have a father figure, she was skeptical about the Doctor at first, she had many trust issues. She’s even quite nasty and cold to him in the beginning, but in the end (spoiler alert) she ends up travelling with him…

In terms of character she’s kind of my dream character to play, she’s very similar to my life story. I never had the father figure growing up, she’s northern, she’s mixed race, just like myself. And a really fun character to play.

BF: Sounds like a perfect fit!

RS: And she’s very strong willed. If she wanted to do something, she did it. There’s no telling her what to do, which again… same as me! *laughs*

BF: And it’s perfect for that zaniness of the Fourth Doctor… he almost needs someone to lay down the law and ground him.

RS: Definitely! We did have many scenes together, but it felt like there was more to come from both of them. And it would be wonderful to work with him again.

BF: They sound like a perfect mix.

RS: You get a real sense of the pair of them in audio. In television work, quite often you’re in and out. There’s not much scope for acting. Little of it is about the character. It was really nice to bring more to the character, and you have time to play around with it more. With Big Finish you get a sense of time with the characters. And the team are so open to suggestions about creating the character. Plus when you have Tom and such other talented actors, there’s a lot of trust in the performers. It was really lovely to be given the time and trust to create the story.

BF: So would you prefer audio over television work?

RS: With audio I really got to flesh out a three dimensional person, even without seeing them! With television they are so many other factors that contribute to the character, the makeup, setting, continuity, even the angle of the shot, so it comes down to the delivery of the line. When the visual is taken away, you have to work a little harder to portray that person.

BF: So the story is based on a comic, how did you feel about it once you read the script?

RS: I had been given a heads up, that it was based on a comic. My uncle is a Doctor Who fan and instantly remembered it. The more you talk about it, some people instantly recognize the story and Sharon. Because I wasn’t familiar with Doctor Who before, when you meet people and get introduced into the whole world, it was really inspiring, seeing people who are so passionate about it. Plus, someone brought a copy of it to the studio! We did get to see parts of the story, and to see how much of it has changed. I had no idea what Sharon looked like, then later in the day we saw what she looked like. It was surreal… but when you have the visual taken away, that’s when your brain and your imagination kicks in, that’s the beauty of it.

BF: We’re so glad you managed to avoid any spoilers and influencers before you built the character.

RS: And I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m sure many people will be huge fans of her before, but I’m glad it turned out that way. For Sharon, it’s a whole new world for her, and I think the truth in Sharon is there. I was learning as Sharon was learning. It was brilliant.

Alongside meeting Sharon in the Star Beast, we find the Fourth Doctor encountering the Iron Legion, an army of robotic Roman legionnaires, and in the Star Beast, the Fourth Doctorencounters one of the deadliest and most adorable villains ever – Beep the Meep!

These two new adventures are adapted from the comic strip by Pat Mills and Dave Gibbonsthat featured in Doctor Who Magazine (back when it was named Doctor Who Weekly).

Doctor Who: The Comic Strip Adaptations will be released in March 2019 comprising of:

1. Doctor Who and the Iron Legion adapted by Alan Barnes
2. Doctor Who and the Star Beast adapted by Alan Barnes

These two epic stories will be released in March 2019 as a 5-disc CD box set for £23 or on download at £20 from www.bigfinish.com.