• No.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
Does God Exist?
You are asking the wrong question. You have to specify what you mean by this existence. As there is no proof any god in whatever form exists as a living being or that one ever have existed in the past.

Asking if God exists cannot be answered, speaking of something one believes in doesn't make it real nor an acutal presence.

For example, I quote this from a site because I couldn't find the right words for it, but this is somewhat the way I want to explain:

Many believers will say, "It is impossible for you to prove that God (Allah, Ra, Vishnu, whatever) does not exist. There is no way to prove that something does not exist." This is a silly argument for the following reason.

Imagine that we have a conversation one day and I say to you, "Today I believe in the gerflagenflopple. You cannot prove that the gerflagenflopple does not exist, therefore it exists." You can see that this is ridiculous. Just because I have invented something out of thin air does not mean that its non-existence is suddenly unprovable. There has to be some evidence, or some reason, that the gerflagenflopple exists in order to assert its existence. Since there is not, it is quite easy to say that the gerflagenflopple is imaginary until such evidence is provided. We also know that the gerflagenflopple was made up on this web page. The word did not exist until created here.

In this way, the gerflagenflopple is like Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer: "Rudolph first appeared in a 1939 booklet written by Robert L. May and published by Montgomery Ward." We know Rudolf is fictional, and imaginary, because we can point to the fictional story that is his source

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Of course Bacchus is real. Where else could wine have come from? After all, Cabernet Sauvignon made me the man I am today. Well, and good scotch, bourbon, vodka, beer, stout...

croft_alice

Member: Rank 4
Proof please.

And if you are also Human, then how would you know?
I am a curious person ( don't want to offend anyone ),i don't take anything for granted,i question the world around me,i'm not satisfied with an answer like"because it's normal".I don't denie the existence of god,but i learn that ,in case of who is god for humanity the things are not that simple.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I believe in scientific evidence.

So far, there is none.

That is not to say that there will never be any, but so far there simply is none.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
For me, that would entirely depend upon the quality of the evidence.

I have little time for the close-minded.

I also have little patience for those who speak of having faith.

They can keep their faith, I want evidence.

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
For what it's worth, my feelings are that Xtian fundies and hard-core atheists both fall into the trap of making the same mistake: professing absolute certainty on a matter in which there cannot be any certainty whatsoever, because there's literally no hard evidence on either side. Absence of evidence constitutes neither proof nor disproof, it simply denotes absence of evidence. Both sides strike me as being powered, beneath it all, by the simple fear of uncertainty of the unknown, a universal human fear. All philosophies that take the existence or non-existence of a deity as their chief raison d'etre are, at base, flawed, imo, because of their contamination by that fear. It's hard to live with uncertainty, but frankly, I'd rather live with it than go off making absolute pronouncements on a matter I can't possibly have any certainty on either way.

At the end of the day, nearly all man-made religions posit God as some sort of arcane, inaccessible mystery, the understanding of his purposes completely unknowable to the human understanding. If that's indeed the case, well, okay--I can accept the idea of that, but my question is: why worship an unfathomable mystery? At the very least, you can't even know if you're worshipping it in the way it would choose to be, or if it even does choose to be. If you offer up, as justification, the evidence that your Holy Book of choice delineates what it is that God wants from us, then he's no longer an unknowable mystery because he's made his wishes plain. The irritant of religion for me is that it tries to have it both ways, the irritant of contemporary atheism that it pretends to speak with a voice of authority that in many ways is just as assumed and bogus as the religionists'.

Lot of mouthful to say I don't really hew with either camp, but it's Sunday morning and I'm all fired up on asparagus quiche and my first cuppa joe, lol.