Review Dumbo (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
gg4kOdl.jpg

Tim Burton started the whole Disney live-action adaptation of their animated classics wave with 2010’s “Alice in Wonderland,” and his more mellowed out Gothic weirdness in his old age has become catnip to the Mouse House where they’re happy to get him back. Here they take one of the well-known and lesser old school animated films, 1941’s “Dumbo,” and offer a loosely inspired adaptation which could well improve on the original. Will Smith was originally attached at one point but left, ultimately ending up in Disney’s “Aladdin” film opening two months later. Colin Farrell took on that role while Burton stalwarts like Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito and Eva Green reunite with the director for this early Spring release which aims to tug the heartstrings.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I admit I didn’t watch the trailer when you posted it because I knew I wouldn’t like it, but I caught it on Youtube.

Comments:
“This made me cry 1:34 im definitely going to cry during the actual movie”
1:30 I have seen this trailer only three times in the theater and every time it gets to that part of the trailer and forward I get goosebumps. The song is really powerful along side all the background things going on.”
“Honestly this movie makes me cry every time. Difference from other Disney movies because of its originality and the emotional content it presents. Just by watching the trailer I’m in tears Dumbo is one of my favourite Disney movies I think the original movie that slightly fuzzy is so authentic that I’m excited for this.”

Dumbo’s not scary looking but this remake looks too stupid, it will probably be a big hit, looks like Disney will be rewarded for this affront to a classic childhood film. Oh well I guess no one knows what a good movie is anymore.

Doctor Omega

Disney’s “Dumbo” is set to take off this weekend with a domestic opening in the $50-60 million range and a further $80-90 million overseas indicates Variety.

The Tim Burton-directed film is being sold as an old-fashioned family movie, but reviews for the title have been lackluster with the new take sitting at just 53% (Average Rating: 5.65/10) on Rotten Tomatoes.

Doctor Omega

Weak reviews appear to have taken some of the wind out of what previously appeared to be a promising Disney live-action translation with Tim Burton’s “Dumbo”.
Early morning industry estimates suggest the film is coming in under expectations for the studio, on track for a decent but soft $45 million opening weekend which is a far cry from the $60 million estimates a few weeks ago, and that’s also despite the film’s solid A- CinemaScore.

Though not a ‘Looking Glass’ or ‘Nutcracker’ level disappointment, with a production budget of around $170 million it’s not a good start – especially considering Disney’s other recent live-action reimaginings like “Maleficent” and “Cinderella” opened to closer to $70M while “The Jungle Book” and “Beauty and the Beast” opened above $100 million.