Review Halloween (2018)

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
This sound more and more like a total mess.
Ignoring the sequels, sure, most were crap anyway.
Michael practically being a senior citizen killer...yeah...no.
But now they are even retconning the first movie, just no.

It’s like a super hero comic book world.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
New “Halloween” Shoot Delayed Until January

new-halloween-shoot-delayed-until-january-696x464.jpg

Originally slated to begin filming last month, it now looks like David Gordon Green’s new “Halloween” film will begin shooting mid-January 2018 according to Bloody Disgusting.

The site says multiple sources have confirmed the new date which follows a delay of production that has potentially to do with casting. A recent casting call for extras in South Carolina mentioned the new mid-January filming date.

At present the delay has seemingly had no impact on the film’s release which is still on track for an October 19th 2018 opening.

Jamie Lee Curtis and Judy Greer star in the new chapter which Green co-wrote with Danny McBride and which takes place following the events of John Carpenter’s 1978 original whilst ignoring all the sequels.

Carpenter is executive producing and scoring the new film.

Doctor Omega

Andi Matichak Joins The New “Halloween”

andi-matichak-joins-the-new-halloween-696x464.jpg

Andi Matichak (“Orange Is the New Black”) has been cast as Allyson, the daughter of Judy Greer’s Karen Strode and granddaughter of Jamie Lee Curtis’ Laurie Strode in the upcoming “Halloween” film from director David Gordon Green.

Green and Danny McBride co-wrote the new chapter in the film series, a direct sequel to the 1978 original film in which Laurie experiences her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.

John Carpenter will executive produce and serve as creative consultant on this film which Blumhouse and Universal Pictures are producing for release next October.

Doctor Omega

So none of this ever happened for a start.....

I liked this sequel and thought that it served nicely as an Aliens-type-redemption for Laurie Strode's character. Facing and overcoming her fears.

Then they messed it up with Resurrection.

So now everything gets chucked out.

It all gets a bit baffling.....

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
So none of this ever happened for a start.....

I liked this sequel and thought that it served nicely as an Aliens-type-redemption for Laurie Strode's character. Facing and overcoming her fears.

Then they messed it up with Resurrection.

So now everything gets chucked out.

It all gets a bit baffling.....

I know. Its becoming ga bigger mess than it already was.
But of course Im going to watch the new Halloween, I do need to know what Im bitching about :) And as a stand alone movie, it might even be a good horror.

Doctor Omega

Original Myers Actor Returns In New “Halloween”

original-myers-actor-returns-in-new-halloween-696x464.jpg

Forty years after he terrorised Jamie Lee Curtis’ Laurie Strode in the original, actor Nick Castle is reprising the role of ‘The Shape’ – the masked killer Michael Myers in the new “Halloween” film.

Bloody Disgusting broke the casting news, confirming the actor, director, and screenwriter is returning to the role in the David Gordon Green-directed film from Blumhouse Productions and Universal Pictures.

A direct sequel to John Carpenter’s 1978 original that ignores all the other sequels, Curtis reprises her role alongside Judy Greer and Andi Matichak as her onscreen daughter and granddaughter respectively.

Additionally, stunt performer and actor James Jude Courtney has also been cast to play Myers for select scenes. Castle shared the role with Tony Moran in the original.

Carpenter will score, executive produce and serves as a consultant on the film which will be released on Friday, October 19th 2018.

PF4Eva

Member: Rank 3
This is exciting news. Now, this is what I call a reunion. Carpenter. Curtis. Castle.

Is Dean Cundey next? 35mm anamorphic?

(If you want to get technical, Moran played Myers unmasked at the end. He was Myers for about 10 seconds, roughly the same screen time as Will Sandin's Young Michael. Several people played Myers over the course of the film. Jim Winburn performed stunts, particularly being shot six times off the balcony by Donald Pleasence's Loomis.)

Doctor Omega

The New “Halloween” Begins Filming

zac-efron-joins-the-new-halloween-696x464.jpg

Blumhouse Productions has announced that production has officially begun on the upcoming new “Halloween” film with the first photo from the set below.

Jamie Lee Curtis reprises her iconic role as Laurie Strode, who comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago. Curtis has previously appeared in four films in the series but the new film is ignoring all bar the original.

Judy Greer plays her daughter Karen Strode and Andi Matichak plays Karen’s daughter Allyson. Additionally Bloody Disgusting reports that Virginia Gardner (“Runaways”), Miles Robbins (“My Friend Dahmer”), Dylan Arnold (“Mudbound”), and Drew Scheid (“Stranger Things”) have all joined the cast playing school friends of Allyson.

The start comes as Blumhouse Productions chief Jason Blum revealed to CinePopearlier this week that one other classic franchise his company would love to resurrect is “Friday the 13th” saying: “You know, I really wanted to do Friday the 13th. I would love to do that movie. Maybe someday we’ll get do to that one.” That series is presently in limbo with a planned second reboot on hold.

The new “Halloween” premieres on October 19th.

Doctor Omega

Halloween
Director: David Gordon Green (“Stronger,” “Joe”)
Cast: Judy Greer, Jamie Lee Curtis, Andi Matichak, Nick Castle
Details: One of the most anticipated films of this year in certain circles, the new “Halloween” forgoes being either a forgettable sequel or another gross and misguided reboot like the Rob Zombie films. Instead we have a direct sequel to John Carpenter’s original 1978 film, one that ignores everything that came after it including the second film surprisingly.

Made with not just the blessing but with the input of John Carpenter, who is also said to be working on the score, the film is helmed by the continuing to impress filmmaker David Gordon Green and co-written by comedian Danny McBride spearheading a sincere horror film with Jamie Lee Curtis reprising her iconic role of Laurie Strode. It effectively feels like its aiming to be what “Halloween: H20” wanted to be but couldn’t pull off, and should it work could show there’s both commercial and critical life left in the old 1980s horror brands.

Doctor Omega

Photos Emerge As “Halloween” Begins Filming

photos-emerge-as-halloween-begins-filming-696x464.jpg

Production is now officially underway on the upcoming new “Halloween” film at Universal Pictures and Blumhouse Productions.

Jamie Lee Curtis has revealed the first photo from the set on her first day of production on the movie. In addition, a very blurry set photo has shown up on social media photographing the return of masked killer Michael Myers in the film, and a shot of several young actors in the film is out courtesy of Andi Matichak.

Curtis returns to her iconic role of Laurie Strode forty years on in a tale that puts her in a final confrontation with Michael Myers. Judy Greer plays Karen Strode, the daughter of Curtis’ character, and Matichak is Laurie’s granddaughter Allyson.

John Carpenter will executive produce and serve as creative consultant on this film which David Gordon Green is directing from a script he co-wrote with Danny McBride. “Halloween” returns to cinemas on October 19th 2018.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BelBP3GFP_A/?utm_source=ig_embed

https://www.instagram.com/p/Begxa8IhbAl/?taken-by=andimatichak

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeiGeGNAeVJ/?utm_source=ig_embed

Doctor Omega

Carpenter Explains His “Halloween” Involvement

carpenter-explains-his-halloween-involvement-696x464.jpg

Aside from writing and producing the second and third films, John Carpenter has remained fairly hands off the “Halloween” franchise past his original masterpiece.

That stance changed with the new “Halloween” due this year which he’s executive producing, consulting on and possibly composing for. Jamie Lee Curtis reprises her role in the new David Gordon Green-directed film which serves as a direct sequel to the 1978 original and ignores all the others.

In a recent interview with Rotten Tomatoes, he explains why he came back for this entry:

“You know, you know I talked about the Halloweens for a long time, the sequels — I haven’t even seen all of them. I don’t even know what really was there — but finally, it occurred to me: Well if I’m just flapping my gums here, talking about it, why don’t I try to make it as good as I can? I could offer advice. I could talk to the director. I like the director very much. I like the script. So, you know, stop throwing rocks from the sidelines and get in there and try to do something positive.”

Carpenter in the past has been quite vocal about his dislike of remakes of his work and famously slammed Rob Zombie’s reboot. The new “Halloween” arrives October 19th.

Doctor Omega

Halloween
Actress Jamie Lee Curtis has taken to Twitter to post a photo of her official look as the older Laurie Strode in the upcoming David Gordon Green-directed new entry in the “Halloween” franchise. The film is currently in production ahead of an October release.

quick-news-halloween-serenity-swagger-angel-one-696x464.jpg

Doctor Omega

New “Halloween” To Reference Missing Sequels

new-halloween-to-reference-missing-sequels-696x464.jpg

As we know, David Gordon Green and Danny McBride’s upcoming “Halloween” film will effectively ignore the events of all the other sequels and serve as a straight sequel to the 1978 original – including ditching the supernatural elements of the latter movies.

Speaking with Flickering Myth at SXSW today though, McBride revealed why they made the decision to ignore the others and confirms there will be easter eggs throughout the new film shouting out to the other seven “Halloween” movies the new one ignores:

“This picks up after the first one. The Halloween franchise has kind of become a little bit of like choose your own adventure, you know like there’s some many different versions, and the timeline is so mixed up, we just thought it would be easier to go back to the source and contnue from from there. It was nicer than knowing you’re working on Halloween 11, it just seemed cooler, ‘we’re making Halloween 2’. We do [reference the other movies]. For fans, we pay homage and respect to every Halloween that has been out there.”

The new “Halloween” has wrapped filming ahead of an October release.

Doctor Omega

“Halloween” To Use An Aged Myers Mask

halloween-to-use-an-aged-myers-mask-696x464.jpg

Michael Myers’ mask has undergone some changes over the course of the various films, starting out originally as a painted William Shatner mask to undergoing numerous tweaks in the sequels and remakes.

With the upcoming film, a direct sequel to the original 1978 movie which ignores all the other sequels, the plan is to both go back to the original and shake things up with a couple of ageing effects. Make-up artist Christopher Nelson spoke with Halloween News Daily and revealed how they approached the mask’s look for the new film:

“The film takes place 40 years later, so you’re not going to have that same mask, it’s not going to be this pristine, beautiful thing that it was in 1978. You have to approach it from that standpoint.

I had forty-year-old masks that I studied and looked at how they broke down, how they wrinkled, how they did this and how they did that. I also took into account the context of the film. Where is the mask now and where has it been for these forty years? Without revealing anything, I took that into context. I had hundreds of photos and books.

I mostly really wanted to capture that feeling you got when you saw Michael Myers. I was also talking to [director] David [Gordon Green] about how we were going to shoot it, and being very careful about it, very strategic about it, looking back at [original film director John] Carpenter and [director of photography] Dean Cundey and how they did that. That’s how I approached the mask.

I wanted to create the character of Michael Myers, not just the mask. You’re not creating just a mask. You’re creating a character. You’re creating a feeling that you get that does have an expression.

The mask does have an expression, but also the mask looks completely different in every single angle it’s ever been photographed at, and I wanted that feeling too. I wanted the feeling that when you saw Michael Myers, it morphs, it changes, it looks different from every single angle, like the original one did. I can safely say we accomplished that.”

We’ll see the mask in full action when the movie opens on October 19th, though we should get a glimpse of it long before then when the film’s first trailer comes out sometime this Summer.

Doctor Omega

Jason Blum Reacts To “Halloween” First Cut

jamie-lee-curtis-returns-for-new-halloween-696x464.jpg

Film producer Jason Blum has revealed that he has seen the first cut of the upcoming “Halloween” sequel which sees the return of both Jamie Lee Curtis and John Carpenter to the series.

We know the new film will ignore all the previous sequels, serving as a direct follow-up to the 1978 film with Curtis returning as the original final girl Laurie Strode. Carpenter is consulting and reportedly working on the score, while David Gordon Green directs from a script he co-wrote with Danny McBride.

Speaking with Digital Spy this week to promote “Truth or Dare,” Blum discussed his reaction to the new “Halloween”:

“I feel really good about it, I saw a cut of it two nights ago. I think David did a terrific job. He did everything I hoped he would do which is respect the DNA of the franchise and bring something totally new to it and we’re really very very excited for people to see it. The most fun I had with [Carpenter] is I brought him to the set, and I was on the set with him and Jamie Lee Curtis, and boy that was pretty special, pretty amazing. It was a proper reunion.”

The new “Halloween” is currently on track for an October release.

Doctor Omega

Carpenter Confirmed For “Halloween” Score

new-halloween-shoot-delayed-until-january-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker John Carpenter is a rare breed in that, with one or two exceptions, he does the musical scores for all the films he directs, and he doesn’t do them for any other filmmaker’s work.

That stance now changes with producer Jason Blum confirming on Twitter today the long-running but not yet certain news – that Carpenter is providing the score for the new “Halloween” this year. This would mark Carpenter’s first full film score since 2001’s “Ghosts of Mars,” he previously indicated he would probably provide the reboot soundtrack but wasn’t quite sure at the time:

“I am an executive producer and it looks clear to me that I’ve made a deal to do the music…There are many options. I’ll be consulting with the director to see what he feels. I could create a new score, we could update the old score and amplify it, or we could combine those two things. I’ll have to see the movie to see what it requires.”

Blum doesn’t provide specific details though in his tweet, only confirming Carpenter is onboard to do it. David Gordon Green helms the film which serves as a direct sequel to the 1978 original, bypassing the various sequels that came after. Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her signature role of Laurie Strode who is now a grandmother. Speaking with Yahoo, she offered her take on the new film:

“And as soon as I read what David Green and Danny McBride had come up with … and the way that they connected the dots of the story, it made so much sense to me that it felt totally appropriate for me to return to Haddonfield, Ill., for another 40th-anniversary retelling. There was the idea of, ‘What do you call it?’ If I had had my druthers, I probably would’ve called it Halloween Retold. Because it’s being retold. It’s the original story in many, many, many ways. Just retold 40 years later with my granddaughter.”

Andi Matichak takes on the role of said granddaughter opposite Curtis and Judy Greer as the young girl’s mother & Laurie’s daughter. Curtis also says she’s seen a trailer and: “It’s terrifying. They went full-tilt boogeyman. And I’ve never said that in my life, and I will say full-tilt boogeyman for the rest of the year as I go around talking about this.”

“Halloween” opens on October 19th.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

New “Halloween” Trailer Reveals Key Details

new-halloween-to-reference-missing-sequels-696x464.jpg

Universal held its CinemaCon presentation today and a full description of the “Halloween” trailer that was screened is up at io9. The clip reveals.....

that what sets things off is someone making a documentary about a murderer – Michael Myers. They visit Myers in an institute and show him the mask to try and provoke a reaction.

Cut to the granddaughter of Laurie Strode explaining her grandmother has long been traumatized by the incident and that, despite rumors, Michael is not her brother. Jamie Lee Curtis then appears as Laurie who has been preparing in case Michael ever returned – she’s trained up, has plenty of guns and has built her house full of secret passages and booby traps with one goal – when he eventually does escape she can kill him.

He does of course, and the trailer shows various incidents (set to Carpenter’s theme). One is a girl in a toilet stall thinking a creep is trying to get in her cubicle, only for Michael to shower her with teeth from a man he just killed next door. Another scene has a babysitter trying to close the closet door of the young boy she’s minding – only for Myers to pop out and grab her throat.

The outlet describes the tone like this:

“What we gleaned from the trailer, as well as the presentation itself, is that this Halloween is going to be really scary. It uses modern tropes, like the true crime documentary, to tell a modern story of a woman who has been scared for forty years. A woman who had the worst night ever and since then has been dreading, but preparing, for it to happen again. And it does.”

It’s hoped the new trailer will go online in the next few weeks. An apparent report from a test screening went up the other week, but was quickly shot down when John Carpenter revealed not only had they not tested the film, but the film’s rough cut has not yet been finished. Carpenter consulted on the film and is doing the score.

Curtis herself showed up on stage to present the clip, at the same time jokingly apologising for 1999’s “Virus” and saying that only the “Star Wars” and “Halloween” franchises could still have the same actors appearing in the same franchise forty years later.

The new “Halloween” opens October 19th.