Review Halloween (2018)

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I dont know what to think.
Some of the sequels and the whole cult/supernatural aspect of some of them is terrible and Halloween 8 never happend in my book.
But I read that they are even retconning the ending of the first one. Thats really going to far.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Halloween 8 just undid the redemption story of H20, I felt. Just so dumb.

And yes, retconning the ending of the first one sounds crazy.

I like the third one too. Maybe they should have stayed away from Michael Myers after the first two.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
Yes, Halloween 3 is good. It would have been nice if John Carpenter could have followed his vision.

Doctor Omega

New “Halloween” Ending Getting Tweaked

the-new-halloween-to-shoot-this-fall-696x464.jpg

Filming on the new “Halloween” wrapped in February, but the crew will be returning to Charleston, South Carolina for a small bit of additional filming according to Bloody Disgusting.

The site reports that the film is reportedly going back to “tweak” the ending following a recent test screening. Blumhouse Productions, who is producing the film, do this fairly regularly and the extra filming is said to be only for a short period.

Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her iconic role of Laurie Strode, who comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers – the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago. Judy Greer and Andi Matichak co-star as her daughter and granddaughter respectively.

David Gordon Green helms the film which John Carpenter executive produces, the film remains on track for an October 19th release.

PF4Eva

Member: Rank 3
Question: Did the trailer crash IMDF yesterday or did you guys do some kind of maintenance? I kept getting random 404 errors and couldn't even post in any threads.

Anyway, the trailer. This is already a masterpiece. This is the Michael Myers that terrified me as a kid. It's like Halloween and Aliens had a baby.

Doctor Omega

There was a technical hitch yesterday, but Alex sorted it.....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/official-status-of-the-forum-always-updated.112/page-2

• [*]Minor update to the server broke url rewrites (6/8/2018) and it is fixed now.
    [*]Written an override rule so further updates won't be able to break anything as the server will consider the override rule first.

The trailer sure looks promising.

When they said nothing from the end of the first film onward (not even Jamie Lee Curtis' return in H20) counted, they sure weren't kidding!

I honestly don't know whether to admire their boldness - or lament all that money wasted on previous cinema tickets and rentals! :emoji_grin:

McQualude

I dig it. I was a huge fan of the original Halloween, not so much the sequels. It's a good thing they are blowing off the sequels and picking up 40 years later.

Doctor Omega

“Halloween” Change Talk & Gyllenhaal Reveal

halloween-change-talk-gyllenhaal-reveal-696x464.jpg

Following the first trailer release for the new “Halloween” late last week, the film’s co-writer Danny McBride has spoken some more about it and the decision by the writers to effectively wipe the slate clean and ignore every film after the original 1978 one.

Speaking with Coming Soon, McBride explained the choice to do the film in the first place, comparing it to something like Batman in that it’s a property which allows for multiple artist interpretations:

“You see these different artists take on these iconic characters so I think it’s kind of cool to see what different filmmakers will do with a property that is so well known. I would rather have that approach to Michael Myers than everyone just continuing some storyline and just trying to regurgitate these things. I think it’s more interesting to have someone like [director] David [Gordon Green] or Rob Zombie, these filmmakers that just come and put their own stamp on it for better or worse. I think that’s a more interesting way for a franchise to stay alive than to just continue to beat the same drum over and over again.”

He also spoke about the decision to ignore the previous sequels, including the second one, which makes Laurie Strode no longer related to Michael Myers:

“I was pushing for that removal right off the bat. I just felt like that was an area where he wasn’t quite as scary any more, it seemed too personalised. I wasn’t as afraid of Michael Myers any more because I’m not his fucking brother so he’s not coming after me. Also you’ve seen it, so wouldn’t it be interesting just to see what would happen if it wasn’t that, and what does that open up for us if it wasn’t this random killing that has affected this character, so it just seemed like new territory to bite off.

Anyone who’s a fan of any of these films will find nice little Easter eggs acknowledging our salute to the filmmakers that have preceded us in the stories and mythologies as they have unfolded. For us, it was a clean slate type of opportunity, where if there was a little inspiration or mirror image of something it’s very subtle in the movie because we want to start fresh for a new generation but with great appreciation for the previous”

In a separate story, Variety reveals that actor Jake Gyllenhaal is partly responsible for the film happening. The actor is a family friend of Jamie Lee Curtis, and he convinced her to speak with the reboot’s director David Gordon Green. Once she did, they reportedly hit it off immediately and the film went forward.

Returning to McBride, he’s revealed to EW that at one time they were considering two films, but changed it to just one:

“We were going to shoot two of them back-to-back…Then we were like, Well, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. This could come out, and everyone could hate us, and we’d never work again. So, let’s not have to sit around for a year while we wait for another movie to come out that we know people aren’t going to like. So, we were like, Let’s learn from this, and see what works, and what doesn’t. But we definitely have an idea of where we would go [with] this branch of the story and hopefully we get a chance to do it.”

The new “Halloween” opens in cinemas on October 19th.

PF4Eva

The soundtrack will reportedly arrive October 26 19 via Sacred Bones (Carpenter's label, naturally) on CD and both standard black and limited-edition orange vinyl. There will also be an "Art Edition" with a Myers target practice poster.

I'm in the process of getting into vinyl, starting with my recently-deceased grandmother's records. This will be a definite must-have on vinyl.

Last edited: