Review Happy Death Day 2U (2019)

filmfan95

Member: Rank 3
I saw this trailer the other day. As someone who really enjoyed the first film, here's my opinion:

The good: This time, whoever made the trailer and advertising for the film embraced the dark comedy that the film actually is. The trailer for the first film made it look like a straight-up horror film (albeit a cringe one), whereas the actual movie was blatantly a dark comedy and mocked itself quite a few times.

The bad: The film didn't need a sequel. There was no cliffhanger ending or anything like that in the film. The protagonist found the killer, stopped it, and stopped being a jerk to everyone. She got her happy ending, and the film ended perfectly. The only real loose end in the story was that it was never explained why the loop happened in the first place. But I thought the film was better that way. I didn't need there to be some explanation shoehorned into the story about why it was happening. Groundhog Day never explained the loop, and it worked just fine. Happy Death Day benefited from doing the same. Now we get a sequel that goes for "bigger is better," and while I'll admit it looks laugh-out-loud funny, it's completely redundant. Basically, she goes into the loop again because there's a new killer on the loose that is killing a bunch of people now? Come on now, that is just stupid. It sounds like really bad fanfiction. Not to mention that it contradicts the first film in two ways. First of all, Tree is explicitly stated to have died sixteen times in the first film, when in the trailer for the second film, she says that she died eleven times. Also, it is made clear in the first film (though I'll admit that it probably wasn't elaborated upon as much as it should have been) that Tree doesn't have unlimited times she can die. Every time she dies and goes back through the loop, she retains slight damage from the previous loops, meaning that she can't mess around and just expect to die infinite times and that eventually it will be game over for her, making it all the more important that she find the killer and stop the loop. Now we have a sequel where she dies a bunch of times with her only frustration appearing to be that she has to loop over and over. Bad continuity.

It looks hilarious, but I just don't think this movie is going to work.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
F6UbGZx.jpg

Christopher Landon’s 2017 college slasher meets “Groundhog Day” time loop film was a surprise breakout hit for Blumhouse, the $5 million effort generating $122 million at the box office and scored a pretty good reaction from critics. Lead Jessica Rothe’s performance was widely praised, even as the subject matter and nature of the brutality left some less impressed. Now the follow-up takes a slightly more sci-fi bend, and a big dollop of inspiration from “Back to the Future Part II,” as the story sees Tree Gelbman unexpectedly re-entering the time loop two years later and becoming determined to escape it after finding out her friends are now involved and the original killer has been murdered – meaning she has to solve the problem all over again.