Review It: Chapter Two (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The-new-face-of-Pennywise-leaked_content.png

IT was always planned as a two-part movie, just as the TV miniseries arrived in two parts.

The first installment will focus on the kids.

While the second movie follows the same kids as adults.

Though, as IT began production, talk of the second movie faded away, and it has never been outright confirmed that it will happen.

Dan Lin says that is still the intention, and that the production team has not wavered from those plans.

He explains to Collider what is happening with the sequel, saying it's moving forward.

"Naturally that's the plan. If you look at the book, it's the part of the book that we have not yet explored. The book we really broke down into two parts. The first part is this movie and if audiences react to this movie in the way we hope they will and I think they will, then we'll be to tell the adult story as well."

So, even though the second movie is still planned, if the first one bombs at the box office, you can expect the second one to quietly shuffle off into the land of movies that never were.

What that means is IT won't likely end on a cliffhanger.

Not one that is as obvious as the TV miniseries anyway.

Part 1 (2017) can be found here....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/it-part-1%E2%80%93the-losers-club-2017-sept-8th.1082/

Doctor Omega

“IT” Sequel Production Schedule Revealed

it-sequel-production-schedule-revealed-696x464.jpg

Stephen King’s iconic work “IT” is such a dense and sprawling novel that doing it in a single film is near impossible. Warner Bros. Pictures realised this when planning the upcoming film adaptation, and so decided to split it into two.

The story is set in a small town in Maine, where seven children known as The Losers Club come face to face with life problems, bullies, and a child-eating, sewer-dwelling monster that takes the shape of a clown called Pennywise (Bill Skarsgard).

Much like the mini-series adaptation, the film was going to have the kids as the focus of the first film and the adult versions of those characters the focus of the second. However, talk of the second film seemingly dried up once production began last year.

Finally, a month-and-a-half out from the release of the first film, director Andres Muschietti has gone on the record about the second film and offers an update on plans for it. He tells Variety today:

“We are doing that [two films]. We’ll probably have a script for the second part in January. Ideally, we would start prep in March. Part one is only about the kids. Part two is about these characters 30 years later as adults, with flashbacks to 1989 when they were kids.”

By that schedule filming would begin mid-2018. The first “IT” began filming June 2016 which would suggest the second film could be released on the same weekend as the first film but in 2019.

Muschietti also addressed the only major concern that has been raised by the very well-received first trailer – that is the film’s handling of Pennywise. Judging by the footage so far he’s only been seen as a mute and creepy presence, but the helmer says you’ll also see the cute side to the character:

“I wanted to stay true to the essence of the character. I knew that I didn’t want to go the road of Tim Curry [who played Pennywise in the TV miniseries]. Bill Skarsgard caught my attention. The character has a childish and sweet demeanour, but there’s something very off about him. Bill has that balance in him. He can be sweet and cute, but he can be pretty disturbing.”

Jaeden Lieberher, Finn Wolfhard, Nicholas Hamilton, Jack Dylan Grazer, Wyatt Oleff, Chosen Jacobs, and Jeremy Ray Taylor also star in the first film which opens September 8th.

Doctor Omega

“IT” Sequel Tackles Macroverse Elements

it-sequel-tackles-macroverse-elements-696x464.jpg

Box-office estimates for the upcoming film adaptation of Stephen King’s “IT” keep rising with talk of the film potentially opening to $70 million or so following early rave reaction.

We know the film only adapts half of King’s massive novel, and at last report director Andres Muschietti is returning to helm an adaptation of the second half which begins production early next year.

Now doing press rounds for “IT,” he confirms to Bad Taste that his priority is the “IT” sequel and, once that’s wrapped, he’ll then do the live-action version of “Robotech” for Sony Pictures.

Asked if the “IT” second part will have a higher budget, he not unsurprisingly responded: “Well, clearly I hope so”. Muschietti has previously said that while the second half will focus on the adult versions of the characters in the present day, there will be scenes involving the kids as well as dialogue between the two timelines.

There is also expected to be flashbacks throughout Derry’s history, revealing numerous times IT’s influence is seen in the community, and a visit to another dimension to face IT in its true form.

Muschietti’s first film offers a more grounded conclusion, but he tells Yahoo Moviesthere’s several reasons for this, and the second film will tackle the costly, FX-heavy and more otherworldly fight against the shapeshifting antagonist:

“I really wanted to focus on the emotional journey of the group of kids. Getting in to that other dimension – the other side – was something that we could introduce in the second part.

In the book the perspective of the writing… is always with the Losers, so everything they know about Pennywise is very speculative and shrouded in obscurity, so I wanted to respect that mystery feeling of not knowing what’s on the other side.

I also wanted to leave something for the second half, so I didn’t want to get in trouble with that – going into the macroverse or that transdimensional stuff – and keep it grounded, from the point of view of the kids.

There’s another movie to expand into that. Also, there’s a physical truth that it’s a movie that has a budget. And I didn’t want to get into a depiction of a realm that f—s up our budget, the creation of a world that will basically suck up half of our budget, and would have to sacrifice a lot of things.

So basically it’s a balancing act, but it’s also intricately connected with the content, which is staying true to the emotional aspect of the book.”

“IT” opens on September 8th 2017.

Doctor Omega

Dauberman Returns For “IT: Chapter Two” Script

dauberman-returns-for-it-chapter-two-script-696x464.jpg

New Line’s sequel to “IT,” likely to be titled “IT: Chapter Two” going by the first film’s end credits, is coming together.

Gary Dauberman, who co-wrote the first film, has come onboard to work on the script for the follow-up which Andy Muschietti is expected to return on as director – though he hasn’t closed his deal yet.

The same producing team of Barbara Muschietti, Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Seth Grahame-Smith, and David Katzenberg are all believed to be back as well.

The first film adapts half the novel in which a group of teenagers battle a shape-shifting child-eating monster who most regularly takes on the form of a sinister clown.

The second film is expected to adapt the other half in which the teenagers are now in their early forties and return to the town they’ve tried to forget to finally put a stop to the creature.

“IT” is currently scoring very positive reviews with an 88% (7.2) on Rotten Tomatoesand a 71/100 on Metacritic. Opening tomorrow, the film is expected to garner as much as $65-75 million in its opening weekend.

No release date has been set for the follow-up.

Doctor Omega

“IT: Chapter Two” Set For Sept 2019

it-chapter-two-set-for-sept-2019-696x464.jpg

Taking longer than expected to get around to it, Warner Bros. Pictures has finally given the go-ahead for “IT: Chapter Two,” the follow-up to this month’s box-office record shattering horror film.

A September 6th 2019 release date has been locked in for the follow-up, taking the same release week slot the first one opened in this year. It will also score a simultaneous IMAX release on that date.

The film is expected to adapt the second half of Stephen King’s novel in which the Losers Club, now adults, return to Derry to finally stop Pennywise once and for all.

The R-rated “IT” has become the top-grossing horror film of all time, not adjusting for inflation and has earned $478.1 million globally – $266 million of that domestically. Check out a new featurette about the crafting of Pennywise the Clown below.

Sunflower007

Member: Rank 3
:emoji_grimacing:~ He made a good Pennywise. He was quite freaky & scary looking and his performance was really good. I must admit that I didn't like his clown outfits was the ugly decade behind ones. But I still prefer the original 90's Pennywise with Tim Curry. I found him scarier without the CGI.

*~:emoji_kissing_cat:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
:emoji_musical_score:

"All the vampires walkin' through the valley
Move west down Ventura Blvd.
And all the bad boys are standing in the shadows
All the good girls are home with broken hearts
"

By: Tom Petty & The Heatbreakers

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Part two is about these characters 30 years later as adults, with flashbacks to 1989 when they were kids.
This worries me a bit. Knowing they were planning two movies they should have planned ahead enough to have filmed the kids scenes for part 2 while they were filming part 1. Not doing that runs the significant risk that the kids grow and change noticeably between movies even though the scenes are supposedly set at the same time.

Doctor Omega

“IT: Chapter Two” To Be More Psychological

it-chapter-two-to-be-more-psychological-696x464.jpg

The film adaptation of the first half of Stephen King’s “IT” looked to be a hit before it’s release, but then it turned into one of the biggest movies of the year and certainly the biggest film of its genre with a $631 million worldwide gross at the box-office.

As a result, “IT: Chapter Two” quickly moved forward as the project has become a top priority for New Line. Adapting the second half of the book, the new film will deal with the adult versions of the characters but have flashbacks involving the kids again.

Whichever time period they choose, Pennywise the Clown won’t change with actor Bill Skarsgard reprising his role for the second volume. Speaking with IGN recently, Skarsgard says expect the sequel to shake things up a bit:

“The first movie worked so well at what it is trying to do, I think, and ultimately that is the kids’ story, and you follow these kids and you sort of fall in love with these kids. And the second one will be the adult story. And I think the right way to do it is to make that movie actively different.

I think there might be worth exploring sort of the psychological aspects of horror, but also maybe the sort of cosmological existence of this being. What is he, and where does he come from? And, you know, it’s hardly answered in the novel, either. I mean, it’s very abstract.

And I kind of like that. It could be almost a sort of surrealistic sort of psychedelic trip if you go into the mind of Pennywise. And if you’ve read the novel you know that they do actually go into his mind. Or they go into this transdimensional place, and they sort of beat him in this place. Which might be interesting, what that place would be, and what would it look like. There’s opportunities, I think, and I’m excited for it.”

Skarsgard also participated in a Reddit AMA the other week and revealed one scene too disturbing to include – one set in the 17th century in which he in pre-Pennywise garb forces a mother to listen as he eats her newborn baby.

“IT: Chapter Two” is set for release September 6th 2019.

Doctor Omega

Chastain In Early Talks For “IT: Chapter 2”

chastain-in-early-talks-for-it-chapter-2-696x464.jpg

Jessica Chastain has officially entered early negotiations to star as the adult version of Sophia Lillis’ Beverly in New Line’s “IT: Chapter Two” which begins filming in the Summer ahead of a September 2019 release.

The script for the follow-up to last year’s monster hit is still being worked on by writer Gary Dauberman, but discussions are confirmed to be underway for her to come onboard.

Bill Skarsgard is expected to return as Pennywise, and director Andy Muschietti is also expected to return but his deal has not yet closed. Chastain previously worked with Andy and producer Barbara Muschietti on “Mama”

Chastain’s name has been mentioned in conjunction with the role for some time by both fans and the Muschiettis themselves. The new film is expected to adapt the other half of Stephen King’s novel, following the adult versions of the characters who return to their hometown years later to face Pennywise once again.

The Muschiettis hope to bring back the original young stars for flashback scenes.

Doctor Omega

quick-news-it-hobbs-pose-incredibles-696x464.jpg

IT: Chapter Two
Filming on “IT: Chapter Two” is reportedly set to begin shooting in July. Indiewirespoke with producer Roy Lee who says the script is still being finalized and the locations are currently being scouted in anticipation of shooting.

Director Andres Muschietti is helming with Gary Dauberman the one currently at work on the script. The film will open September 2019.

Doctor Omega

McAvoy, Hader In Talks For “IT” Sequel

mcavoy-hader-in-talks-for-it-sequel-696x464.jpg

“X-Men” star James McAvoy and former SNL comedian Bill Hader are in negotiations to join Jessica Chastain in “IT: Chapter Two” for New Line.

The new film is set to adapt the other half of Stephen King’s iconic novel, focusing on the adult versions of the child characters from the original.

If it goes forward, McAvoy would play the role of the adult Losers Club leader Bill Denbrough who grows up to be a successful author. Jaeden Lieberher played the character in the first.

Hader will play the adult Richie Tozier, the foul-mouthed jokester who grows up to be a DJ. He takes over from Finn Wolfhard.

Chastain is already on board to play Beverly Marsh, the group’s lone female member who as an adult ends up in an abusive marriage. Bill Skarsgard will return as Pennywise and the various child actors are expected to appear in flashback.

Andy Muschietti and Gary Dauberman are back as director and screenwriter, respectively, following last year’s first installment which grossed $700 million worldwide. Barbara Muschietti, Dan Lin and Roy Lee are producing.

Filming on the sequel begins in July ahead of a September 7th 2019 release.

Doctor Omega

quick-news-it-blood-dumb-rain-lost-696x464.jpg

IT: Chapter Two
Filmmaker Andy Muschietti is making a key change for “IT: Chapter Two,” the filmmaker has enlisted Checco Varese (“The 33,” “Replicas”) to take over as cinematographer from the first film’s Chung-hoon Chung (“Oldboy,” “The Handmaiden”). This follows on from Paul Austerberry (“The Shape of Water”) replacing Claude Pare (“X-Men: Dark Phoenix”) as production designer. Filming is expected to begin mid-year with casting now underway.

Doctor Omega

Andy Bean Is Adult Stan In “IT” Sequel

andy-bean-is-adult-stan-in-it-sequel-696x464.jpg

Following James Ransone’s casting as the adult Eddie, “Power” and “Here and Now” actor Andy Bean has also joined the cast of Andy Muschietti’s upcoming horror sequel “IT: Chapter Two” as the adult version of Stan.

Beane and Ransone join a cast that includes James McAvoy as adult Bill Denbrough, Jessica Chastain as Beverly Marsh, Bill Hader as Richie Tozier, and Bill Skarsgard as Pennywise the Clown.

Wyatt Oleff played Stanley Uris in the first film. The second begins filming in Toronto this Summer ahead of a Fall 2019 release.

Doctor Omega

Isaiah Mustafa Is Mike In “IT: Chapter Two”

isaiah-mustafa-is-mike-in-it-chapter-two-696x464.jpg

Isaiah Mustafa, probably still best known as the ‘I’m on a horse’ Old Spice commercial spokesman, has joined the cast of “IT: Chapter Two” for New Line.

Mustafa will play the adult version of Mike Hanlon in the film, joining a cast that includes Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy, James Ransone, Jay Ryan, Andy Bean, Bill Hader and Bill Skarsgard.

The film is based on the other half of the popular Stephen King novel that wasn’t adapted in last year’s massive hit feature and follows the adult versions of the characters who were subjected to the terror of demon clown Pennywise (Skarsgard).

Filming kicks off in July ahead of a September 6th 2019 release. Andy Muschietti and Gary Dauberman are back as director and screenwriter, respectively.

Doctor Omega

Jessica Chastain Wraps Filming On “IT”

chastain-in-early-talks-for-it-chapter-2-696x464.jpg

Actress Jessica Chastain has confirmed in an Instagram story on Friday that she’s wrapped filming her scenes as the adult Beverly Marsh in the upcoming sequel “IT: Chapter Two”.

While Chastain may have finished, production is still underway in Toronto on the film with other cast members like Bill Skarsgard, James McAvoy, Bill Hader, Jay Ryan, Isaiah Mustafa, Andy Bean and James Ransone apparently still there.

The first film debuted almost a year ago, smashing box-office records with a $123.1 million opening weekend – the highest opening for a September release and for a horror movie, going on to earn over $700 million at the worldwide box office.

Gary Dauberman is penning the sequel which will be directed once again by Andy Muschietti. The new film is slated to open a year from now, on September 6th 2019.

Doctor Omega

“IT: Chapter Two” Includes Ritual of Chud

it-heads-to-103m-opening-weekend-696x464.jpg

Andy Muschietti’s film adaptation of half of Stephen King’s novel “IT” last year opened to both very good reviews and stellar box-office. Fans appreciated this fairly faithful adaptation of the novel which didn’t hold back from some of the book’s darker elements.

There were some omissions though of the novel’s weirder aspects – the scene with the underage kids engaging in a sexual train was understandably dumped, as was some of the crazier mythological aspects involving the giant turtle and the Ritual of Chüd.

Well some of that crazy stuff is coming back in the upcoming “IT: Chapter Two” which adapts the second half of the story. Speaking with Cinema Blend, screenwriter Gary Dauberman confirms that the Ritual of Chüd will be realised in the 2019 follow-up:

“The Ritual of Chüd is challenging, but it’s such an important component to the book that we had to address it. That stuff is difficult to balance, but because we [Dauberman, director Andy Muschietti, producer Barbara Muschietti] worked with each other before, when I’m writing pages and all that stuff it becomes more of a conversation and less like, ‘Hey, here’s what I did.’ It’s sort of organic; it’s really kind of just chipping away at the stone and trying to find the most focused, accessible way into some of more metaphysical aspects of that book.”

Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy, Bill Hader, Jay Ryan, James Ransone, Andy Bean, Isaiah Mustafa, Teach Grant, Jess Weixler, Xavier Dolan, Will Beinbrink and Bill Skarsgard star in the new film along with all the returning members of the young cast. “IT: Chapter Two” will hit theaters on September 6th 2019.

Doctor Omega

ge5i99z.jpg

Stephen King’s “IT” was a story that could not be told in one film, and New Line gambled by telling only half of it with Andy Muschetti’s stylish if a little overly jump scare focused film adaptation in 2017. It worked though, the movie becoming a Marvel-sized juggernaut and the most successful horror film ever made. Now comes the other and more difficult half of the story to adapt in which The Losers Club, now all adults in their thirties and forties, return to Derry to face off with the demonic clown Pennywise one last time. The casting is a little odd – the likes of Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy and Bill Hader make complete sense but some of the others, not so much. The kid stars will return for flashback sequences, and expect the budget to be bigger to deal with some of the more metaphysical and likely effects-heavy sequences such as the Ritual of Chud, but will the audience embrace it as much?