Review Justice League (2017) Nov 17th

Discussion in 'Cinema: Now Playing' started by Doctor Omega, Mar 7, 2017.

1. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 7

I'm going to see it today with my son. I'm actually pretty excited, and I really hope I'm not let down.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 5
    VIP

Great review and it seems that your opinion of the movie is similar to mine. They're not quite there yet but they're well on the way to a quality superhero universe. If they can follow this up with decent Aquaman and Flash movies (and based on the performances of those two that shouldn't be hard) they'll have gone a long way to redeeming themselves from the poor start they had.

• Like Like x 2
  3. chainsaw_metal1

@TheIrishAvenger Great review! Like @Gavin, this summed up how I felt about it. Definitely better than BvS, but not as good as Wonder Woman. Certainly a very entertaining film.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JohnnyL REACTS

JohnnyL REACTS Member: Rank 1

I was not impressed. A few entertaining moments.

5/10

• Like Like x 1
  5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

A petition has already sprung up to get a release of Zack Snyder's version on blu-ray, along with the original soundtrack score......

Zack Snyder's Director's Cut and Tom Holkenborg's (Junkie XL) Score for Home Release.

okxqsSIrSOphAwy-800x450-noPad.jpg

https://www.change.org/p/warner-bro...-release-e90fef07-11c6-4a9a-9ae8-375c7717dafa

We the undersigned make this petition, because during the last few months, the film Justice League underwent a few changes in terms of composer and runtime. Zack Snyder, director of the film, screened Justice League to Warner Bros. executives earlier this year, they where happy with the film, but the director himself felt the film needed something more, he contacted Joss Whedon, director of The Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron, to write a few additional scenes with plans to shoot them over the summer, but an unfortunate tragedy in his family happened and he understandably had to step down, Warner Bros. following Snyder's departure, released a statement saying that Justice League will be finished as Zack Snyder's vision, but a week after that statement, composer Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) was replaced with Danny Elfman, much to the dismay of fans, who were concerned about the thematic compositional elements from Man of Steel and Batman v Superman being changed, due to the change in composer. In early October cinemas confirmed that the runtime for Justice League will be 2hrs long, much to the shock of fans, who were asking themselves: "how will a film that has 6 main characters, their supporting players, a story that revolves around an alien invasion, the terraforming of earth and the return of a familiar face, would fit in a 2hr runtime?", Many film critics, websites and journalists started comparing the runtime to Star Wars: Episode IV- A New Hope, stating that the sci-fi/fantasy film dealt with 5 characters, the introduction of a mythology and an intergalactic war, but the difference between Justice League and Star Wars: Episode IV- A New Hope is very simple: Justice League as mentioned earlier, revolves around a plot to terraform earth, an alien invasion, 4 new characters, their backstories and their motivations, the development of 2 other characters from previous entries in the DC Extended Universe and the return of a familiar face that need development and I will explain myself. The DC Extended Universe is based on DC comics, a brand of comic books that writes superheroes, villains and other characters from different backgrounds with different backstories and motivations, that are relatable to the reader with themes that mirror the real world, for example, Man of Steel was the first entry in the the DC Extended Universe, the film revolved around an alien trying to find his place in the world, while dealing with his past, alien origins, superhuman abilities and a plot that revolved around first contact with an alien civilization, while the sequel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice revolved around the existence of an alien and his purpose in the world, how humanity reacted to him, how they were divided and ultimately united, because ofnhim, the different philosophies, ideologies and motivations of a man coming to gripes with his past, the reality of aliens living amongst humans and the realization that such alien could be dangerous, a man with a childhood trauma, who wants to get rid of abusive figures and who realizes that power is not innocent and the perception of humans towards the alien in question. Justice League is the culmination of the alien's story and the beginning of a new chapter in the DC Extended Universe. Fans have been waiting for years, while others have waited decades for the film to finally arrive on the silver screen. The 2hr runtime is disrespectful towards Zack Snyder's vision and towards the fans who have waited for more than a year to see the alien's story come to an end.

6. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Just found this too.....

7. chainsaw_metal1

Um...how about no.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

“Justice League” Headed For $50-100M Loss

hear-junkie-xls-axed-justice-league-theme-696x464.jpg

Having crunched the numbers in the wake of the film’s $94 million domestic debut, the lowest of any DCEU film to date, Forbes is reporting that “Justice League” is on course for a final gross of around $635 million.

They also estimate with the film’s $300 million production budget plus marketing and exhibition cuts, the movie will have to make $700-750 million worldwide to turn a profit. As a result, it looks as though Warner Bros. may be facing a $50 to $100 million loss on the film. Repeat business could close the gap somewhat, but one thing is clear – this is neither a hit nor does it bode well for the future of the DCEU.

Jason Momoa, who stars in the film as Aquaman, has also spoken some more to EWabout the elements of his story that didn’t make the final cut of the film:

“The challenging part is [the ‘Justice League’ story] is only about a weekend in Arthur Curry’s life. [Fans] might be like, ‘Why is he that grumpy? Why’s he hiding up there?’ We had it all planned out. A lot of things got cut. But it’s not my movie. It’s a huge movie introducing three new characters, and for myself and The Flash and Cyborg, there was a lot that was there we just couldn’t get in.

It could have been two movies. We had some stuff with Willem Dafoe. The whole Atlantean part, about me being this reluctant king. There was no need for it because you’re going to see it in ‘Aquaman.’ It’s not an Aquaman movie, it’s a Justice League movie.”

That does seem to confirm that Zack Snyder’s original vision was for a decidedly longer movie which got cut back severely by the studio and Joss Whedon. Even so, Momoa says he’s very happy with the finished product.

9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Justice League” cinematographer Fabian Wagner has thrown his support behind a fan outcry for a longer cut of the film to become available. He tells Heat Vision:

“What I love about his [Snyder’s] director’s cuts is they are long, but he takes his time to tell the story. I’ve never watched any of his directors cut and thought ‘This is long.” Whether they are three hours long, or three hours and ten minutes, they always seemed to go quick.”

10. Gavin

VIP

There's definitely room for an extended cut for this one. I enjoyed it, but I think the studio imposed time restriction did cause some problems for the final cut.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Just back from seeing it. I didn't feel the opening scene with Superman was necessary and that jelly cgi moustache removal jaw of his was painfully obvious in places, particularly in that scene.

I think a Snyder cut (of sorts) is inevitable, because it will sell, but I doubt it will be a masterpiece. Perhaps Snyder's head was in the wrong place when he made it, as there have been earlier reports that his cut was "unwatchable".

The cut as it stands seemed to hint that there was a darker, grimmer film in there, but that it had been shrunk down and covered in Whedon-esque chocolate to make it more palatable to the popcorn crowds. And to get more showings in.

But I don't think dark and grim is right for either the Superman or Wonder Woman characters, to name but two. So what we have is an odd studio compromise that once again failed to hit the target properly at the box office.

Maybe Flashpoint will get this whole damn DC multiverse on a steady rail once and for all. How many faltering steps and false dawns can DC afford?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gavin

VIP

I think there's definitely room for some form of extended version. The studio mandated run-time really squeezed the story and, while I enjoyed it overall, I think there was room for more in this one.

• Like Like x 2