Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
There's definitely room for an extended cut for this one. I enjoyed it, but I think the studio imposed time restriction did cause some problems for the final cut.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Just back from seeing it. I didn't feel the opening scene with Superman was necessary and that jelly cgi moustache removal jaw of his was painfully obvious in places, particularly in that scene.

I think a Snyder cut (of sorts) is inevitable, because it will sell, but I doubt it will be a masterpiece. Perhaps Snyder's head was in the wrong place when he made it, as there have been earlier reports that his cut was "unwatchable".

The cut as it stands seemed to hint that there was a darker, grimmer film in there, but that it had been shrunk down and covered in Whedon-esque chocolate to make it more palatable to the popcorn crowds. And to get more showings in.

But I don't think dark and grim is right for either the Superman or Wonder Woman characters, to name but two. So what we have is an odd studio compromise that once again failed to hit the target properly at the box office.

Maybe Flashpoint will get this whole damn DC multiverse on a steady rail once and for all. How many faltering steps and false dawns can DC afford?

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I think there's definitely room for some form of extended version. The studio mandated run-time really squeezed the story and, while I enjoyed it overall, I think there was room for more in this one.

Doctor Omega

“Justice League” Blu-ray Details & Art

justice-league-blu-ray-details-and-art-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Entertainment have announced details of the home video release of Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon’s “Justice League” which hits Digital HD on February 13th and disc on March 13th.

“Justice League” will be available as a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD. All discs only contain the theatrical version of the film. Special features include:

Featurette: Road to Justice
Journey alongside DC comic creators as they explore over fifty years of the Justice League, from comic books to animated adventures to their cinematic debut.

Featurette: Heart of Justice
Discover the heart, soul and mind of the Justice League, as the cast and filmmakers share their admiration for DC’s iconic Trinity: Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman.

Featurette: Technology of the Justice League
From Batman’s arsenal to Cyborg’s alien tech, interface with the Justice League database to learn their most advanced secrets.

Featurette: Justice League: The New Heroes
Join Ray Fisher on a personal tour to meet the newest members of the Justice League: Aquaman, the Flash and Cyborg.

Featurette: The Return of Superman

Featurette: Steppenwolf the Conqueror
Join actor Ciarán Hinds and the filmmakers as they reveal the story behind mankind’s ancient enemy and the Justice League’s greatest challenge.

Featurette: Suit Up: The Look of the League
Costume Designer Michael Wilkinson explores the innovation and artistry that goes into creating the costumes of DC’s iconic heroes.

Scene Studies: Revisiting the Amazons, The Tunnel Battle, Wonder Woman’s Rescue, Heroes Park
Take a closer look at the filmmaking process behind Justice League’s most visually exciting and action-packed sequences

Deleted Scenes

Doctor Omega

Snyder Reveals Original “Justice League” Plans

snyder-reveals-original-justice-league-plans-696x464.jpg

Over the weekend, filmmaker Zack Snyder took part in a Q&A and late yesterday came word from that about his take on the reaction to “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and some of the criticisms levelled at it.

That film not only preceded Snyder’s work on “Justice League,” but the public reaction to it led to creative changes on the DC team-up film – even before Snyder left the project and handed it over to filmmaker Joss Whedon.

Speaking at the session, Snyder revealed what he originally had planned for “Justice League” was much darker:

“The original Justice League that Chris [Terrio] and I wrote, we didn’t even shoot. The actual idea, the hard, hard idea, the scary idea, we never filmed because the studio was like ‘That’s crazy.’ When this movie came out, understand that Chris Terrio and I had finished the script to Justice League before Batman v Superman came out. Some people didn’t like the movie. A vocal minority. So they said ‘There’s a lot of stuff we don’t want you to do,’ so we did a rewrite from that script. We were really nervous after the response.

The truth is that, the Knightmare sequence in this movie was always my idea that all of that would eventually be explained and we end up in a distant future, where Darkseid has taken over Earth…[and] a few members of the Justice League that had survived in that world…were fighting.”

The reports from the session continue, saying It seems on this future Earth it would appear Superman had succumbed to the Anti-Life Equation. There’s now a few surviving members including Batman, the Flash and a broken Cyborg all working to send The Flash back to warn Bruce.

They worked out a complicated time travel formula which the studio was said to be on board with, but they were nervous on the “details of how and why” the League broke up.

A lot dealt with trying to prevent the death of Lois Lane at the hands of Darkseid which would lead to Superman succumbing to the Anti-Life Equation and him blaming Batman for Lois’ death. So The Flash has to transport himself back in time to stop Lois’ murder.

The explanation effectively ends the talk of a Snyder cut of the film as Snyder’s original version was never shot, the movie undergoing a massive overhaul so that much of his original vision never was put to film. No word as yet if the originally planned version will be released either in script or comic book form.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I didn't like the version of JL that came out (there's stuff I do like in it, but as a whole, not a great movie). But the more I hear about what Snyder was planning, and knowing how he felt about the source material, I don't think his version would have been any better. Also...
(about BvS) Some people didn’t like the movie. A vocal minority.
Um, no, it wasn't a vocal minority. Most of us in the comic book community said he failed. He should have stopped after doing Watchmen, and ended on a high note.

Doctor Omega

Final “Justice League” Made Its DOP Cry

http://www.darkhorizons.com/final-justice-league-made-its-dop-cry/

While fanboys scream and rage about the fabled ‘Snyder Cut’ of 2017’s “Justice League” film, one of the few who could have an understandably legitimate grievance with the final product is cinematographer Fabian Wagner.

Wager served as director of photography alongside original director Zack Snyder. When Snyder left and the film underwent major reshoots with Joss Whedon taking over the helm, Wagner was unable to return because he was busy with another project.
Wagner can’t comment on how much of the final product he filmed and how much of it was reshoots, but whilst speaking with ComicBook Debate (via CBM) last week he was asked if seen the finished film to which he said “I have, unfortunately” and then he was asked about differences between the Snyder and theatrical cuts:
“It’s really hard to say because I was watching it and I think I was crying all the way through. So it’s hard for me to say exactly how much was changed, but a lot was changed. It looked very different. It’s sad for me because I loved working with Zack; I had the best time of my life.
There were many other things on that movie that made it so good apart from the fact that I was working with Zack and the whole gang. I met my wife on that job. There [were] a lot of other things. It was just a great shoot, and so it was a shame to see the film the way it turned out to be. You can just see, if you watched the first trailers you can see how the film should have looked and how the film did look when we were shooting it.”
He says the last he saw of “Justice League” in terms of its production, Zack Snyder was color-grading the trailers.

Doctor Omega

“Joss Wheadon’s [sic] on-set treatment of the cast and crew of Justice League was gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable. He was enabled, in many ways, by Geoff Johns and Jon Berg. Accountability>Entertainment.”