Review Lost in Space (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BMTU1MzAwODM4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjA4OTY5NDM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Lost in Space
is an upcoming American science fiction web television reboot of the 1965 series of the same name, following the adventures of a family of pioneering space colonists whose spaceship veers off-course.

It is written by Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless and will consist of 10 episodes.

The series is produced by Legendary Television, Synthesis Entertainment, and Applebox, with Zack Estrin serving as showrunner.

Lost in Space is scheduled to be released in May 2018 on Netflix.

Main Cast:
  • Toby Stephens as John Robinson, the expedition commander.
  • Molly Parker as Maureen Robinson, a fearless and brilliant aerospace engineer who makes the decision to bring her family to space for a chance at a new life on a better world.
  • Ignacio Serricchio as Don West, a roughneck smuggling luxury goods on the side who finds in the Robinsons the family he never thought he would find.
  • Taylor Russell as Judy Robinson, John and Maureen's eldest child.
  • Mina Sundwall as Penny Robinson, one of the Robinson children.
  • Maxwell Jenkins as Will Robinson, the youngest Robinson child.
  • Parker Posey as Dr. Smith
The Robot also appears in the series in a modified form.

Recurring
  • Raza Jaffrey as Victor, a well groomed, educated and officious man with a sense of entitlement. Victor has been a career builder and politician from a young age. There is arrogance and impatience about him. All this masks the underlying fear that he'll one day be found out — that he isn’t quite good enough.

Last edited:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I didn't think the movie was that bad to be honest, although not a patch on the tv series! This new version will be pants though I can be sure!
JB

The Seeker

I have to admit I never saw it, just read reviews. But from what I heard of it I didn’t like it. What they did to Dr. Smith! It sounded too gritty. Although if you say it wasn’t too bad maybe it wasn’t. But I bet this reboot will be “gritty” too.

Gavin

VIP
I've got mixed feelings about it, but if done properly, it has the potential to be a great series. The basic concept behind the show is sound and lends itself to a range of stories. It just depends how they go about it - it will need to be a bit less silly than the original, because that's not gonna work in today's TV market other than as a parody, but it will be very easy to stray too far into the "grim and gritty" direction, similar to Battlestar Galactica (which worked great for BSG but probably wouldn't for a show that's basically Swiss Family Robinson in space. Focus on dramatic storylines with lots of character development and a touch of humour and this could be fantastic.

I have to admit I never saw it, just read reviews. But from what I heard of it I didn’t like it. What they did to Dr. Smith! It sounded too gritty.
In fairness to the movie (which I liked but was unnecessarily complicated by the time-travel aspect), the "evil traitor" aspect of Dr Smith was actually based on the pilot episode of the TV series, it's just that the series didn't stick with that and made him the comic relief character instead.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Lost in Space: REBOOT IN DEVELOPMENT
Well, working on the principle that everything I used to like has now turned to shit, perhaps this reboot of a shit sixties TV show might turn out to be decent.

Well... it could!

Ah, who am I fooling? :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

johnnybear

Personally I loved the original series of Battlestar Galactica and hated the reimagined version from ten years back! Well I did sort of fancy Tricia Helfer as No.6 but that was about it for my interest!
JB

ant-mac

Personally I loved the original series of Battlestar Galactica and hated the reimagined version from ten years back! Well I did sort of fancy Tricia Helfer as No.6 but that was about it for my interest!
JB
I was never a big fan of the original BSG, but at least they knew how to film a space battle.

Who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to film space battles the way they did in the remake?

It looked like it was done by some guy in a spacesuit with a hand-held video camera who was always facing the wrong bloody way whilst struggling to figure out how to make the fucking focus function work. :emoji_angry:

Doctor Omega

Lost in Space was a comic book published by Innovation Comics, based upon the television series Lost in Space. It utilized the settings and characters from the series, but was set years after the end of the series, and featured older characters coming to terms with being cut off from Earth for so many years

History
In the 1980s, Bill Mumy (who played Will Robinson on the series) had tried, and failed, to convince Irwin Allen to allow production of a Lost in Space film for theatres or TV. In 1991, a fledgling publisher called Innovation Comics began to produce an ambitious, high-quality Lost in Space comic, which was authorized and licensed. It was scripted by Mumy himself, and his intention was to reflect the more serious tone of the first season episodes, but this was somewhat undercut by artwork that sexualized the characters of Judy and Penny Robinson, prompting some exasperated notes from Mumy in the editorial pages.

The comic also established a romantic triangle between Judy, Penny (now depicted as someone in her late teens), and Don that was not present in the original series.

One storyline in this comic book retcons the "serious episodes"—which some critics claim ended about a third of the way through the first season—as excerpts from Prof. Robinson's log, while the more humorous episodes were taken from Penny's diary. Also suggested is the idea that Dr. Smith is working with some of the aliens encountered in the early episodes, rather than with any terrestrial source, as evidenced by his efforts to make radio contact with some third party after the Jupiter II has left Earth.)

Lost in Space was Innovation's best selling property, outselling all their other comics combined. The comic only managed to run for 18 issues, 2 annuals and 1 of 2 issues of a miniseries however, but not because of poor sales. Innovation's ambitious projects couldn't keep ahead of their bottom line, and the company went out of business.

While this left a major story arc unresolved, a trade paperback entitled "Voyage to the Bottom of the Soul" was later published, completing the story.

!B6+K(iQ!mk_$(KGrHqF,!lEEy+jC1)KIBMy7gWyWQ!__-1_12.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

johnnybear

Aeolis fourteen Umbra are aliens? I always thought they were a communist organization dedicated to the downfall of the US and to stifle their plans of getting into space first! I prefer that idea to that of a race of alien conspirators to be honest!
JB

Last edited:

johnnybear

View attachment 4730

Lost in Space
is an upcoming American science fiction web television reboot of the 1965 series of the same name, following the adventures of a family of pioneering space colonists whose spaceship veers off-course.

It is written by Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless and will consist of 10 episodes.

The series is produced by Legendary Television, Synthesis Entertainment, and Applebox, with Zack Estrin serving as showrunner.

Lost in Space is scheduled to be released in May 2018 on Netflix.

Main Cast:
  • Toby Stephens as John Robinson, the expedition commander.
  • Molly Parker as Maureen Robinson, a fearless and brilliant aerospace engineer who makes the decision to bring her family to space for a chance at a new life on a better world.
  • Ignacio Serricchio as Don West, a roughneck smuggling luxury goods on the side who finds in the Robinsons the family he never thought he would find.
  • Taylor Russell as Judy Robinson, John and Maureen's eldest child.
  • Mina Sundwall as Penny Robinson, one of the Robinson children.
  • Maxwell Jenkins as Will Robinson, the youngest Robinson child.
  • Parker Posey as Dr. Smith
The Robot also appears in the series in a modified form.

Recurring
  • Raza Jaffrey as Victor, a well groomed, educated and officious man with a sense of entitlement. Victor has been a career builder and politician from a young age. There is arrogance and impatience about him. All this masks the underlying fear that he'll one day be found out — that he isn’t quite good enough.

Wonder why the producers of this, BSG and Doctor Who think we want a female version of our favourite characters? I mean when I was a kid none of the girls in my class at school watched Lost in Space, Doctor Who or Star Trek, so what gives? Star Trek:Voyager had a female Captain in Kathryn Janeway and that was fine as she was a good character and gave a different perspective to the series and not a male character to begin with! But it seems to be a conspiracy somewhere and how...

JB

Doctor Omega

I think it is a reactionary trend to years of perceived male domination in cinema and films. The trouble is that rather than true equality, the barometer is currently swinging, in my opinion, too far the other way to the point of silliness. Hopefully the whole trend will get parodied for the joke it threatens to become - or has already become - soon and things will naturally calm down.

All that's needed is balance, not the current form of - almost - revenge against the male hero figure!

Otherwise I guess we could make a list of male hero cinematic, literary and television figures (and also their arch-enemies) that have not yet been turned into women - and assume that they soon will be. Sad and silly, but I suspect true. :emoji_disappointed:

Doctor Omega

This cover is an excellent piece of work! I'd better keep quiet because my son is a new fan of the show and might pester me for this and I'll bet it costs quite a few pounds or more...

JB
Have looked into it and (from the little I can find) it seems that the comic is still running with issues on E-bay going about for about a fiver a pop at the moment.

And to make things even more expensive for collectors they seem to be doing "variant" covers, with what appears to be a choice of a photographic cover or an artwork cover.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l500.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

They certainly know how to milk fans' wallets! :emoji_head_bandage:

Doctor Omega

None of this is to be confused with a comic called THE SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON, that Gold Key produced in the 1960's.....

A comic book named Space Family Robinson was published by Gold Key Comics and written by Gaylord DuBois.[2] The Robinsons were: scientist father Craig, scientist mother June, early teens Tim (son) and Tammy (daughter), along with pets Clancy (dog) and Yakker (parrot). They lived in "Space Station One", a spacious moving craft with hydroponic gardens, observatory, and 2 small shuttle crafts ("Spacemobiles"). In the second issue, a cosmic storm deposited them far from Earth and they have adventures while they try to work their way home. That comic book is not a spinoff of the TV series but was in print prior to the conception of the show.

Space Family Robinson was published by Whitman and distributed by Western Publishing and sold for 60 cents each. They featured captions on their front covers such as #58's:

"An Emergency Landing on a War-Torn Planet Brings the Robinsons their strangest experience in Space!"

s-l1600.jpg s-l500.jpg

The whole of that odd run is available on DVD..... a format that I have collected a lot of old comics on......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPACE-FA...458270?hash=item4b33f84e9e:g:lOYAAOSwLjxaV6fc

s-l500 (1).jpg

Gavin

VIP
Wonder why the producers of this, BSG and Doctor Who think we want a female version of our favourite characters?
I think it is a reactionary trend to years of perceived male domination in cinema and films.
I agree with @Doctor Omega that there is a bit of a reactionary trend at the moment. In an ideal world we'd get all new female lead characters, however in the current "Hollywood" mode, where it's easier and safer to remake, reimagine, or reboot shows and movies, the only way to do this is to gender swap characters, because historically movies and TV shows have been largely male dominated in regard to lead roles.

The perfect way to create a proper gender balance (again in an ideal world) would be to write movies and TV shows gender blind. That is, write characters and detail their characteristics and interactions without specifying their gender and then audition and cast the best actors for each part. That sort of treatment could resolve not only gender issues, but also racial and sexuality issues. I understand that the original Alien movie was written without specifying genders. Each character was just given a surname that didn't imply gender and written without any gender stereotypes.

ant-mac

None of this is to be confused with a comic called THE SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON, that Gold Key produced in the 1960's.....

View attachment 5861 View attachment 5862

The whole of that odd run is available on DVD..... a format that I have collected a lot of old comics on......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPACE-FA...458270?hash=item4b33f84e9e:g:lOYAAOSwLjxaV6fc

View attachment 5863
I always enjoyed THE SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON stories much more than LOST IN SPACE.

And I still regard their spacecraft as one of the best designs I've ever seen.

For me, it's up there with the various Enterprises and the Liberator.

johnnybear

Another thing I never liked was how film studios changed the characters of comic books! I mean Sam Raimi did a fantastic job with his three movies adaptations of Spider-Man! But the next two were bad and I haven't seen the Homecoming movie, all I know is that ain't da Vulture that I know! Electro was one of my favourite Spidey baddies, maybe because he never appeared that often in the comic but in films he's portrayed as a black guy who transforms into a blue demonoid character rather than his white guy and green/yellow sparky outfit! How would fans feel if Luke Cage was transformed into a white guy? I mean apart from Starbuck being a woman in the new BSG, Colonel Tigh was a bald headed white fella rather than Terry Carter who was black and made the part his own! If you're going to recreate something leave the characters as they were originally presented or better still don't bother! They were good as they were and don't need updating!
JB