Review Lost in Space (2018)

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
The trailer doesn't give a lot away so far, but I'll give it a go just based on the fact that it's Lost in Space. Which sounds like I'm enabling all the producers that are too lazy to come up with an original show and just reboot whatever they can. But it will have to be a worthwhile reboot to make me stick around. Not just an "in name only" reboot, but close enough to the original concept to be worthy of the title, and yet it also needs to have something new to say and not just hit the same beats as the original.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Netflix’s “Lost in Space” Series

first-trailer-netflixs-lost-in-space.jpg

The announcement trailer and first photos have been released for “Lost in Space,” Netflix’s upcoming remake of the iconic 1960s sci-fi TV series. Additionally, an April 13th premiere date has been set for all ten episodes.

The story is set thirty years in the future, colonization in space is now a reality, and the Robinson family is among those tested and selected to make a new life for themselves in a better world.

But when the new colonists find themselves abruptly torn off course en route to their new home they must forge new alliances and work together to survive in a dangerous alien environment, light-years from their original destination.

Stranded along with the Robinsons are two outsiders – the unsettlingly charismatic Dr. Smith (Parker Posey) is a master manipulator with an inscrutable end game. And the roguish, but inadvertently charming Don West (Ignacio Serricchio) is a highly-skilled, blue collar contractor, who had no intention of joining the colony, let alone crash landing on a lost planet.

The series also stars Toby Stephens (“Black Sails”) and Molly Parker (“House of Cards”) as John and Maureen Robinson, Max Jenkins as Will, Mina Sundwall as Penny and Taylor Russell as Judy.

Doctor Omega

I don't know...

The trailer doesn't give a lot away so far, but I'll give it a go just based on the fact that it's Lost in Space. Which sounds like I'm enabling all the producers that are too lazy to come up with an original show and just reboot whatever they can. But it will have to be a worthwhile reboot to make me stick around. Not just an "in name only" reboot, but close enough to the original concept to be worthy of the title, and yet it also needs to have something new to say and not just hit the same beats as the original.

Agreed.

I have to say that this new incarnation - judged upon the visuals - seems to be ultra serious, thus lacking the frankly bonkers charm of the original show.

Not saying that it has to plumb the depths of lunacy that the original did, but an off the wall flavour and eccentric visual style would help it to stand out from all the other clone shows of it's ilk.

Bit unfair of me to judge it further than that, but that's honest first impressions.

And if the robot doesn't have floppy arms, shouting "DANGER, DANGER!", then I am out! :emoji_pouting_cat:

johnnybear

Is the black girl meant to be Judy? Or Penny? Those outfits look very similar to those in Enterprise! Wonder if there is a connection? All episodes for April 13th, Hmmmm will it bomb and if it does will they tell us or just say it's being renewed next year anyway!
JB

Gavin

VIP
Is the black girl meant to be Judy? Or Penny? Those outfits look very similar to those in Enterprise! Wonder if there is a connection? All episodes for April 13th, Hmmmm will it bomb and if it does will they tell us or just say it's being renewed next year anyway!
JB
Looking at IMDB she's Judy and the girl looking over her shoulder is Penny. Which is odd because if that's the case Penny looks to be older than Judy and I thought it was the other way around?
Edit: Further research shows that Mina Sundwall (Penny) was born in 2001 and Taylor Russell (Judy) was born in 1994 so they are the right ages. But that picture makes Taylor look about 12.

Doctor Omega

Lost in Space
Netflix has confirmed the second trailer for its new reimagining of “Lost in Space” will go online tomorrow and dropped a tease from the preview which you can see below. The tease was quite clever in that it was sent out via over two hundred tweets with each directed at every single Will Robinson on Twitter. “Lost in Space” arrives on Netflix April 13th.

https://twitter.com/lostinspacetv?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.darkhorizons.com%2Fquick-news-sweet-monster-moviepass-lost%2F

Doctor Omega

But - according to my latest dumb obsession - THE MANDELA EFFECT.....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-mandela-effect.4324/

Mandela Effect UPDATE!!! FOR "DANGER, WILL ROBINSON" LOST IN SPACE

This is a clip of the only episode in Lost In Space where the robot says the famous line and it does not happen how I remember it. I actually remember this happening multiple times with the Robots arms waving AROUND.

..... the robot in the show only ever said "DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!" once in the entire series! Not loads of times as people seem to remember it! :emoji_scream:

Doctor Omega

Second Trailer: Netflix’s “Lost in Space”

second-trailer-netflixs-lost-in-space-696x464.jpg

Following the announcement trailer a fortnight ago, Netflix has now released the second trailer for its upcoming “Lost in Space” remake which runs for ten episodes and premieres on the streaming service on April 13th.

The story is set thirty years in the future, colonization in space is now a reality, and the Robinson family is among those tested and selected to make a new life for themselves on a better world.

But when the new colonists find themselves abruptly torn off course en route to their new home they must forge new alliances and work together to survive in a dangerous alien environment, light-years from their original destination.

The Robinsons include Toby Stephens (“Black Sails”) and Molly Parker (“House of Cards”) as John and Maureen Robinson, Max Jenkins as Will, Mina Sundwall as Penny and Taylor Russell as Judy. Also onboard are the roguish Major Don West (Ignacio Serricchio), and master manipulator Dr. Smith (Parker Posey).

Doctor Omega

00.jpg

IumkQL9l.jpg

What are you expecting from this episode?

And please post your reviews of it here once it has aired.

In the distant future a family embarkes on a star ship to settle on another world. When an incident occurs they are thrown off course and become lost in space. The Robinson family is now trying to find their way back to earth.

On to the second episode.....

COMING SOON

Simian Jack

Member: Rank 1
Oof - debut less than satisfying? That's too bad, especially after the movie. I trust at least the robot doesn't run around shouting "I LOVE you, Will Robinson!" this time.

Will check it out as soon as I have time.

Doctor Omega

Actually, the episode has yet to air, SJ, but I have jumped the gun as always and already got a thread ready for the first episode. It might turn out to be a really good show yet! :emoji_alien:

Doctor Omega

Lost in Space | Featurette: The Robinsons' Journey

Meet the Robinson family as they blast off on an edge-of-your-seat adventure to establish a new colony in space, but find themselves suddenly pulled off course and crash landed on a lost planet. This first featurette provides an inside look into the family, the lost planet, and the adventures they embark on together. Lost In Space launches globally on Netflix April 13th.

Doctor Omega

Producers Talk “Lost in Space” Smith Change

producers-on-lost-in-space-smith-change-696x464.jpg

When Netflix’s upcoming reboot of “Lost in Space” was announced, there was some curiosity and interest. However, it wasn’t until Parker Posey joined the cast as Dr. Smith that there was suddenly a whole lot more attention paid.

Jonathan Harris’ iconic campy turn in the original often stole the show and couldn’t be replicated, something Gary Oldman was aware of with his much darker take on Smith in the 1998 film adaptation. The changing of the character of Dr. Smith into a woman for the new one, combined with the hiring of Posey who’s famed for her comic talents, immediately sets it apart and executive producer Kevin Burns tells Cinema Blend it was very much a conscious decision:

“Jon [Jashni, EP] and I had wanted Dr. Smith to be a woman. Why? Because we were very close to Jonathan Harris. I knew him very well. I had him in my ear telling me ‘If they ain’t got me they got nothing. Kevin, I love you, but it will fail because I am Dr. Smith and nobody else can be Dr. Smith. That’s why that Gary Oldman movie died.’

So we said we won’t invite that comparison. What we’ll do is we will cast someone who will bring to it everything Jonathan brought to it but from a totally different perspective without having all of that baggage.

Toby Stephens, Molly Parker and Ignacio Serricchio also star in “Lost in Space” which will debut on Netflix in full on April 13th.

Doctor Omega

“Jon [Jashni, EP] and I had wanted Dr. Smith to be a woman. Why? Because we were very close to Jonathan Harris. I knew him very well. I had him in my ear telling me ‘If they ain’t got me they got nothing. Kevin, I love you, but it will fail because I am Dr. Smith and nobody else can be Dr. Smith. That’s why that Gary Oldman movie died.’

So we said we won’t invite that comparison. What we’ll do is we will cast someone who will bring to it everything Jonathan brought to it but from a totally different perspective without having all of that baggage.

A reasoning that just happens to tie in with the current trend for gender changing of characters.

Not sure if this is a sincere gesture, based on knowing J. Harris, or spinning an excuse - while putting words in the mouth of a deceased actor who ain't here to say what he really thinks.:emoji_confused:

johnnybear

I think we've all had enough of this gender swapping ideas thrust upon our favourite television shows! Why can't they just make a series off their own back without trying to steal the idea from a show long gone? I mean we first had to put up with Starbuck being a woman in the new Battlestar Galactica, which failed miserably for me as I was a big fan of the original series and no new reboot would suffice, but with Doctor Who, which was already on it's last legs, it smells of desperation and trying to appeal to a group of fans with no real love for the older series of fifty years ago and it's the same here with LIS!
Now what if we guys wanted Wonder Woman to be a man instead, or Miss Marple to be an elderly gentlemen? Would they then say we were being silly? The one franchise they wouldn't dare to mess to with is the James Bond one, because if they did and called him/her Jane Bond, then everyone would suddenly realise exactly what they're trying to do with our entertainment and heroes and villains! What next, Darth Vader as a woman? This no gender madness will lead to ruin, it's so obvious!
JB

Doctor Omega

This no gender madness will lead to ruin, it's so obvious!
It's definitely getting old now, in my opinion, and is so, so lazy and creatively limited. I imagine that every time someone suggests it, they are all excited and thinking they are inventing the wheel. They are not. They are just putting a new tyre on an old wheel, instead of inventing a wheel of their own.