Review Lost in Space (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Netflix’s “Lost In Space” Opening Titles

netflixs-lost-in-space-opening-titles-696x464.jpg

Legendary has unveiled the main title sequence for Netflix‘s upcoming modern reimagining of the classic sci-fi series “Lost in Space”.

Set thirty years in the future where colonization of space is now a reality, the Robinson family is among those tested and selected to make a new life for themselves in a better world.

But when the new colonists find themselves abruptly torn off course en route to their new home, they must forge new alliances and work together to survive in a dangerous alien environment, light-years from their original destination.

Toby Stephens, Molly Parker, Max Jenkins and Parker Posey star in the series which premieres next Friday April 13th.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Netflix’s “Lost In Space” Opening Titles

View attachment 7266

Legendary has unveiled the main title sequence for Netflix‘s upcoming modern reimagining of the classic sci-fi series “Lost in Space”.

Set thirty years in the future where colonization of space is now a reality, the Robinson family is among those tested and selected to make a new life for themselves in a better world.

But when the new colonists find themselves abruptly torn off course en route to their new home, they must forge new alliances and work together to survive in a dangerous alien environment, light-years from their original destination.

Toby Stephens, Molly Parker, Max Jenkins and Parker Posey star in the series which premieres next Friday April 13th.

Ugh! Reminds me a lot of the Enterprise credits!
JB

Doctor Omega

lost-in-space-s2-already-being-scripted-696x464.jpg

Though it hasn’t gotten an official renewal as yet, the co-creators of Netflix’s “Lost In Space” reboot are already at work developing a second season.

Premiering this past Friday, the family-friendly update of the classic 1960s sci-fi series scored mixed reviews but ended on a cliffhanger which leads to the obvious question as to whether the story of the Family Robinson will continue.

Speaking with Indiewire, co-creators Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless say the follow-up season will be wilder and go further into the origin of the robot:

“[The details are] pretty well worked out. There’s obviously a deep backstory of the robot and the causality of what caused this whole world to happen, and we’ve definitely figured that part out… We are working on scripts and hoping that if we get a green light we’re ready to go. We’ve had a lot of thoughts about it, and hopefully, if everyone watches it, we’ll get to see more adventures of the Robinsons, because we do have some crazy stuff planned out that we really hope we get to film.”

Netflix doesn’t release viewing numbers so it’s not clear how many people have tuned in to the new “Lost in Space” so far.

Doctor Omega

Lost in Space
In the wake of the release of the show’s first season last week on Netflix, a visual effects reel from Image Engine has been released showcasing some of the CG work they did on the new “Lost in Space” series. From the robot sidekick to the Jupiter-2, you can check out the superbly rendered work below:

johnnybear

Anyone notice Billy Mumy as the new Dr.Zachary Smith in the first episode? They should have given the role to Bill as a nod to the original series and Jonathan Harris himself!
JB

Gavin

VIP
Just seen the first couple of episodes. Its intriguing so far although not at all like Lost in Space. But as a standalone sci-fi series about a colonist family shipwrecked it's got potential.

Gavin

VIP
Watched the first 2 episodes - its not bad - will definitely be watching more.

And I quite enjoyed the movie although it was flawed.

Gavin

VIP
I don't care for the LOST IN SPACE opening credits, but eventually, I came to really like the STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE opening credits.
The opening credits for Enterprise were great. Didn't really feel like Star Trek but on their own they were fantastic. The show on the other hand ...

Haven't really paid much attention to the Lost in Space credits yet but I did appreciate the appearance of the original theme in the first episode music.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
The opening credits for Enterprise were great. Didn't really feel like Star Trek but on their own they were fantastic. The show on the other hand ...

Haven't really paid much attention to the Lost in Space credits yet but I did appreciate the appearance of the original theme in the first episode music.
I enjoyed many aspects of the TV series STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE. It certainly wasn't perfect, but I'd take it over the more recent effort morning, noon and night.

In fact, my main complaint concerning it - and STAR TREK: VOYAGER - were the short running times of the episodes. I think they were anywhere up to 5 or 6 minutes shorter than an episode of the original STAR TREK.

Gavin

VIP
In fact, my main complaint concerning it - and STAR TREK: VOYAGER - were the short running times of the episodes. I think they were anywhere up to 5 or 6 minutes shorter than an episode of the original STAR TREK.
That's because they had to fit an extra 5 or 6 minutes of ads in. You look at any show from the 1960's and an hour show works out to be around 48-50 minutes. Newer shows have to fit a one hour show into around 42 minutes.

johnnybear

TOS was 50 minutes or close to while TNG were on average 44 minutes which was printed on the back of the video box while VOY was only 42 minutes long! Soon it will be 38 minutes for an average television show so that they can fit in more adverts!
JB

Gavin

VIP
Soon it will be 38 minutes for an average television show so that they can fit in more adverts!
JB
If television with advertising continues long enough (as opposed to streaming with fees) I imagine we'll get to the point where its 40 minutes of ads for every 20 minutes of show.

johnnybear

I'm looking forward to the days that television ends and you just have subscription services in this country like Netflix and others and that way I can decide to save my money and just watch my DVD collection over and over instead!
JB

Doctor Omega

Why Lost In Space Is Getting Cancelled

Danger, Will Robinson...your final season is approaching. Netflix has announced that Lost in Space, the modern re-imagining of the classic '60s TV series, will come to an end after its upcoming third season. The final go-round is expected to hit the streamer sometime in 2021. The sci-fi revival got off to a bit of a rough start when it debuted in April of 2018. Critics generally agreed that it looked gorgeous and was well-acted by its formidable cast. The first season, however, was taken to task in some quarters for not having the narrative ambition to match its impressive visuals. The second season, debuting in December 2019, was received much more warmly. Critics appreciated the added dramatic heft that batch of episodes brought to the story of the marooned Robinson family, and the special effects were even more stunning and elaborate than in the first outing. Viewers ready for some binge-watching over the holiday season also flocked to the series, making a third season all but inevitable. So it was somewhat unexpected that Season 3 would actually be the series' last. Fortunately for the show's fans, however, this wasn't really an unexpected development. According to producer and showrunner Zack Estrin, Netflix didn't exactly pull the plug on Lost in Space; the streamer simply followed the plan which Estrin and crew had had all along. In a statement following Netflix's announcement, Estrin indicated that he had always had a clear picture in his head of where the Robinson family's adventures would take them, and how their story would eventually conclude. The statement explained, "From the beginning, we've always viewed this particular story of the Robinsons as a trilogy, a three-part epic family adventure with a clear beginning, middle, and end. It's also worth noting that, with what these characters go through just trying to survive each episode, if anyone deserves to catch their breath before their next mission, it's Will, Penny, Judy, Maureen, John, Don West, Dr. Smith...and The Robot. And, of course, Debbie the Chicken. So while this chapter of Lost In Space is coming to a rousing conclusion, I'm excited about continuing to explore new stories with my friends at Netflix, and for all of the incredible possibilities that lie ahead." While it may be a bit disappointing for fans that Lost in Space will be coming to a close just as it appears to be picking up a head of steam, there's definitely something to be said for the series' creative team having such a strong vision for its narrative. Sure, with such a potentially open-ended premise, a show like Lost in Space could potentially go on for season after season, but more often than not, this is a recipe for even the most well-received shows to wear out their welcome. Fans can at least be reasonably assured that Estrin and company will end the series on a high note, and that the Robinson family will find closure in the final chapters of their story. Estrin may not exactly be a household name, but he has a pretty sterling record as a television producer and writer. He cut his teeth on the series Charmed and Dawson's Creek, and was also an executive producer on Prison Break, which ran for 5 seasons beginning in 2005. Since then, Estrin has taken on a producing role on a number of genre series, including ABC's The River, Zero Hour, and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. Netflix was satisfied enough with the performance of Lost in Space that, in conjunction with the announcement of the series' discontinuation, it was also revealed that Estrin has signed an multi-year overall deal to develop and produce new content for the streamer. So, while fans of Lost in Space may be lamenting the series' end, there are a couple of pretty awesome takeaways here: first, that the series will receive a planned, epic conclusion; and second, that its driving creative force will be back with more serialized goodness in the very near future. Of course, we'll be keeping an eye out for Estrin's upcoming projects to hit the Netflix pipeline, and we'll be sure to keep you informed. Watch the video to find out Why Lost In Space Is Getting Cancelled!