Review Missing Television

Discussion in 'TV: General' started by Doctor Omega, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

My sister was telling me the other day of an episode of TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION from ITV that had spooked her growing up.

It turned out to have been wiped, but an audio exists of it and is on Youtube.

The story was LOST HEARTS by MR James.

The version my sister recalls was made in 1966.

Here is the audio of that version.....

But it was remade in 1973 by the BBC as A CHRISTMAS GHOST STORY - and this is the version that spooked me growing up and this one thankfully still exists....

Here's a clip.....

Anyone else remember either - or both - of these adaptions? It seems that people generally find that the 1966 version was truly terrifying.. But we may never know for sure now, miraculous find permitting! :emoji_alien:

2. johnnybear

johnnybear Member: Rank 4

The BBC version from 1973 is available on DVD as a Ghost Stories at Christmas box set but might be quite expensive I believe nowadays!
    JB

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

A recent find.....

"THWUM"

An episode of SECOND CITY FIRST from 1975, with Pete Postlethwaite in his first tv role.....

Screening soon at the BFI....

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/...al&utm_source=facebookbfi&utm_campaign=buffer

thwum-1973-001-pete-postlethwaite.jpg

SPOILERS AHEAD.....

• Having extensively researched British UFO sightings, Bernard has discovered a pattern to their times, dates and map reference data, that enables him to accurately predict when and where a string of future sightings will occur. When the locations of these are marked on a map, they form a huge spiral; the center point of which, he is convinced, will be the precise position for an event of monumental significance: no less than open contact with an alien intelligence! The time of that event will be tonight, and Bernard is in readiness at the remote spot in his caravan. He is also anticipating the company of personnel from UFO groups throughout Europe, television and radio companies, and numerous newspapers; to which he has made invitations. His wife: Joy, is quietly uneasy with the whole affair as she leaves him alone there until the morning. The first of the invited: a journalist that Bernard does not recognize, named Duffy, arrives just after Joy has left. He is a patient listener that avoids both skepticism and any sign of acceptance that Bernard's convictions are factual. Glancing frequently through the caravan's windows into the blackness outside, they discuss the occurrences that lead up to this evening and the possible consequences of what could happen next. As the night progresses, Bernard has to accept that no-one else he invited is going to turn up, and anything that occurs will only be witnessed by the two of them. The appointed hour finally arrives. And by the time it has uneventfully passed, Bernard's excitement has been transformed by degrees into dejected disappointment. Everything he believed now seems to have been wrong. With all apparently lost, the stranger Duffy suddenly undergoes a transformation: revealing himself to actually be the benevolent alien emissary that Bernard had been there for that night. Naked now and eerily glowing, Duffy declares their meeting to have been successful in enabling him to learn about the nature of mankind. Shocked beyond his imaginings, Bernard watches him leave.

Second City Firsts was a BBC drama anthology series of short plays, written largely by first time writers, which were transmitted between 1973 and 1978.

Here is another complete episode from that series.....

An early role for Alison Steadman part of the BBC First City Firsts string of dramas. This episode was broadcast on 20.03.75 and is from Series 4 Episode 1.

4. johnnybear

johnnybear Member: Rank 4

Can't say I know of this show! I remember poor old Pete Postlethwate having cancer of the privates back in the nineties and surviving the blasted thing but it got him in the end sadly enough!
    JB

• Like Like x 1
  5. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

400px-Spike_Milligan.jpg

Just announced...

DISCOVERY 272:

The Wednesday Show - tx: 18.12.1968

with David Jacobs, Roger Ordish, Spike Milligan and Sir Francis Chichester. Directed by Jim Moir.

Earlier in the year Kaleidoscope was contacted by a film collector who had been given a bag of film many years ago. The print was probably dropped on the floor without a core so it unspooled on impact. Over the years the bag had been squashed and moved around. The film was bent and twisted and sitting in a tangle in the old bag. Kaleidoscope spent some time putting the print back together and re-splicing all the joins. The musical number has been excised from this print, which suggests it was an overseas print, but it's great to see some lost Spike Milligan footage found again.

16mm print.