Fun Open Thread

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Funny Vehicle Photos

Post photo's of funny automotive related stuff. Cars, Trucks, Vans, Motorcycles, etc. Bad duct tape jobs, auto jokes, real ugly cars/truck/van, auto art, etc.

I'm not surprised anymore what people do to vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Why Would You Put That On The Internet?

I love this series on Youtube. They are up to 121 videos now. Stuff like this makes you think before you post something dumb on Twitter.

streak1981

Member: Rank 3
This totally escaped my knowledge, & I'm kinda pissed about it...

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. (Didn't know where else to post this...)

RAINN is having a 5K run on May 20, 2017 in Washington DC... However, I believe this link says that other cities nationally (in the States) can organize runs/walks/bikes in support of it. I'll post the link...

https://www.rainn.org/news/register-now-fourth-annual-lace-rainn-5k

Edited my post after I checked further into this... Would be nice if this reached a global level, though...

Carol

Member: Rank 5

To enhance the circulation of knowledge, here;s some applied usage to go with the theory class. Enjoy!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
After 146 Years, Ringling Brothers Circus Takes Its Final Bow

0000.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/21/nyregion/ringling-brothers-circus-takes-final-bow.html

UNIONDALE, N.Y. — The lights went up on the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey circus on Sunday evening to reveal 14 lions and tigers sitting in a circle, surrounding a man in a sparkling suit. It was a sight too implausible to seem real yet such an iconic piece of Americana that it was impossible to believe the show would not go on.

After 146 years, Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey is closing for good, responding to a prolonged slump in ticket sales that has rendered the business unsustainable, according to its operator, Feld Entertainment. On Sunday, the circus glittered, thundered and awed beneath the booms and klieg lights of Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. That there was no tent over the final show, no striped eaves from which the daring young man on the flying trapeze could hang, felt fitting. The big top was packed up, this time forever.

Autumn Luciano stood outside, ticket in hand. “It feels a little like a funeral today, but I’m trying not to mourn it in a sad way,” said Ms. Luciano, 33, a pinup photographer who had flown in from Lansing, Mich., to see the last show. “Circus is all about being happy.”

She pulled up her sleeve to reveal a tattoo of a circus tent on her wrist. Without circuses, “we lose the ability to go and see that humans can do anything,” she said. “You go to the circus and see human beings doing insane things, but the truth is, we all have the ability to do crazy things.”

800px-Ringling_poster_1898_edited.jpg

91476-004-DC5C133D.jpg

This circus began in 1871 as P. T. Barnum’s Grand Traveling Museum, Menagerie, Caravan & Hippodrome, and Feld bought it in 1967. After the removal of elephants from the performance last year after fierce and prolonged condemnation from animal rights groups, already-falling ticket sales dropped even further. The circus — with its 500-person crew, 100 animals and mile-long trains, which moved around the trapeze and its artists, the high wire and its tightrope walkers, the motorcycles and the daredevils — had become infeasible in an age in which video games and cellphone screens compete to provide childhood wonder.

When the ringmaster, Johnathan Lee Iverson, first saw the circus as a 9-year-old at Madison Square Garden in Manhattan, he could have sworn that the spangled horses that galloped there were real unicorns. At 41, after nearly two decades with Ringling Brothers, he has an awe in his voice when he speaks of the place that suggests that his certainty endures.

The world is losing “a place of wonder,” he said at an event a few days before the final performances. All around him, performers with thick makeup and saddened faces spoke to reporters about the circus’s demise. “It’s the last safe space,” he said. “It’s the last pure form of entertainment there is.”

For Ashley Vargas, 30, who worked with the animals and skated in the show, the loss of the elephants, some of which she had tended to from birth, was the beginning of the end. The elephants were retired to the circus’s sanctuary in Florida.

“To this day, the final performance with the elephants is the hardest performance I have ever had to go through,” she said. “I had to say goodbye to elephants I’d been with since they were born. They were part of my family.”

ringling-brothers-circus-ends.png

Beside her, Daniel Eguino clutched the handlebars of the blue motorcycle he rode inside a metal cage called the Globe of Death. Mr. Eguino, 29, the son of a contortionist mother and a father who was a trapeze artist, said he was heartbroken. “Not because they close the show that I work in — it’s that they close history,” he said.

The final show was shot through with moments in which performers broke the fourth wall to reflect on the end. As two tigers sat watching, their master, Alexander Lacey, turned to the crowd. “People are not really concerned with lots of wildlife until they can feel it and see it, enjoy it and love it as much as I do,” he said, urging the audience to support well-run circuses and zoos. “Sorry, boys, I don’t usually do that,” he said turning back to the patient tigers, awaiting their next cues. “I’ve confused you.”

ringling-2-680uw.jpg

After the trapeze artists fell one by one into the net below their rig at the end of their act, the final two gymnasts walked toward each other in the middle of the net. Suspended above the ground, the two men grasped each other in a long embrace.

Yet in the halls outside the three final performances, which were given consecutively on Sunday, sadness seemed to be banished. Children snatched at souvenir swords, pulled tiger masks over their heads and slurped rainbow snow cones from cups shaped like elephants. The crowd seemed buoyed by the frivolity of the clowns, and the way that a triple flip from the rafters by a glittering young woman onto the shoulders of a beaming young man made anything seem possible. For some, clearly, hope bubbled anew with each big clash of the cymbals.

Many said they believed the circus would somehow return, perhaps retooled and rebranded, a better fit for the age. “If it doesn’t?” said Shawn Goberdhan, 31, a pharmacy manager from Queens carrying his son Lucas, 2, in his arms. “I can’t even think about it.”

Some performers, like Rigoberto Cardenas, 35, a fifth-generation trapeze artist from Chile, worried about what would become of their art after the last pony pranced out of the proverbial big top and the last gymnast took her bow. “New generations of my family, they are not going to see in me what they want to be,” Mr. Cardenas said. “For a circus performer, that’s what you aim to do, to be in the memory of your people for all time.”

Eating popcorn from a candy-striped bag during intermission, William Holden, 59, a hospital administrator from Dover, Del., said change might be good. “It’s the greatest last show on earth,” he said, “but we have to live and change and adapt and keep moving. That’s the beauty of America: We keep changing, and we move on.” He headed back into the show.

Inside the arena, the ringmaster strutted, and the horses — or maybe they were unicorns — galloped by. A few days earlier, Mr. Iverson had said that the end of his career, of the circus, was unthinkable. As long as his top hat was on and he was safe in his jacket with the sparkling epaulets, he could pretend the show would go on.

“You can cry,” Mr. Iverson said, “after the curtain closes.”

Circus2017_Showpage2-26d407ce71.jpg

As the show finally ended, the backstage crew members, the animal handlers, the performers’ small children and even the train engineers joined the performers on the arena floor, standing with the costumed dancers. They sang a round of “Auld Lang Syne.”

But before that, the people in the crowd rose to their feet for a prolonged ovation. The ringmaster cheered back at them, “You mean the circus isn’t antiquated?” The crowd roared. “You mean you love the circus?” he said. The noise was deafening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/circus_leaves_town

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Annoyed With Youtubers Begging

I have been noticing more and more lately Youtubers are begging. Since most lost their ads on their videos. They are saying go to Pateron, give me money, get exclusive postings for those paying people, and help keep my channel going. Some are livestreaming, and getting money that way. This is not 5 or 10 dollar handouts people are sending 50, 100, even more then that, just to get a "Hi and Thanks YippyDippty"or a bad drawing/poem/story. Some are doing that 2 to 3 times a week. and getting money that way. I am to the point on many channels I watch to leave since the begging is getting out of hand. I'm just tired of the begs going Like my video, Sub to my Channel, Share my video, and Donate. Sad to say it but most of the channels are begging more and more lately. It use to be begs for likes, and subs, now its donations. I really hope the begging quits, and this trend dies out soon.

There are many great channels out there, not begging and, still putting out great stuff. Those channels don't need handouts, and seem to have fun in what they are doing. In my eyes, if a video is good, I might give it a like or a comment. There are still many channels just having fun with the stuff they put out there. Those ones are the ones I think will still be around in the long run, and not the greedy ones.

What's your feelings on this?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
For the most part, this doesn't bother me too much. I know that there are still many out there who do this as a side project, and it's meant to be a fun thing to do. But for some, this is a source of income, and YouTube has gone out of their way to constantly screw creators over with payments. Some creators do set up a Patreon simply to beg for money, while others have done so only to better their channels, update equipment, software, and make it more presentable. As someone who would love to do something along those lines and make a decent living at it, I can get behind setting up a Patreon. It's no different than an author or filmmaker setting up a GoFundMe or Kickstarter.

But yeah, as far as YouTube goes, I know of a couple of channels I watch fairly regularly who have said that because of the way the service does it's advertising and promotions, they have gotten screwed over because the site wants more content, regardless of quality. Which, to me, is a load of crap, but it's the way of business. It's not about creativity or quality, it's about how much content you can shit out.

And for the creators just doing videos and having fun with it? I'm all for it! And I hope they all stick around for a long time.

Doctor Omega

'Indestructible' eight-legged tardigrade will easily outlive humans
The researchers say the discovery makes a strong case for the exploration of life on Mars and other areas of space.

TARDIGRADE (2).jpg

Scientists believe a tiny eight-legged creature will be the last surviving life form on Earth and could survive catastrophes including a massive asteroid impact.

The tardigrade can live up to 30 years without food or water, can endure temperatures from close to absolute zero to 150C, and even survive in space.

The bug-like organism, also known as a water bear, only measures around half a millimetre.

They have been found in all kinds of habitats from the Himalayas to the bottom of the sea, but most species live in a watery environment and can often be found living on lichens and mosses.

Research suggests tardigrades will outlive humans and are likely to be around for quite a while - another 10 billion years, or until the death of the sun.

They would likely survive all astrophysical calamities, including asteroids, exploding stars in the form of supernovae or gamma ray bursts, according to research from Oxford and Harvard universities.

The ability of tardigrades to survive should spur on the search for life on Mars, said the co-author of a report into the creatures.

"Tardigrades are as close to indestructible as it gets on Earth, but it is possible that there are other resilient species examples elsewhere in the universe," said Dr Rafael Alves Batista from Oxford University.

"In this context there is a real case for looking for life on Mars and in other areas of the solar system in general."

The research was published in the journal Scientific Reports.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Being indestructible checks out, but eight-legged? They should only have six.

And you missed out on the most important information of all...

Are they dimensionally transcendental?

Doctor Omega

Research suggests tardigrades will outlive humans

Wow! The extinction of the entire human species.

That's harsh.

But at least it should put an end to the reboots, remakes and re-imaginings that we, as a viewing species, are having to put up with. :emoji_confused:

I wonder what the Tardigrades will make of our filmic legacy? :emoji_confused:

Last edited: