Philippine Movies Thread

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
Were they buried that poorly or did I miss something that caused them to surface? Supernatural spice?
The grave was almost exactly where the eagle was shot, but neither Maya at that time nor the ranger and cops who late inspected the scene could see it. I thought When I watched it that the final scene, which stylistically took the viewer out of the movie with its silence, was Maya seeing something that the eagles were only revealed to her.

But as I wrote that, it occurred to me that it might simply be that they were buried that poorly. Like the human condition had gotten that rotten that no one even takes the effort to properly bury their secrets anymore.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
The grave was almost exactly where the eagle was shot, but neither Maya at that time nor the ranger and cops who late inspected the scene could see it. I thought When I watched it that the final scene, which stylistically took the viewer out of the movie with its silence, was Maya seeing something that the eagles were only revealed to her.

But as I wrote that, it occurred to me that it might simply be that they were buried that poorly. Like the human condition had gotten that rotten that no one even takes the effort to properly bury their secrets anymore.
It did seem like the eagles led her to the grave. But it's weird that they would eagle-whisper to her after she just killed one of them. Or maybe they respected the way she did it with the breathing thing. Oh well, nit pik nit pik. I enjoyed the flick.

plsletitrain

I got all that. I was asking why they were buried so poorly. I mean, if you are trying to hide something by burying it, why leave half of it sticking up out of the ground? or did I miss something that caused them to surface?
I think that image was the very image (or at least the image that the media projected) upon discovery of the excavation site of the Maguindanao massacre. When I saw that scene, I immediately thought of the massacre. Bodies were piled on top of each other. That's how I (we) thought the actual site looked like.

sitenoise

Okay, my answer is: After killing one of the eagles she became, and was recognized as such by the eagles, an eagle whisperer. The eagles brought her back to the scene of the crime and gave her eagle eyes so she could see the bodies--no one else could see them, and she couldn't see them until she was given the eagle eyes.

clayton-12

But it's weird that they would eagle-whisper to her after she just killed one of them. Or maybe they respected the way she did it with the breathing thing
You’re probably thinking too anthropomorphically - the eagle is a sacred being whose spirit is within the land, it is above human foibles like tribal revenge. Once Maya had transcended those desires, the eagles’ (and the land’s) secrets were revealed to her. The scene with the grandmother was essential to the whole movie.

sitenoise

Once Maya had transcended those desires, the eagles’ (and the land’s) secrets were revealed to her.
Oh yeah, okay. It wasn't after getting her breathing in sync with one of their brethren, but after she didn't kill Barney Fife she was given the eagle eyes.

sitenoise

If it’s one of the scenes I’m thinking of, I think if you look again, you’ll see he’s wearing a shirt from the hacienda.
That's the second time. The first time he was wearing a fisherman's cap and raincoat and looked like he came from I Know What You Did Last Summer.

plsletitrain

I was probably too engrossed with the Maguindanao massacre reference that I forgot to look at the movie in an independent perspective. I think yeah, if I had "eagle eyes" which was gifted right after I got the breathing in sync, I could see right through the depths of the soil too.

I honestly can't for the life of me remember the exact scenes already. I watched this what, last two weeks ago. I have memory issues.

plsletitrain

What movie are we talking about?
Bwahahahahaha!!!!!! Seriously, get back to me in two months time and ask me about some scenes in the movie and I'll give you a blank look.:emoji_head_bandage: No, make that two days. lol

Edit: Yeah seriously what movie are you talking about? I can't remember a fisherman's cap and raincoat now. I remember a hacienda, though.

clayton-12

Yeah seriously what movie are you talking about? I can't remember a fisherman's cap and raincoat now.
Don’t worry, we all get old and confused ... happened to me many years ago. He’s probably thinking back to Nao Omori’s boots in Vibrator. The first time we saw the dude in the woods was when he spooked Maya after she shot the bird - he was definitely wearing the red-checked hacienda shirt

plsletitrain

My 2 Mommies (2018)

Once again, true love prevails. I shouldn't be seeing myself buying tickets to these Regal films that comprise of cheesy, corny plots and dialogues with over-the-top acting that makes for a good eyebrow-raising exercise but because I love Paolo Ballesteros, I found myself entering the cinema for this. If this movie made a record, it would be for the reason that I think I may have literally slept on this one. Poor story, poor dialogue. The only redeeming factor was Paolo and Solenn Heusaff's natural acting but not even Maricel Sorianos' exaggerated comedic style helped.

The story is about Paolo's character who's gay (sorry I really don't have interest on the film that I don't want to google the character names) finding himself having a 7 year old son from a previous relationship. The mother is played by Solenn Heusaff. His dilemma starts when he wants to be the best dad without sacrificing his relationship with his partner and the mother of the child. Yeah, something like that. Really, I slept on it. It didn't help that I watched it at an ungodly hour and I wasn't sleeping well and then you throw me a Regal film, for why oh why does Paolo baby have to settle with these? Is he bound by contract that the only projects he receives are ones with cheesy corny plots and dialogues? If so, until when?????? I only pray for the heavens to give him a project where his acting prowess can be showcased and he'll be paired with equally talented actors and his role is not just some gay guy with masterful make-up who dreads being discovered out of the closet.

plsletitrain

Halik sa Hangin (2015)

This is a Star Cinema film so be warned. I don't want to waste my braincells in making a review of this but in case.....

As expected, the usual Star Cinema flaw is spotted here. They cast bankable stars regardless of talent so seeing Gerald Anderson acting so constipated and trying to elicit dramatic chops is usual. Most Star Cinema films have promising plots, though. Sometimes its the plot that will redeem the movie. Other times it would be the execution because they're also known to produce cheesy, cliched, corny money-making films. But I liked the story here so I think this film is better read than watched. lol

I started the film almost halfway so I missed the first parts and I don't regret so. Because from what I gathered, its just a girl named Mia (Julia Montes) trying to escape her demons and finding solace in the coldest spot in the Philippines (Baguio). She meets Gio whom she falls in love with. He promises her love and forever, but he's mysterious. You think being mysterious is quite sexy. Gio is literally a mystery. lol. I want to specify the plot but shall I be reported if I post a spoiler? Anyway I don't think this will pique the interest of my comrades here so I think I'll just post what he is. Don't report me guys, okay? He's a ghost. lol. But he doesn't look like Casper. He appears in human form, but when he and Mia meets, its a different world. When Mia finally finds out that her interaction with Gio is a meet between the present and the after world, she becomes tied to her promise of accepting Gio for what he is. Even coming to his world. Literally. Will she revert to reality or will her love cost her her own life?

The plot sounds really good but its lost on the execution. Poor choice of actors, good choice of setting.

plsletitrain

Don't Give Up Tomorrow (2011)- This is a documentary which has been made in 2011 but has been back to circulation lately because of the movie Jacqueline Comes Home (The Chiong Story) which is now showing in our cinemas. I wanted to watch the movie but I still have to find time so I decided to watch the documentary first instead.

This docu is focused on Juan Francisco "Paco" Larranaga, of Spanish and Cebuano descent, the primary suspect, in the kidnap, rape, and murder of two sisters named Marijoy and Jacqueline, all surnamed Chiong, which happened in Cebu, Philippines on July 16, 1997. The docu follows his life from the time he was arrested, to his trial, until his eventual transfer to Spain where he served the remaining of his sentence.

The documentary provides a good peek into what could be called a "mistrial" in one of the most celebrated and high-profile cases of Cebu. It provides relevant interviews and facts presented (but note that the filmmaker is a relative of the suspect so the evidences and streak of footages were all focused on Paco's "innocence"). Even if you are not familiar with the whole story of the crime, you will not get lost because the docu provides a chronological presentation and narration of events.

Recommended.

(A copy of this is found online so if you've got free time, it will be a fun watch to test your investigative skills if justice to the Chiong sisters was indeed served.)

Last edited:

plsletitrain

Its Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino (Feast of Philippine Movies) here now which is what I have been most looking forward to because majority of the movies shown are indie (or at least close to) films. But because of scheduling conflicts I only got to watch one movie. I have Pinay Beauty and Signal Rock on my list but I only got to watch Ang Babaeng Allergic sa Wifi. It’s the last day today. Oh well, I'll just wait for the first two when it reaches my convenience store (or when it plays for free on TV).

Ang Babaeng Allergic sa Wifi (The girl who's allergic to Wifi)- I've kept my eye on Director Jun Robles Lana after I've seen Die Beautiful. And I think after watching this, I think I was not wrong. He has talent and potential. Don't be deceived by that, though. By no means shall I praise the entire film because it is conveniently just plain cheesy, but what I mean is Lana knows how to please his viewers. He knows how to put a scene, and shoot it well.

The story is about a high school student named Norma whose life, like everybody else these days, revolves on social media. She develops physical manifestations of an illness that science can't define. Its called EMS (or something, I forgot). Its symptoms pop up when we’re in a no-internet zone. (I wish on my next visit the doctor will reveal that there was a mistake and this is my real illness after all). Sounds promising right? I wish it was a comedy or a satire. Too bad the film was a “serious” one. And by serious I mean there’s a love story that made my mind wander and think of the other PPP entries instead.

Norma’s “illness” baffles her doctor and her family. Nothing physiological is wrong with her. Until she realizes that her symptoms appear when she’s in the comfort room of the school, which is a dead spot. Her mom decides to send her to the province where there’s no internet. She struggles to live a laid-back life, away from any gadget. Her main struggle is keeping her relationship with her boyfriend, Leo. She has a bestfriend, Aries, who is the brother of Leo. Aries is secretly in love with Norma and he helps her with everything while Leo is afar. Who will win? The one who has been there all along, or your “official” lover? Okay time to sleep.

Anyway, I think the love story ate too much of the movie that I lost it. Their story is quite seriously portrayed (hey are we to choose between our brother or our girlfriend??), trust and honesty issues man---for high school students!!!! Try harder. Lana should’ve stuck with the “millenials problem” story arc and left the serious love story to the adult demography.

Only two points I think was the strength: the girl bestfriend who was just so cute! She’s small so she wears boots to increase her height. She looks like a woman child, she has a pixy haircut, talks and walks like a boy but wears heavy make-up. And she’s your cruel bestfriend who will hit you with the honest truth and I wish Aries just ended up with her rather than letting me watch that Oh-it-hurts-to-fall-in-love-with-your-brother’s-girlfriend sht.

The second strength of the film is the well-written confession lines of Aries. The one seated below me cried. While I admit my tearducts were sleeping the entire time, I think I felt some pinch in the heart when I heard his confession which was recorded on a tape recorder.

There’s an unexpected turn of events here that was quite above average but sadly failed to redeem my overall impression of the film. I can’t attribute any reason for the PG-13 rating except for the one or two times p*tang ina (son of a female dog) was used but other than that, nothing is really “disturbing” here.

Not recommended.

plsletitrain

What's the word on the street re: this Khavn dude? I've yet to watch that flick @clayton-12 recommended I watch: Ruined Heart. And but now this more recent one, Alipato: The Very Brief Life of an Ember, is getting some whack reviews. What say you, my Philippine cinema loving friends?
I have only seen Ruined Heart so I may not be qualified to give a comprehensive take on him but I would like to file him under our "ridiculous and crazy, he's interesting" directors. I actually thought Ruined Heart was funny it tested my patience to the limits but I sucked it up because I was curious about him. He hasn't penetrated on mainstream audience so his films never gets shown in the theaters here (unless you're one of the lucky ones who get free passes to select screenings of these films) *insert sentimental background while I do self-pity*.

I can't be sure if he's for you but I'm leaning towards not. Ruined Heart was a pantomime which may suit you, but its filled with physical movements too. Erotic and sensual to be exact. (Was that saliva or semen on her cheeks while she was making that orgasmic face?). My For-Teletubbies-Only eyes was treated to a montage of erotic and mind -bending scenes (I almost reached out for the nearest rosary Jeebus). So many face-palm worthy scenes but in the end I think I can see Khavn's artistic/poetic side.

I have Balangiga and Alipato on my watchlist too. I'll keep an eye on those.

clayton-12

that flick @clayton-12 recommended I watch: Ruined Heart.
Oh dear, did I really do that? It’s the kind of the thing I’d have reservations about recommending, so if I went beyond “I personally liked it”, forgive me.

I really don’t have enough reference points for Khavn to be giving much of a qualified opinion – I suspect that the first paragraph of this review might hit the nail on the head. The music was the lynchpin to Ruined Heart. I’ve heard Mondomanila being spoken of highly, but have never seen it available anywhere. I watched the first 15 to 20 minutes of Squatterpunk and always meant to go back to it – it struck me as kind of like an amphetamine-fuelled Lav Diaz in some ways.

The only other film I’ve watched in whole was Son of God, which was jointly made with Danish director Michael Noer. It chronicled Noer’s effort making a documentary about a dwarf who claims to be the Son of God returned to earth, and gets about in ridiculous robes and blonde wig, supposedly miraculously curing all manner of sickness in his desperate but devoted flock.
It was about 20 minutes in that there was a scene that was so fake and contrived that I suddenly realised I wasn’t actually watching a real documentary.
I’m not really sure whether the whole thing failed by being a mix of things that worked on screen and things that didn’t, or whether the things that didn’t work exposed the folly of my faith in the things that did, and that was the whole point. But as a whole, it got a score of “errrm ... nah, not really” from me.

sitenoise

Oh dear, did I really do that? It’s the kind of the thing I’d have reservations about recommending, so if I went beyond “I personally liked it”, forgive me.
I may have taken “I personally liked it” as good enough to feel recommended. Maybe it was @plsletitrain who encouraged me, thinking "it tested my patience" was "It's a sitenoise movie" :emoji_astonished:

Anyway, when Ruined Heart was making the rounds, I recall the buzz being reasonable for an 'out there' kind of non-mainstream film. I'm just noticing a little more buzz on Alipato, and it's all kind of "you've never seen anything like this". So I'm curious.

I may try Ruined Heart first