Review Planet of Giants (1964)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
maxresdefault.jpg

Your thoughts and views on this story.....

When the TARDIS malfunctions and the doors open in the time vortex, the travelers and their Ship shrink to the size of insects. When they arrive on Earth, they uncover a murderous plot involving a new insecticide - but how can they stop the crime in their miniaturized condition? (Originally broadcast in three parts.)

On to the next story.....

THE DALEK INVASION OF EARTH

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-dalek-invasion-of-earth-1964.3308/

Back to the last story......

THE REIGN OF TERROR

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-reign-of-terror-1964.2334/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I think mainly a lot of chatting was lost between characters, mostly between a telephone receptionist and her husband. It was all reconstructed for the dvd as a branching option...

PLANET OF GIANTS.jpeg

They tried to claim in a making of that quality stuff was cut and that the receptionist/husband stuff was comedy gold, but I couldn't see it myself. I think the reconstruction only proved that the right choice was made.

Doctor Omega

Just a bit dull, i.m.o.

The designers deserve kudos for what they achieved with the sets, dead insects etc.

But I am glad that they abandoned the plan to have it as the first ever adventure in the series.

Even cavemen droning on and getting aggressively excited about fire was preferable to this. :emoji_confused:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Just a bit dull, i.m.o.
Yes it all felt a bit pointless in the end. I'm glad they cut it down to three episodes from the original four. Otherwise it would have dragged on interminably. The idea was interesting and (surprisingly) the sets and effects worked really well. It just wasn't a great story. I'm rather surprised that the show hasn't tried to do a similar thing since (other than some really hokey scenes in The Invisible Enemy and the new series episode Into the Dalek). But neither of those had the characters interacting with the real world.