Carol

Member: Rank 5
I read that Spicey hid in the bushes and would only come out to answer questions under cover of darkness yesterday... They are lurking amongst us, pretending to be real people... (1) be afraid (2) bag copyright to title The Walking GOPS.

Last edited:

Carol

Member: Rank 5
@mustang2006
That's right - sorry it took me a while to figure out what IDK meant. - the world's first andlongest lasting National Health Service: we all pay for it through taxes and it's free to all citizens at the point of use. Of course it's under strain since successive Tory governments, starting with Thatcher, tried to undermine and underfund it. But it staggers on, getting the job done. It bewilders me that so many Americans seem opposed to having the same system on some sort of principle - it clearly WORKS!

duzit

Member: Rank 6
@Carol

If our dumb politicians would quit trying to beat each other up and start thinking about what's best for the people of the country, I see no reason why our country cannot provide good quality Healthcare for every last legal citizen in the country. I'm not a very political person, so please no arguments started with me. This is just my view of the situation◆◆◆:emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
@mustang2006
That's right - sorry it took me a while to figure out what IDK meant. - the world's first andlongest lasting National Health Service: we all pay for it through taxes and it's free to all citizens at the point of use. Of course it's under strain since successive Tory governments, starting with Thatcher, tried to undermine and underfund it. But it staggers on, getting the job done. It bewilders me that so many Americans seem opposed to having the same system on some sort of principle - it clearly WORKS!
The problem is, the people in our country think of taxation merely as theft, and refuse to see their money used to help anyone other than themselves. There is an honest fear that somehow they will be forced into communism if we go to universal health care.

Which is ironic. They claim to be Christians, and helping everyone out would be *gasp* the Christian thing to do!

More irony. It takes an atheist to point this out.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
http://abcnews.go.com/US/photos/remembering-jfk-jr-15-years-death-24555958/image-24556204

On This Day: John F. Kennedy Jr. dies in plane crash
In 1999, John F. Kennedy Jr., his wife, Carolyn Bessette Kennedy, and her sister, Lauren Bessette, were killed in the crash of a single-engine plane in the Atlantic Ocean.

15 years ago July 16, JFK jr crashed his plane.

Makes you wonder what would the world of politics be like if he was still around?

Where would he be today?

President? Vice President?

Last edited:

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
I still agree with the government regulating some things. I do believe it does go a little over board, and does need a over hauling on some stuff like drug sentencing on marijuana at times. I don't agree with state to state regulating heroin use since that stuff needs to be gotten rid of badly like most addicting street drugs. Have you heard in Ohio cops are going with a 3 strikes you're out approach on overdoses of heroin? I'm torn on the government, and personal habits on drugs. On the whole prostitution bit my feelings if it is done up like in NV where they have a location where's it legal ok. Plus, this also goes testing, safe sex, etc. I did agree with prostitution being related to drug addiction. Ever agreed with him saying government can't protect individuals from themselves.

What's your feelings on this Mustang?

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
http://abcnews.go.com/US/photos/remembering-jfk-jr-15-years-death-24555958/image-24556204

On This Day: John F. Kennedy Jr. dies in plane crash
In 1999, John F. Kennedy Jr., his wife, Carolyn Bessette Kennedy, and her sister, Lauren Bessette, were killed in the crash of a single-engine plane in the Atlantic Ocean.

15 years ago July 16, JFK jr crashed his plane.

Makes you wonder what would the world of politics be like if he was still around?

Where would he be today?

President? Vice President?
Or perhaps he would be in the Arlington National Cemetery, with his father and uncle.

The world of politics has not always been kind to the Kennedy family.

mustang2006

Member: Rank 2
It's a tough question. But like booze, drug use ought to be less criminalized. But restricted in various ways. I really don't know how. Prostitution is legal in Australia and it doesn't create problems.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...t-unesco-amid-palestinian-tensions/757117001/
U.S. to pull out of UNESCO over concerns of 'anti-Israel bias'

The Trump administration said Thursday it is pulling out of UNESCO, citing concerns of an "anti-Israel bias" and other problems at the United Nations cultural organization.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Israel also plans to withdraw from the agency.

The U.S. withdrawal will take place at the end of next year, the State Department said in a statement.

"This decision was not taken lightly, and reflects U.S. concerns with mounting arrears at UNESCO, the need for fundamental reform in the organization, and continuing anti-Israel bias at UNESCO," the statement said.

The State Department planned to "remain engaged" with the U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization as a non-member observer state.

The withdrawal is mostly symbolic, since it cut off funding to the organization under the Obama administration and the bills keep piling up.

The U.S. stopped funding UNESCO after it voted to include Palestine as a member in 2011.

The Reagan administration withdrew from the organization in 1984, but President George W. Bush brought the United States back into the group in 2002.

STORY FROM USA TODAY NETWORK SHOP
Are you considering getting your MBA?

The move highlights the Trump administration's skepticism of the United Nations. U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley has been critical of the world body.

One of UNESCO's core missions is the World Heritage program, which protects historic and cultural sites. It also runs a number of educational programs.

Irina Bokova, the director general of UNESCO, said it was "regrettable" that the United States has decided to withdraw from the organization.

"At the time when conflicts continue to tear apart societies across the world, it is deeply regrettable for the United States to withdraw from the United Nations agency promoting education for peace and protecting culture under attack," she said.

Netanyahu said Israel plans to follow the U.S. and withdraw from the agency, saying it had become a “theater of the absu

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
http://thehill.com/policy/technolog...ampaign-used-pokemon-go-to-meddle-in-election

Russian-linked campaign used Pokémon Go to meddle in election

The mobile game app Pokémon Go was reportedly used by a Russian-linked campaign to meddle in U.S. politics.

CNN reported that a Russian-linked campaign called "Don't Shoot Us," likely run by Moscow-linked "troll farm" Internet Research Agency (IRA), used Pokémon Go — among several other mediums including Facebook and Twitter — and posed as a part of the Black Lives Matter movement.

he Moscow-linked actors appear to be the source of the campaign that had a goal to raise racial tensions by bringing up incidents of police brutality.

The campaign posted on its Tumblr page to urge users to play Pokémon Go as part of a contest. It encouraged users to find Pokémon in places where police brutality had happened and then to rename their Pokémon after the victims.

"It's clear from the images shared with us by CNN that our game assets were appropriated and misused in promotions by third parties without our permission," Niantic, the makers of Pokémon Go, said in a statement provided to CNN.

"It is important to note that Pokémon GO, as a platform, was not and cannot be used to share information between users in the app so our platform was in no way being used. This 'contest' required people to take screen shots from their phone and share over other social networks, not within our game. Niantic will consider our response as we learn more," the company said.

The account's Facebook page was removed from the site, according to CNN, after it was found to have been linked to the IRA. The Instagram and Twitter account of the campaign have also been suspended, but the group's YouTube channel and website remain active.

The news comes after a report Wednesday said the House Intelligence Committee plans to release the Facebook ads purchased by Russian groups during the 2016 presidential election.

Facebook recently revealed Moscow purchased online ads that specifically targeted swing states such as Michigan and Wisconsin as well as particular demographic groups to influence the presidential race.

Pinterest was another social media platform revealed to have been used to spread Russia-linked political posts during the election, it acknowledged this week.
The Moscow-linked actors appear to be the source of the campaign that had a goal to raise racial tensions by bringing up incidents of police brutality.

The campaign posted on its Tumblr page to urge users to play Pokémon Go as part of a contest. It encouraged users to find Pokémon in places where police brutality had happened and then to rename their Pokémon after the victims.

"It's clear from the images shared with us by CNN that our game assets were appropriated and misused in promotions by third parties without our permission," Niantic, the makers of Pokémon Go, said in a statement provided to CNN.

"It is important to note that Pokémon GO, as a platform, was not and cannot be used to share information between users in the app so our platform was in no way being used. This 'contest' required people to take screen shots from their phone and share over other social networks, not within our game. Niantic will consider our response as we learn more," the company said.

The account's Facebook page was removed from the site, according to CNN, after it was found to have been linked to the IRA. The Instagram and Twitter account of the campaign have also been suspended, but the group's YouTube channel and website remain active.

The news comes after a report Wednesday said the House Intelligence Committee plans to release the Facebook ads purchased by Russian groups during the 2016 presidential election.

Facebook recently revealed Moscow purchased online ads that specifically targeted swing states such as Michigan and Wisconsin as well as particular demographic groups to influence the presidential race.

Pinterest was another social media platform revealed to have been used to spread Russia-linked political posts during the election, it acknowledged this week.

chainsaw_metal1

Well, we not only have the technology for the government to spy on us via webcams, it's been done by hackers, and I'm certain the government has done their share. Plus, the modern text speak is reminiscent of Newspeak from the book, and an authoritarian figurehead trying to seize control of the government? Hmmmm....who does that sound like?

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...oyees-from-using-personal-cell-phones-at-work

White House barring employees from using personal cellphones at work

The White House is going to start barring employees from using their personal cellphones at work, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said early Thursday.

Sanders said in a statement that the "security and integrity of the technology systems at the White House is a top priority for the Trump administration."

Therefore, she said, the use of "all personal devices for both guests and staff will no longer be allowed in the West Wing."

"Staff will be able to conduct business on their government-issued devices and continue working on behalf of the American people," she added.
The change means aides in the Trump administration won't be permitted to use their personal cellphones on the White House campus.

The new rule is reportedly being imposed by chief of staff John Kelly, according to the news outlet.

Some aides say that the rule will make it difficult for them to keep in contact with their families, Bloomberg added. The phones provided by the White House reportedly don't allow texting, adding to staffers' complaints.

President Trump has often talked about leaks of information since he assumed office — which have bedeviled the Trump administration from the start.

Author Michael Wolff has tapes of interviews with former White House chief strategist Stephen Bannon and former White House deputy chief of staff Katie Walsh that were used in his explosive new book, according to Axios.

The news outlet reported that Wolff spent hours in the West Wing early in Trump’s presidency.

Trump dramatically split with Bannon on Wednesday after excerpts of Wolff's book including Bannon's comments were released.

A report surfaced in November that the White House was weighing the ban on personal cellphones.

Employees are already required to leave their phones in cubbies when attending meetings that involve sensitive or classified information.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/cnn-jake-tapper-cuts-off-stephen-miller-waste-of-time
CNN’s Tapper Cuts Off WH Aide: ‘I’ve Wasted Enough Of My Viewers’ Time’

CNN host Jake Tapper on Sunday ended an interview with White House aide Stephen Miller after Miller dodged Tapper’s questions about the White House’s irate response to Michael Wolff’s book “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House.”

Miller on CNN’s “State of the Union” said former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, who Wolff quoted criticizing Donald Trump Jr. for meeting with a Russian lawyer in June 2016, was “vindictive” and “out of touch with reality.”

Miller also called Bannon’s comments “grotesque” and defended President Donald Trump’s claim that he is a “genius.”

“Which happens to be a true statement,” Miller said.

“And I’m sure he’s watching and he’s happy that you said that,” Tapper replied.

“Jake, you can be — no, no. You can be condescending,” Miller shot back.

“I’m not being condescending. I’m trying to get to the point that Steve Bannon—” Tapper said, before Miller interrupted.

“That was a snide remark,” he said.

“Why is that snide?” Tapper remarked, as Miller continued to speak over him.

“You get 24 hours of negative anti-Trump hysterical coverage on this network,” Miller said.

“I think the viewers right now can ascertain who is being hysterical,” Tapper replied.

Miller ducked Tapper’s other questions about Trump’s recent tweets, Bannon’s influence on Trump’s presidency and policy and a New York Times report in September 2017 that Miller in May helped compose a list of reasons to fire James Comey as director of the FBI.

“I get it. There’s one viewer that you care about right now and you’re being obsequious, you’re being a factotum in order to please him, okay?” Tapper finally interjected. “And I think I’ve wasted enough of my viewers’ time.”

He then ended the interview as Miller continued to try to speak over him.

chainsaw_metal1

I've watched the interview several times today, and Miller absolutely deserved getting cut off. He wasn't there to actually answer questions, he just came on to try to spin the story to fit the "president's" narrative. He was the one who got belligerent, and started attacking Tapper and basically acting mentally unstable. I hope this administration goes down in flames.