Fun Rubbish Acting in New Who!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Doctor Omega, Apr 6, 2017.

1. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm impressed... How could you tell she had bad breath?

I thought the technical breakthrough that will bring us smellovision was still years away...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gavin

Gavin Member: Rank 6
    VIP

Couldn't have been more over the top if they'd used Miranda Richardson's performance from Black-Adder II for the queen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Janine The Barefoot

Janine The Barefoot Wacky Norwegian Woman

DT told her just before the confusion about which/who was the real Queen. I don't think it's a comment you just toss off if there's not some truth to it.....

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

I just thought he was just trying to bait the Zygon into revealing himself or herself - or perhaps itself...

• Like Like x 1
  5. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Actually, upon reflection, I remember watching a documentary about Elizabeth I a while back. If memory serves, she had quite the sweet tooth, which resulted in her not having too many healthy teeth left by the time she reached late middle age. This also led to her having bad breath which she attempted to mask with perfume and some other similar olfactory agent.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Janine The Barefoot

Janine The Barefoot Wacky Norwegian Woman

At last! The real truth behind her "Virgin Queen" status!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: Gee... do you give dancing bunnies for bead breath? Yeah, what the heck....:emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers: keeping it to a minimum!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

I think that the biggest failing of new Who is when actors of today are trying to play tough military troopers, be they Roman Centurions, U.N.I.T. troops or the everyday soldiers of an alien fighting force.

Or even "tough" miners....

600px-DoctorWho2005-S07E01-AndrozaniRifle-1.jpg

They always come across to me as if they would rather be at home, watching that Game of Thrones episode that they haven't got around to watching yet.

Or that they are thinking of that dental appointment tomorrow.

Or taking the car in to get it washed.

Flat or emotionless delivery of their "tough" lines doesn't help matters, but I think that this regularly used stock character is the biggest Achilles Heel of Modern Who, performance wise. :emoji_alien:

Maybe many modern actors just don't have it in them to act convincingly tough? :emoji_confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
    #27 Doctor Omega, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  8. apostasia

apostasia Member: Rank 1

Yeah, the comedians haven't really delivered, although I think it's fair to say not many were assisted by being given decent parts. Bill Bailey, Peter Kay, Lee wotsit in Planet of the Dead, and Alexander Armstrong were all pretty awful, Claire Skinner just about gets a pass, and Frank Skinner is the best of them, but still pulls me out of an otherwise great episode.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator