Fun Spider Forest (Geomi sup): re-visit; re-think; re-spond

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
So in your version, hero-Min shows up at the closed up/locked photo store and pulls a key out of his pocket--and the movie explains that how?
I don't recall a key being shown specifically at that point - he sees the dead flowers from outside, and enters in, but I can't remember the door being explicitly locked before he entered. Maybe it was there and it didn't register, but I think the impression I had at the time of watching was that Su-in had given him access.

the version I have (starts with the Universal Pictures spinning earth logo, no Tartan).
Mine is a domestic (Korean) release DVD - it clocks in at 112 mins (no pun intended).

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
I don't recall a key being shown specifically at that point - he sees the dead flowers from outside, and enters in, but I can't remember the door being explicitly locked before he entered. Maybe it was there and it didn't register, but I think the impression I had at the time of watching was that Su-in had given him access.
There's no key play here. I went back. They show Su-in looking out from the photo store; cut to Min coming up the highway in a cab (makes no sense continuity-wise, but let's call it a metaphorical looking out from the photo store); cut to showing Min walking up to the store--this shot is from the roof of the single story photo shop; cut to a Min head shot with sound of him sliding open a door or window; cut to a shot of the flowers from inside (not through any window) where Min walks into the frame. It did come off like Su-in let, or allowed, or unlocked the door, and he got in. But honestly it didn't occur to me that the store might have been locked. It was open before during the day and Min wouldn't have reason to believe otherwise AND neither would we. So there is no reason to think he should or would need a key (until we retroactively start trying to put things together huh1.gif

sitenoise

YesAsia has the UK all region out of print disc with a 120 mins runtime, and the Korean disc at 112 mins. The US version doesn't say.

divemaster13

There's no key play here. I went back. They show Su-in looking out from the photo store; cut to Min coming up the highway in a cab (makes no sense continuity-wise, but let's call it a metaphorical looking out from the photo store); cut to showing Min walking up to the store--this shot is from the roof of the single story photo shop; [Min walks up to padlocked door, all perplexed, and then has a "huh? what's this?" moment as he pulls the blue key out of his pocket, which unlocks the padlock] cut to a Min head shot with sound of him sliding open a door or window; cut to a shot of the flowers from inside (not through any window) where Min walks into the frame.
my addition in bold.

But honestly it didn't occur to me that the store might have been locked. It was open before during the day and Min wouldn't have reason to believe otherwise AND neither would we. So there is no reason to think he should or would need a key (until you retroactively start trying to put things together
This is true at first, but once you see that a good amount of time has passed (dead flowers, missing photos, dust everywhere), the fact that he was able to let himself in seems to be an important factor.

plsletitrain

@sitenoise

My version is from the highly legitimate and legal putlocker. It did show the key-giving-scene and the apple chomping scene. And to add even more confusion to everyone, I'm not so sure but the key wasn't specifically the key to the store, it was I think the key to the cabin. :emoji_bear:

sitenoise

This is true at first, but once you see that a good amount of time has passed (dead flowers, missing photos, dust everywhere), the fact that he was able to let himself in seems to be an important factor.
It didn't come up for me. I didn't see the old man give him the key, though. Min getting in or being in the shop seemed natural and at Min-in's doing. No key needed.

There's the cop scene where detective #2 tells cop friend that the store wasn't owned by Eu-in but it was Min-in who inherited it. That scene didn't make sense to me because nothing else touched it. So what we have here is a major clusterbunching of the panties.

divemaster13

A couple of other things I wanted to bring up/respond to: For one thing, I did not notice that the same actress was playing the dead wife AND Su-in. Thanks for pointing that out! I'm not sure what to make of that. Su-in is a manifestation of the little girl, who is trying (via stories and ski-lifts and visits to the forest with Min, etc.) to get him to remember her, to free her spirit, right? Photo-girl Min has no connection to hero-Min's plane-crashed wife as far as I can tell. Hero-Min does not need help remembering his wife. So I'm not sure wat (if any) significance there is in the dual role.

plsletitrain

Why the big show of the watch at 4:00? I assume, but didn't see, that when he dies (not) on the operating table they would pronounce him dead at 4:00, but I didn't see that. (I read somewhere that the director intentionally removed scenes that would have "explained" things).

Now I get really confused:

When is Min hanging out with Su-in? I assumed she was his "guiding light" for the fourteen days he was in a coma, leading him to understand what he had done and that he had died. But But But, he's with her before he does the killings. And he's not bandaged up. I know there's an explanation for this but it's the part that befuddles me.
I think the significance of the 4:00 time is that its the same time that Eu-in's plane crashed.

As to the question of when's Min hanging out with Su-in, it was before the accident/hacking incident. Remember his boss tasked him to make an investigative documentary of the forest, Su-in was his resource person. That's why he looked normal during their convos, without the bandages and all that.

Last edited:

sitenoise

Su-in is a manifestation of the little girl, who is trying ... to get him to remember her, to free her spirit, right?
That's my take.

Both Jung Suh roles are dead people.
Photo-girl Min has no connection to hero-Min's plane-crashed wife as far as I can tell.
True, I think. But it seems like a suggestion that one and the same spider spirit is inhabiting both of them. It seemed significant to me that Hero-Min didn't recognize his wife--but none of you guys did either lolsideshake.gif It's one of those things that like all the 4:00 stuff that screams significance but remains a mystery.

plsletitrain

In answer to my two big questions: "Who is the guy on the phone who sent him the roll of film and tipped him off about his girlfriend? And Who clubbed him in the face?" The first answer is it's obviously just Min talking to himself. The guy says he knows him and he will meet him soon. And Su-in says pretty much the same thing about the guy Min must meet in order to wrap things up as she sends him into the cave.*** But then how/why/when did Min mail himself the roll of film?

The second answer is that Min wasn't clubbed. He just fell down and hit his head--the same way he did when he was a kid running from young Su-in's dad. The shot of little min lying there with his red scarf on is exactly the same shot as old Min lying there, except no scarf and no rock nearby (and but why does the bad guy look at Min's ID? hmmm). Something fishy there.
I'm open to the idea that it was Kang Min tipping himself over the affair..but the clubbing scene, that couldn't just be a dream or a shadow of no one. He had big wounds necessary for a surgery, how can we explain that if he wasn't clubbed and merely tripped?

sitenoise

@sitenoise
You sure scored a big goal with your discovery of the dual roles. I still can't get over it. How did you find out?
I was really into Jung Suh at the time. Her face was etched in my mind from The Isle. But honestly, I don't remember if I knew it ahead of time or just noticed it while watching. It is documented at Asian Wiki. I may have seen that before watching it. But the weird thing is that I think I remember thinking the first time I watched it that Soo-young and Eu-ah were the same person. I (sort of) distinctly remember during the kitchen scene Eu-ah's face morphing into Soo-young's. Like they did at the end with Su-in's and Soo-young's.

sitenoise

I'm open to the idea that it was Kang Min tipping himself over the affair..but the clubbing scene, that couldn't just be a dream or a shadow of no one. He had big wounds necessary for a surgery, how can we explain that if he wasn't clubbed and merely tripped?
I took it that the big wounds for surgery were from being hit by the car. So I can deal with the clubbing scene--even though I agree with you that actually putting hands on himself is asking too much--but I can't reconcile him mailing the roll of film to himself.

sitenoise

As to the question of when's Min hanging out with Su-in, it was before the accident/hacking incident. Remember his boss tasked him to make an investigative documentary of the forest, Su-in was his resource person. That's why he looked normal during their convos, without the bandages and all that.
that seems correct, and obvious now that you point it out, but I was sort of wrapped up in the idea that Su-in, who is dead, was only able to interact with Min after he died, although it remains unclear when Min actually died. In the tunnel at 4:00 when he got hit by a car, or some few weeks later after two weeks in a coma followed by limping around here and there for a while and finally witnessing his own death.

divemaster13

So the million dollar question and my biggest confusion is this: who was the mysterious guy/killer he was chasing—during the first few minutes of the film-- and hacked him? I get that it was “him” all along watching himself and how he is the responsible person for the deaths. Like sort of a time travel, or maybe a thought bubble in motion, but it can’t be a Kang Min vs. Kang Min encounter because that would be too absurd, how can that be possible. He can see himself from afar, yes, but to actually lay hand on his person is another story. Or the person who inflicted his wounds was his police friend? Or maybe that person was the mysterious caller who tipped him of his lover’s affair?
When is Min hanging out with Su-in? I assumed she was his "guiding light" for the fourteen days he was in a coma, leading him to understand what he had done and that he had died. But But But, he's with her before he does the killings. And he's not bandaged up. I know there's an explanation for this but it's the part that befuddles me.
I don't have any confident answers. No matter how you slice it, there are continuity problems, both in the time loops and in the mysterious figures. I personally believe that all the guys in the forest watching each other are "Min." The guy calling and sending film is Min. Since, apparently, most if not all of this is his mind playing out guilt scenarios during 14 days of coma (after, apparently, hacking his boss and girlfriend up) the fact that "observer/follower" Min somehow lost his bandages seems like a forgivable mental discontinuity.

I, too, entertained the thought that Min was dead and that Su-in was his guiding angel. (Jacob's Ladder?) The ER scene could be re-interpreted that he died. And when Su-in was telling him the story of the spiders, she specifically said "they don't know they are dead" b/c their memories disappear. (Sixth Sense?). And add a blue(ish) key that surprisingly turns up to a befuddled holder... (Mulholland Dr.?)

But I'm not happy with that interpretation, as at least some of the timeline and discussions with his cop friend had to be grounded in real-time; real-life, right? I can get on board with "mind coming to grips with horror and guilt during coma," though.

Interestingly, the movie that Spider Forest quite reminds me of, somewhat, is Angel Heart.

Last edited:

clayton-12

There's the cop scene where detective #2 tells cop friend that the store wasn't owned by Eu-in but it was Min-in who inherited it. That scene didn't make sense to me because nothing else touched it.
Didn’t the schoolteacher also recall how Min’s father opened a photo store, after he (the father) left the teaching profession but before they packed up and finally left town? Yet Su-in said that the photos on the wall were taken by her father, and that she had inherited the store from him.

Su-in is a manifestation of the little girl, who is trying (via stories and ski-lifts and visits to the forest with Min, etc.) to get him to remember her, to free her spirit, right?
Completely agree – this much is clear.

Hero-Min does not need help remembering his wife.
Not so sure of this. When Min returns home from the hospital for the first time, there are two photos on the wall – one in silhouette, and the other turned to face the wall. He turns the hidden photo over to reveal a black-and-white portrait of the wife, and places the colour photo next to it. At the time, it struck me as a little odd that the one photo was turned to face the wall, as if he was trying to block out whoever it was (I don’t think it had yet been revealed to be the wife).
Could it be that, in his grief, Min was trying to block out the memory of his wife, like he had done so many years ago with the memory of his friend Su-in?

clayton-12

No matter how you slice it, there are continuity problems, both time loops and in the mysterious figures ... The ER scene could be re-interpreted that he died.
Didn't they play the ER scene twice, with slightly different events unfolding, in that the second time around, the doctors gave up on their resuscitation efforts but Min came back from the brink of his own accord?
With all the layering of memory and alternative narratives, I think one will never uncover what "happened" in a conventional sense.

Interestingly, the movie that Spider Forest quite reminds me of, somewhat, is Angel Heart.
Good call - I thought of The Machinist. But both those films moved to a conclusion that tied everything up in a bow.