Fun Spider Forest (Geomi sup): re-visit; re-think; re-spond

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
I wonder if we could make that (I forgot his username) thread in the Tale of Two Sisters board on IMDb where every scene was explained thoroughly, including minute details that were convincingly explained. It takes a lot of effort. But how to start when we couldn't even convincingly answer who hacked him.

sitenoise

With a red clown-nose, no less.
As I alluded to in a previous post, the meaning of the scene finally hit me.
Jung Suh is so cute. I believe you are correct about what she's doing there with the Adam and Eve thing.

In terms of the elliptical nature of Min Dying and Living, at the end after the EKG goes flat, there is a cut of Su-in sitting next to Min's Hospital bed, reaching to and then holding Min's hand. Then the EKG comes alive. The power of Su-in! (who incidentally, reminded me a lot of the forest girl in The Wailing)

plsletitrain

I think what I watched was the UK disc
Then the EKG comes alive. The power of Su-in! (who incidentally, reminded me a lot of the forest girl in The Wailing)
So do we need to re-visit whether he's dead or alive? :emoji_blush: One reason why I think he really is alive is the end scene where the child patient held her hand and pointed to him (although it can be argued that so many things can be said about holding one's hand in the air and just pointing to the air).

sitenoise

I wonder if we could make that (I forgot his username) thread in the Tale of Two Sisters board on IMDb where every scene was explained thoroughly, including minute details that were convincingly explained. It takes a lot of effort. But how to start when we couldn't even convincingly answer who hacked him.
lol We can't do something like that guy did. That was amazing. You're right, we don't even know if Min is alive or dead. I might assemble something and post it for the ages. I'm surprised there is nothing I can find on the Internets that actually tries to tackle this complex film. A lot of people just say it doesn't make sense and drop it. I did read an interview with the director who says:
Song Il-gon: I started to write about one man’s real story: how he killed two people, how he grew up, what happened with his wife, what he saw when he was young, his first girlfriend. The second story is when he wakes up. It’s another story, about how he desires and how he wants to be. It’s like his dream. Desire changes the reality … into the unreal. That’s why I had the idea to write two stories about this character. And then I started to mix what was real and what was his dream, what he really wants. I started to make it a mystery as well. But we have to know about his unconscious, that’s why I had to transfer or take out the real facts and start to re-mix the stories. And that’s why it took so long to write the script. It was a painful time for me.
and
Until Spider Forest, I was like the main character [Kang Min]. I was in the tunnel [where Kang Min ultimately sees himself die], a long and very painful tunnel.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
When cops are with old school teacher there is a cut to Min going up the ski lift. In the long version there is a shot of the old man from the hospital going down, which isn't in the short version.
I kind of wondered about whether that scene was in the shortened version, but thought I must have just overlooked them. It puzzled me as to whether he was the same old man as was in Min's hospital room (as opposed to an old man who had been in a hospital), but I was "sure" that he was one of the old geezers in the photos on the wall.

I wonder if we could make that (I forgot his username) thread in the Tale of Two Sisters board on IMDb where every scene was explained thoroughly, including minute details that were convincingly explained.
I think that one can never achieve that - the nature of this film just doesn't lend itself to a literal or definitive explanation of what is real and what is not. The debate to be had is around the meaning of what is shown.

I was going to post a link to the Senses of Cinema interview, but @sitenoise beat me to the punch. Interestingly, the quote he highlights is in parenthesis - which makes me wonder if that is Song Il-gon's or James Brown's explanation of the film. Even the damn interview is opaque!

sitenoise

makes me wonder if that is Song Il-gon's or James Brown's explanation of the film. Even the damn interview is opaque!
Yeah, I assume it is both ways: that Song's words were better translated by the Editor; and that Song didn't include that phrase at all, and the editor just added it. You're right "Even the damn interview is opaque!"

Something just occurred to me. I think I have been looking at the two versions as if stuff was cut from the original, but the Korean disc obviously came out first and Tartan got their bits after that, so that means stuff was added to the original.

This film really needs a definitive director's cut on BluRay. It is a gorgeous film that would look great in High Def. This is one of those flicks that made a lot more money (I assume) and got more reviews from foreign DVD sales than domestic.

I have no explanation for why some overly complicated movies put me off and others draw me in. This one definitely drew me in. I wrote off A Tale of Two Sisters as not worth the effort.

plsletitrain

It puzzled me as to whether he was the same old man as was in Min's hospital room (as opposed to an old man who had been in a hospital), but I was "sure" that he was one of the old geezers in the photos on the wall.
I thought that old man in the hospital was his dad as not much have been said of what happened to him later and why would he have the key to the store.

sitenoise

I thought that old man in the hospital was his dad as not much have been said of what happened to him later and why would he have the key to the store.
When I finally saw the scene of the old man give Min the key it felt like it was dad giving over the store to Min. And it seems like a very good illustration of the nature of the film. That scene didn't happen but that thing happened. And it happens before we know it as a thing that could happen.

clayton-12

Something just occurred to me. I think I have been looking at the two versions as if stuff was cut from the original, but the Korean disc obviously came out first and Tartan got their bits after that, so that means stuff was added to the original ... This is one of those flicks that made a lot more money (I assume) and got more reviews from foreign DVD sales than domestic.
My assumption always had been that the Tartan release had some scenes added. But the film didn't do at all well on its theatrical release in Korea, and fared better on the festival circuit - I'm guessing that for the domestic DVD release, the distributors tried to cut it down to improve the gore&sex to talking ratio, but the UK distributors were happy to leave the original version untouched.

divemaster13

The Tartan R1 DVD also has 4 or 5 deleted scenes presented in the bonus features, so someone made the distinction of what was "movie canon" and what was truly a scene to be left out. So I don;t think Tartan randomly grabbed a couple of scenes to toss in. The extra scenes we've been discussing seem to be very integral to the movie (or at least add layers and provoke thought), so I have to assume at some point the director liked them. Perhaps when the movie did not do well in Korea due to its "opacity" he said, basically, "Oh yeah? You want opacity? I'll give you opacity!" and cut these linking scenes from the Korean DVD.

I contemplated that as well, and it's likely a good assumption. But if so, the bookend of the little boy at the end would be--his son? (Well, he didn't have a son). So part of me thinks it's a representation of Min himself as an old man (giving the key to himself representing his mind trying to make a breakthrough to allow him to remember his ownership of the store, b/c he would have had the key himself the whole time, but would not of remembered it without this psychic assistance), and the boy is a representation of him as a child. Full circle. Also, to support this theory is the fact that Min did not seem to recognize the old man as Father. And we do have support all through the movie of Min not recognizing himself (in the forest, on the phone). But the "passing the torch" from father to son aspect that @sitenoise mentioned could very well be the intent of the scene, and was my initial assumption as well. Another aspect of this movie that we'll never suss out a definitive answer I don't think.

It puzzled me as to whether he [the old man on the ski lift] was the same old man as was in Min's hospital room (as opposed to an old man who had been in a hospital), but I was "sure" that he was one of the old geezers in the photos on the wall.
In my notes I jotted down "creepy old hospital dude on ski lift!" so it struck me the same way. And I mentioned back on p.1 that I was pretty sure the central photo on the photo wall was the same old man. His presence seems to be important to the film, so another reason it doesn't make sense that the key scene was cut.

clayton-12

The extra scenes we've been discussing seem to be very integral to the movie (or at least add layers and provoke thought), so I have to assume at some point the director liked them. Perhaps when the movie did not do well in Korea due to its "opacity" he said, basically, "Oh yeah? You want opacity? I'll give you opacity!" and cut these linking scenes from the Korean DVD.
It occurred to me that it seemed that in paring down the film, a lot of the cut scenes were interrelated, like they decided that the layer involving the old man could be removed. Except that they left in the scene connected to the young patient, the "lost one slipper" scenes. Then something hit me - after the funeral, when Min is looking at the camera, there's a pointed shot of him sitting there with one shoe missing.

A couple of other things that struck me on reviewing the film -

- after Min is returned to the hospital by the detective, he looks over and sees that the old man who gave him the key has died ... the nurse is covering his body with a sheet.
- in Min's first conversation with So-young, she's says something like "haven't we met before?" and asks if he remembers her
- in the restaurant, when asking So-young if she's got an answer to his marriage proposal, Min is still wearing his wedding ring

I'm sure there's dozens of other little details and curiosities in there just waiting discovered, none of which will solve the mysteries that the film holds!

divemaster13

I have no independent confirmation or source for that theory, but it makes sense to me. They appear to be polished scenes integrated with the film. Not the typical "NG" scenes you get in the bonus features. I actually watched those (the NG scenes) this week. Nothing that I see would clarify anything we've been discussing, although one scene shows Min and Su-young having a bit of a falling out.

sitenoise

in Min's first conversation with So-young, she's says something like "haven't we met before?" and asks if he remembers her
They met at the funeral. She ask him for a light.

I also noticed the one shoe missing scene ... like after the 5th time watching this thing .. and thought AHA! but then I didn't know what aha meant. Then I noticed we always see the dead Boss hog body with one shoeless foot sticking up.

The nurse tells the old man to get well so he can play with his grandson, and she tells the youngster (who I think is a boy, @plsletitrain thinks it's a girl) to get well so he can play with his mom.

sitenoise

I have no independent confirmation or source for that theory, but it makes sense to me. They appear to be polished scenes integrated with the film. Not the typical "NG" scenes you get in the bonus features. I actually watched those (the NG scenes) this week. Nothing that I see would clarify anything we've been discussing, although one scene shows Min and Su-young having a bit of a falling out.
My immediate reaction when I realized that the Tartan disc would have come out later was that they were indeed scenes that were "originally" in the film, in some iteration, but I hadn't thought they were shown theatrically. But now that you bring it up I think that's probably correct. I'm not motivated enough to go scour all the reviews to see if they were reviewing this or that or the theatrical. It would be only mildly worth it to know that someone reviewing the theatrical version mentions the Eu-ah apple eating scene.

divemaster13

But now that you bring it up I think that's probably correct. I'm not motivated enough to go scour all the reviews to see if they were reviewing this or that or the theatrical. It would be only mildly worth it to know that someone reviewing the theatrical version mentions the Eu-ah apple eating scene.
http://www.koreanfilm.org/kfilm04.html#spiderfor

Not sure why I didn't remember to tap into this valuable resource until now, but I checked the review on Darcy's site (a former "go to" for me for all films Korean)--and the apple scene is mentioned. The reviewer also brings up a couple of points we have not discussed. Food for thought.

sitenoise

Oh, I didn't recognise that woman as So-Young. So her father was also killed on the plane?
yes, I seem to recall another reference to her dad being killed on the plane, but there was at least a shot of her (with long hair and more unrecognizable) saying "have a nice trip, dad" right after Min sees Eu-ah off at the airport.