Fun Spider Forest (Geomi sup): re-visit; re-think; re-spond

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
its the queen of overacting. Is her acting here fine-tuned or one that will make my eyebrows skyrocket to the heavens again?
I really don't remember but I did blurb this after watching it about 10 years ago: "Meandering and uneventful, although Ji-hyun Jun isn't bad."

It's difficult to think of possible Japanese films. They don't try as hard to be complex. Japanese films are simple. And 'complexity' promotes discussion. (I think a problem of more recent Korean films is that they've made complexity the main goal, but I digress).

A couple non-K suggestions both of which received highest marks from me first time around.
China's Diary
Japan's Hanging Garden

plsletitrain

My vote goes to The Uninvited as I have heard good things about this and the synopsis sounds like its right up my alley (I'll try to endure Jun Ji-hyun). Let's wait for the others to pitch in their votes.

sitenoise

My vote goes to The Uninvited as I have heard good things about this and the synopsis sounds like its right up my alley (I'll try to endure Jun Ji-hyun). Let's wait for the others to pitch in their votes.
I know you like amnesia flicks. And this one seems like it might be arty and or have some depth. I don't hold My Sassy Girl against Gianna. It was terrible, she was terrible, but I've enjoyed her in a number of other films. In fact I was going to suggest another of hers:

Daisy

sitenoise

Your posted image is so adorable!
Do they have Beavis and Butthead in PI?

I'm not sure I could do Daisy again though because I've grown to dislike Pretty Boy what's his face that's in it. I did blurb back then though: "Woo-sung Jung plays the most lovely, sensitive, and attractive professional killer I've seen in a film. All three main characters are weirdly engrossing and beautiful."

Now I must atone for my sins.

plsletitrain

No we don't have it here (or I just didn't watch it). I just liked their faces, they seem so exhausted or drunk (or were they watching a sitenoise movie??? Kidding!!! Okay that's the last one. Promise).

Didn't you say Jung Woo-sung gets in line behind Ryan Gosling? Now I think you must be correct. He's fine (so far).

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
I like Ji-hyun Jun (duh, see my avatar), and thought My Sassy Girl was an "almost excellent" movie, but she has been in some stinkers. I thought The Uninvited was total crap. My notes: "Overly long, slow, and confusing story of anxious man with unresolved past issues who meets narcoleptic young woman with her own issues." I rated it 1 star. Daisy was better and enjoyable. Not super-great. 3 stars. Of interest, it was actually directed by the Chinese Andrew Lau. So, not technically a Korean movie.

But I'll play along and watch whatever, even if I didn't like it first go 'round. I can always add to the discussion regardless.

@plsletitrain, why don't you pick the next movie? And then maybe @clayton-12?

sitenoise

My notes: "Overly long, slow, and confusing story of anxious man with unresolved past issues who meets narcoleptic young woman with her own issues." I rated it 1 star.
That's what makes me think it a good candidate for a re-watch. "Meh" the first go round, but sufficient reason to think there might be something there.

There are films which are obviously, or unanimously thought of as junk. And then there are those which get written off by many as 'boring' but praised by others for some reason. I know there are a number of films I've watched and not liked that I'm sure had a lot to do with the particular mood and level of energy I had at the time.

I mentioned above I have a hard time thinking of a Japanese movie. And this has really brought to light for me that Korean films have a lot more intellectual complexity to them. And it's this complexity that makes for a good re-watch. I like the slow burn, sit there and do nothing Japanese films because I like hanging out with the characters for a while. Very few Korean film's characters strike me that way--that I don't care about the plot or whatever--and I just enjoy the character. A personally enlightening realization for me.

plsletitrain

Guyz, *blush* I'm not really so confident about my judgment in movies so I'm afraid, I'm uhm, uh...I lack the capability to suggest a thought-provoking movie. More so that the number of Asian movies I've seen pales in comparison to what you guys have achieved. Nonetheless, I'll take from @sitenoise's suggestion and go with THE UNINVITED. I'm getting the feeling I will like the film.

after Spider Forest, my little brain is still too worn out to choose.
Tell me about it! Maybe that's why I've been speaking gibberish in some of my posts they made no sense at all. My brain has probably reached its limit and said "I can't do this anymore" If my brain had feet it probably would've walked out while I'm trying to torture it seeking for answers on Spider Forest lol.

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
I went to Netflix to have them send me the DVD, and apparently it is not available at the moment. I really hate watching movies on my computer rather than using my home theater, but I do want to participate with y'all. I'm kindof hoping, like @sitenoise said, that a re-watch will strike me differently.

Can someone PM me a link to watch it? The only version on YouTube runs 66 minutes (!!) and lacks English subs. Otherwise, I'll just buy the DVD, but it'll probably take a week to arrive.

sitenoise

Hey, and we don't need to rush into the next one. No one should spend money to do this, nor engage in other activities they aren't comfortable with in terms of procurement. Our choice should include availability to every one. I assumed Gianna stuff would be widely available but I guess since this one didn't go over so well commercially, it's not. https://letterboxd.com/film/re-encounter/

I imagine @plsletitrain will have a link for streaming, which means watching it on your computer? I'm not seeing any links anywhere for an easy download.

@clayton-12 is THE UNINVITED something you have access to?

@divemaster13 I hook up my computer to my TV system via HDMI cable. Great A/V quality no muss no fuss. Is that an option for you? I'm okay watching on my computer but hooking up to a big screen is way better.

sitenoise

I know we kind of worked through Spider Forest to the bitter end, but I forgot to ask a question that has interested me since the beginning:

The house that Min does the killing in is the house Su-in grew up in, right?

plsletitrain

The house that Min does the killing in is the house Su-in grew up in, right?
Yes, that's the haunted cabin in the woods. That's why the sex scene between So-young and boss was reminiscent of the infidel sex affair of Su-in's mother. And the hacking of the father to the lovers was akin to the hacking done by Kang Min against So-young and boss.

And I also forgot to mention how not only the women in this film look similar, even Kang Min and buddy cop also look the same.