Review Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Elliot Thomas

Member: Rank 3
I thought it was fun but a bit formulaic; much of the humour comes from the unlikely teaming up of Spock and Bones. Sofia Boutella is a promising addition as Jaylah but the film is only a slight improvement over the disappointing INTO DARKNESS. The first film is, imo, the best of the three, by far.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I finally had the opportunity to see it last night, and I was impressed. I think the fact that Pegg co-wrote it and is a big fan of the franchise shows through the script, because the characters feel closer to their original counterparts. It was nice to see Bones being a more integral of the story. That bothered me in the first two films, because Kirk, Spock and Bones were always good friends, even though there was always that infighting between Spock and Bones - they did respect each other and had a deep friendship that neither would ever admit to.

And while I respect Takei's opinion, it didn't bother me one bit that they made Sulu gay. That scene where he meets up with his husband and daughter was touching, especially Kirk's reaction to it.

Also, Idris Elba. That all I have to say. Idris MF Elba.

I liked the references to Enterprise, especially the idea that the baddie had been one of the M.A.C.O.s, and I wish they had done more with them. I'd like to see a show, or even a mini-series, done with the group. I always thought that there should have been some special force within Starfleet like that, and I liked the inclusion of them in canon. Also that the Franklin looked very similar to the NX-01 Enterprise.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
S.J. Clarkson To Helm A Fourth “Star Trek”

s-j-clarkson-to-helm-a-fourth-star-trek-696x464.jpg

British director S.J. Clarkson has reportedly entered talks to helm the next installment in the “Star Trek” film series reports THR. Should the deal go through she would be the first woman to helm a film in the ‘Trek’ franchise.

Earlier this week Paramount Pictures said two new “Star Trek” films were in development at the studio with best guesses being a fourth installment of the current Chris Pine-led reboot film series, and a standalone film which Quentin Tarantino is involved in.

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/tarantino-trek-movie.3790/

That guess is looking more and more likely as the one Clarkson is in talks for is the fourth Pine/Quinto movie which again will be produced by J.J. Abrams and boasts a script by J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay. The studio does not have acting deals with the cast members so fresh contracts would have to be drawn up.

Clarkson directed the pilot for Netflix’s “Jessica Jones” series, most recently directed the entire runs of the mini-series “Collateral” and “Love, Nina,” and has had extensive experience in TV including work on shows like “Life on Mars,” “Dexter,” “Bates Motel,” “Banshee,” “Vinyl,” “Orange Is the New Black,” “TURN,” “Heroes,” “Ugly Betty,” “House,” “Smash,” “The Bridge” and “The Defenders”.

Doctor Omega

Pine, Hemsworth Exit “Star Trek 4”

pine-hemsworth-exit-star-trek-4-696x464.jpg

Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth have reportedly both walked away from the upcoming fourth “Star Trek” film following failed salary negotiations reports THR.

Pine was going to reprise his role as Captain James T. Kirk for a fourth time, while time travel elements of the story would allow his onscreen father to appear. Hemsworth played the role in the 2009 reboot film’s prologue.

When the original cast signed on it was with the option for three films, so a fourth meant contracts had to be re-negotiated. Pine signed on early for a fourth when he locked down his “Star Trek Beyond” deal, while Hemsworth has been attached as a potential returnee since 2016.

With the underperformance of ‘Beyond’ in 2016, grossing just $343 million worldwide at a cost of a massive $185 million, the studio is cutting costs for the next one. The franchise isn’t Marvel or “Star Wars,” its home is TV and so its films are effectively ancillary and don’t earn anything close to Marvel of “Star Wars” money – especially overseas.

This wasn’t a problem for the pre-Abrams films which had tight budgets, but since 2009 those budgets skyrocketed. While revenue has gone considerably up, its not been enough – not when similarly budgeted other studio tentpoles rake in $700 million to a billion worldwide.

In any case, the actor’s reps insist: “they have deals in place and that the studios are reneging on them, forcing them to take pay cuts as they try to budget a movie that is following a mediocre performer.”

Fellow cast mates Zoe Saldana, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg and John Cho are all expected to close their deals and return. Even so, this puts the project up in the air. While Hemsworth’s role could be recast, Pine was essential to the current ‘Trek’ films.

S.J. Clarkson remains slated to direct the film which hasn’t set production or releases dates as yet. The film world of ‘Trek’ is stumbling as the TV world is flourishing at the moment with more “Star Trek: Discovery” and numerous other Trek-related shows on the way.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Pine, Hemsworth Exit “Star Trek 4”

View attachment 9449

Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth have reportedly both walked away from the upcoming fourth “Star Trek” film following failed salary negotiations reports THR.

Pine was going to reprise his role as Captain James T. Kirk for a fourth time, while time travel elements of the story would allow his onscreen father to appear. Hemsworth played the role in the 2009 reboot film’s prologue.

When the original cast signed on it was with the option for three films, so a fourth meant contracts had to be re-negotiated. Pine signed on early for a fourth when he locked down his “Star Trek Beyond” deal, while Hemsworth has been attached as a potential returnee since 2016.

With the underperformance of ‘Beyond’ in 2016, grossing just $343 million worldwide at a cost of a massive $185 million, the studio is cutting costs for the next one. The franchise isn’t Marvel or “Star Wars,” its home is TV and so its films are effectively ancillary and don’t earn anything close to Marvel of “Star Wars” money – especially overseas.

This wasn’t a problem for the pre-Abrams films which had tight budgets, but since 2009 those budgets skyrocketed. While revenue has gone considerably up, its not been enough – not when similarly budgeted other studio tentpoles rake in $700 million to a billion worldwide.

In any case, the actor’s reps insist: “they have deals in place and that the studios are reneging on them, forcing them to take pay cuts as they try to budget a movie that is following a mediocre performer.”

Fellow cast mates Zoe Saldana, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg and John Cho are all expected to close their deals and return. Even so, this puts the project up in the air. While Hemsworth’s role could be recast, Pine was essential to the current ‘Trek’ films.

S.J. Clarkson remains slated to direct the film which hasn’t set production or releases dates as yet. The film world of ‘Trek’ is stumbling as the TV world is flourishing at the moment with more “Star Trek: Discovery” and numerous other Trek-related shows on the way.
I wonder what Vic Mignogna is doing these days?

Doctor Omega

He was at the Manchester Comic Con a few weeks ago, which I attended..

I passed the autograph line for his table and he was just returning to it from somewhere. There were a lot of people in the line.

He seems almost as popular for his voiceover work on anime as for StarTrek, but the voice-over work was news to me.

Yes, they should have supported STAR TREK CONTINUES, instead of continuing to churn out DISCOVERY.

And I think the above film series with(out) Pine, etc. is "dead, but it won't lay down!"

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
He was at the Manchester Comic Con a few weeks ago, which I attended..

I passed the autograph line for his table and he was just returning to it from somewhere. There were a lot of people in the line.

He seems almost as popular for his voiceover work on anime as for StarTrek, but the voice-over work was news to me.

Yes, they should have supported STAR TREK CONTINUES, instead of continuing to churn out DISCOVERY.

And I think the above film series with(out) Pine, etc. is "dead, but it won't lay down!"

No, I consider STAR TREK CONTINUES as their "audition tape".

I would have given them the task of setting up STAR TREK: DISCOVERY and fitting it into established continuity 10 years before STAR TREK: TH ORIGINAL SERIES.

They could have all played original characters. And James Doohan's son could have played a relative of Scotty, just for that personal connection to STAR TREK that the studio seems to always be looking for.

Doctor Omega

Chris Pine Talks “Star Trek 4”

Pine spoke about his potential involvement in the next “Star Trek” film. The project is said to be on hold at last report as contract negotiations with both Pine and Chris Hemsworth have stalled over salary with the likelihood that Pine could forego the next entry.

Speaking to Variety, Pine was asked if he’d like to be a part of the film to which he replied: “I don’t know. I mean, I’d love to be involved. We’ll see what happens. You know, I’ll await the phone call. Until then, I look forward to it.”

At last report SJ Clarkson will helm the new film which hasn’t yet set a production or release date.

Doctor Omega

“Star Trek 4” Shelved By Paramount

pine-hemsworth-exit-star-trek-4-696x464.jpg

The news of the hiring today of SJ Clarkson to both direct and executive produce HBO’s upcoming “Game of Thrones” prequel pilot came with another revelation. Reportedly the premium cabler snagged Clarkson after she recently became available because a previous commitment fell through – “Star Trek 4”.

In 2018 Clarkson was the first female director to be tapped to direct a “Star Trek” movie when she was hired to helm the fourth feature in the current J.J. Abrams-produced series. Today, Deadline reports that the project has since been shelved by Paramount and won’t be proceeding.

This was not entirely unexpected as in August talks with actors Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth to appear in the next film had fallen through when Paramount wanted to tighten the budget in the wake of the poor performance of “Star Trek Beyond”.

Doctor Omega

Recently, actor Zachary Quinto told ComicBook.com that he and his fellow crew members would be thrilled to once again return for another “Star Trek” film but admits they aren’t really involved anymore:
“It’s already thriving in the television format with Discovery and Picard and the spinoffs. I can’t even keep track of how many new Star Trek stories are being told since our last film in 2016. All I know is that we, all of us, had an incredible experience making those films. If there is an appetite for more of those stories with us in them, I’m sure that we would all be thrilled to come back and do one more or whatever, but I’m not really attached to it anymore.
I stepped away from any expectation or any real certainty that it’s ever going to happen again. I think that’s the only real way to move through the world, right? If it happens, that’d be great, but I’m not going to sit around waiting for it to happen.”
No active development is reportedly underway on another “Star Trek” film as yet, though numerous “Star Trek” TV shows are currently in production with more in development.