How Authentic a Trek Show is This?

• This feels like the real deal!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Have these guys even watched the original series?

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I'm still on the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
‘Star Trek: Discovery’: Alex Kurtzman on Finishing Strong and Plans for Season 2

Star Trek: Discovery
is a critical success for CBS and has managed to double subscriptions to the network’s streaming service, All Access. With all of the success, it’s only a matter of time before the show gets an order for a second season.

At New York Comic Con, producer and co-creator Alex Kurtzman told Polygon that CBS was enamored with the show and pleased with its success. As for when fans can expect to hear about the show being renewed for a second season, Kurtzman teased it was imminent.

“Conversations are going very well,” Kurtzman said. “We’re more than hopeful that they’ll be ordering a second season very soon.”

Star Trek: Discovery premiered on Oct. 24 and, despite the show being on All Access, CBS is happy with audience turnout for the series. CBS previously confirmed there has been a 200 percent year-over-year growth for All Access. Mobile downloads of the app have doubled as well, according to a report from Variety.

Not everyone is happy about Discovery being exclusive to All Access, though. Producer Heather Kadin told Polygon that she understands the frustration people are dealing with over having to sign up for All Access in order to watch the show.

“I totally get why people are upset,” Kadin said. “I grew up middle class and my parents are confused that they have to pay to watch our show. But there is something amazing about being able to launch a new network and become a place that people may find stories they wouldn’t be able to find on traditional network.”

One of the biggest questions going forward in Star Trek: Discovery is whether other characters from The Original Series, who may be around in the timeline but aren’t on the show, will ever actually make an appearance or be mentioned. Producer Akiva Goldsman confirmed during a press conference that Spock — or any of the original cast — will never be mentioned or included on the show. Even though Sarek, Spock’s father, plays an important role in Discovery, his iconic Vulcan son will be kept separate.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Producer Akiva Goldsman confirmed during a press conference that Spock — or any of the original cast — will never be mentioned or included on the show. Even though Sarek, Spock’s father, plays an important role in Discovery, his iconic Vulcan son will be kept separate.
Yes, it doesn't do to overly remind people of superior characters and better shows when you are trying to sell rubbish with a STAR TREK label on it.

Just cheekily steal enough from the past (such as Sarek as the adoptive father of the lead - and have the Klingons appear, but in name only) to give a trace of authenticity to your product - and then claim that you are furthering the optimistic vision of STAR TREK, while actually producing clueless dystopian shlock! :emoji_grin:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Yes, it doesn't do to overly remind people of superior characters and better shows when you are trying to sell rubbish with a STAR TREK label on it.
Sadly this would still true even if they got the cast from the recent movies to make an appearance. I'm not a big fan of the movies but at least they were far closer to Star Trek than this is.

johnnybear

It annoys me the way we are told that this is a great series by the media yet a lot of us don't seem to think so! Same way that the original series was popular with us growing up in the seventies but the media of that era said it was just for the kids!
JB

johnnybear

A while back (fifteen years) I felt I had to buy anything Star Trek to be a real fan! I liked TNG and DS9 and even VOY although TOS is the best in my opinion but when ENT came about I was severely disappointed enough to change my OCD and not purchase the series on DVD! With Discovery I'm convinced that I was correct in not doing so and even more anti this new style of Trek!
JB

Doctor Omega

Great news!

The Star Trek franchise is all growed up now.

The latest episode of DISCOVERY had the following exchange....

One character says "That is f---ing cool," and then apologizes.

But another character responds: "No, cadet, it is f---ing cool."

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I never thought STAR TREK would get to the point where it has like, y'know, proper f-bombs and stuff!! Awesome!! :emoji_head_bandage:

And why didn't those hacks from the original shows, Ellison, Matheson, Bloch, Fontana, Gerrold etc, think to pepper their scripts with 'such exchanges as the above? Idiots!! Even Rick Berman missed this particular trick throughout TNG and up to and including ENTERPRISE! The Dolt! :emoji_confounded:

I think that the swearing is the least of it's problems. but is perhaps the icing on the cake.

Watching the clip, it came across a very self-conscious use of the f-bomb. Somewhat forced. Doing it because they could and designed to shock and make people sit up, instead of emerging naturally during a crisis, as part of the drama. I felt that the actors said it very self consciously too. Either they are not particularly talented - or were uncomfortable with the lines.

A writer of talent could maybe have convinced me that the word was appropriate in the moment. After all, we have heard Data say "Shit", Kirk say "Dipshit, double-dumb-ass" etc.

All this convinced me of was that the hunt for TREK writers of the calibre of Harve Bennett and Nick Meyer, to name but two, goes ceaselessly on... :emoji_confused:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Star Trek: Discovery” Gets A Second Season

star-trek-discovery-gets-a-second-season-696x464.jpg

CBS has officially renewed its “Star Trek: Discovery” for a second season with current showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg also returning for the next round.

A renewal is not surprising given all “Star Trek” series have heavy start-up costs for set construction – as such, additional episodes don’t require as much of a cost outlay.

Marc DeBevoise, President of CBS Interactive says: “In just six episodes, Star Trek: Discovery has driven subscriber growth, critical acclaim and huge global fan interest for the first premium version of this great franchise. This series has a remarkable creative team and cast who have demonstrated their ability to carry on the Star Trek legacy.”

What’s not clear is how many subscribers the show has fueled, how many viewers are watching the series, and how much this is actually costing CBS as much of the show’s budget is said to come from the deal with Netflix who broadcasts the series internationally.

The only ratings information for the show was its first episode premiere on CBS with that episode drawing 10.6 million viewers and a 2.1 rating in Live+3.

Doctor Omega

Now it turns out - in the latest broadcast episode - that they have fully developed HOLODECKS in the DISCOVERY era...

In episode 6 "Lethe" of Star Trek: Discovery, Captain Lorca and Lieutenant Tyler run a VR combat simulation together. In the official timeline, Holodecks are not yet available to Star Fleet - big mistake, or can this still make sense ?

Sigh......

startrekdiscovery-lorcamenagerie-1505162173083_1280w.jpg

Last edited:

Gavin

VIP
“In just six episodes, Star Trek: Discovery has driven subscriber growth, critical acclaim and huge global fan interest for the first premium version of this great franchise. This series has a remarkable creative team and cast who have demonstrated their ability to carry on the Star Trek legacy.”
I'm honestly not sure how anyone can make a statement like that with a straight face.

Gavin

VIP
Now it turns out - in the latest broadcast episode - that they have fully developed HOLODECKS in the DISCOVERY era..
Well obviously Enterprise wasn't the technological marvel we all thought it was. Just a second rate ship without all the good technology that was available. They were just humouring Kirk and the others by letting them think that Enterprise was the fleet's flagship.

And yet, a century later, Riker is astounded at the technology.
Maybe Riker grew up in an Amish community?

Doctor Omega

320x240.jpg

Desperate fans, whose minds can't handle this, are pointing out that there was, in fact, a holodeck in the animated series, so it actually makes sense, somehow......

By 2270, the Enterprise is equipped with a holodeck in its Recreation Room. A control console in the center of the large chamber allows for such holographic simulations as a sunny beach, or a pleasant woods. When the Enterprise is infected by highly charged subatomic particles in 2270 (stardate 3183.3), the ship's computer turns on Helmsman Sulu, Dr. McCoy and Lieutenant Uhura in the holodeck, trapping them first in a pit in the woods, then in an icy blizzard, and finally in a hedge maze.

Doctor Omega

Thank goodness the makers of DISCOVERY watched and researched THE PRACTICAL JOKER episode of The Animated series, before adding the holodeck to their ship.

Errm, they did know there was an animated series, didn't they? :emoji_confused: