How Authentic a Trek Show is This?

• This feels like the real deal!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Have these guys even watched the original series?

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I'm still on the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
I think we watch it due to our past connection with the franchise! I was going to say series but it's far more than that now. But the producers are mistaking plain, simple interest for enjoyment!
JB

Gavin

VIP
I watched about half of this episode yesterday. Then I decided to turn it of in favour of cleaning the house. I'm just really struggling to work up any interest in this show now. I honestly didn't think I'd be able to find a character I liked less than Michael but Captain Lorca is starting to give her some competition.

Gavin

VIP
The weird Klingons turned me off. It looked like Star Trek as conceived by someone who had never seen Star Trek.
And they don't sound like Klingons. I'm not fluent in the language, so it's entirely possible they are speaking it correctly, but it just sounds different to the Klingon language we've heard in other series. I'm also not fond of the idea that we only hear them speaking in Klingon. Traditionally, there's been a convention that we hear them speak a little in their own language and then we hear them in English, with the assumption that they're still speaking their own language and we're just hearing the translation version. I've never been a fan of having to read a TV show. If I want to read I'll find a book. I'm watching TV so I don't have to read.

johnnybear

Apart from their ugly faces and conker-like heads, those terrible costumes they wear look like decorations on a wedding cake to me! Far from the black and gold of TOS or the Spanish type Conquistador look of TMP,TNG and DS9!
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
120815_ti_tardigrade_free.jpg

A scientist for FORBES magazine has attacked the show now....

The idea of using horizontally transferred DNA for space travel is so nutty, so bad, that it’s not even wrong. Even if tardigrades could absorb foreign DNA (they can’t), how the heck is this supposed to give them the ability to tap into the (wildly implausible) intergalactic spore network? DNA that’s been taken up through HGT isn’t connected to the source any longer. This is no more plausible than asserting that people could connect to the mushroom network by eating a plate of mushrooms. And how would the space-traveling tardigrade take the entire ship with it? Are we supposed to assume it’s creating some kind of mushroom-DNA field?

Doctor Omega

If there is a God, he/she created that thing - and it is designed to last longer than any other species.

Tardigrades will inherit the Earth..... :emoji_confused:

Let's hope they make a better job of it than us. :emoji_anguished:

Tardigrades also known colloquially as water bears, space bears, or moss piglets) are water-dwelling, eight-legged, segmented micro-animals.

They were first discovered by the German zoologist Johann August Ephraim Goeze in 1773. The name Tardigrada (meaning "slow stepper") was given three years later by the Italian biologist Lazzaro Spallanzani.

They have been found everywhere: from mountaintops to the deep sea and mud volcanoes; from tropical rain forests to the Antarctic.

Tardigrades are one of the most resilient animals known.

Individual species of tardigrades can survive extreme conditions that would be rapidly fatal to nearly all other known life forms, including complete global mass extinction events due to astrophysical events, such as supernovae, gamma-ray bursts, or large meteorite impacts.

Some tardigrades can withstand temperatures down to 1 K (−458 °F; −272 °C) (close to absolute zero) while others can withstand 420 K (300 °F; 150 °C) for several minutes, pressures about six times greater than those found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, and the vacuum of outer space.

They can go without food or water for more than 30 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.

For more Tardigrade fun, see here......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/tardigrades.3009/#post-25131

Doctor Omega

'Star Trek: Discovery' Novel Explains New Starfleet Uniforms

http://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/09/27/star-trek-discovery-uniforms-canon-timeline-original-series/

51h9UitUWkL._SL300_.jpg

Star Trek: Discovery: Desperate Hours, which was released earlier this week gives readers a crossover between the Enterprise and Shenzhou crews in 2255. With the crews traveling space within years of each other, their completely different uniforms would certainly raise some eyebrows. Thankfully, the novel explains it away pretty easily, in a passage you can check out below.

"Gant and his team from the Shenzhou wore dark blue Starfleet utility jumpsuit uniforms with black trim, while the Enterprise team sported pale gold or light blue jerseys over black trousers — a new uniform style that so far had been issued exclusively to the crews of Starfleet’s vaunted Constitution- class starships."

So, there you have it. Apparently the outfits worn by the Enterprise crew were far ahead of the curve, while the Shenzhou crew members were donning more standard uniforms of the time.

Doctor Omega

vh3.png

There is now a fan theory that the character played by Madge Sinclair in THE VOYAGE HOME was actually Michael Burnham.

Doctor Omega

I don't believe this theory.

The fact that she has not already long since killed her crew and herself due to some dumb, hot-headed and violent decision suggests that this is a different character. :emoji_confused:

Doctor Omega

“Star Trek: Discovery” Season 1.5 First Trailer

star-trek-discovery-season-1-5-first-trailer-696x464.jpg

CBS All Access has released a new trailer for the midseason premiere of “Star Trek: Discovery” which debuted after last night’s midseason finale.

That finale effectively seemed to bring the Klingon war arc to a close, whilst also teasing the direction of the second half of the show’s first season. The new trailer offers only vague hints as to what will happen.

The next batch of episodes will premiere on the streaming service from January 7th