chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I do have to say, as cool as the idea behind this refit is, the concept of the third nacelle on top never made much sense to me outside of it just looking cool.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
In another era I am sure that Montgomery Scott would have had some very choice words to say about "that bloody great thing hanging on our back!" as he studied his technical journals in despair. :emoji_alien:

chainsaw_metal1

I just got done rewatching Unification, and all in all, this has to be one of the best stories from TNG. Riker proves that he could be a hell of a captain, the moments between Spock and Picard are amazing to watch, and the conversation between Spock and Data is simply wonderful. I feel like there could have been many more stories following Spock and the ongoing process of Unification (I think there were in novel form, but I'm not sure... @Doctor Omega may be able to help with that one).

The moments between Spock and Picard are highlighted, of course, by the ongoing rift between Spock and Sarek, and Sarek's relationship with Picard. Jean-Luc was, in the end, able to bring the father and son closer than they had been. That final scene of the mind meld is very touching.

I know we've all said in in various ways, but this is what Star Trek was about. Yes, there were action sequences - often involving Kirk's non-obvious stunt double, and the social commentary, but at its core, there was the story of humanity. Uplifting stories that could highlight those bright moments in life. I wish CBS would get that through their thick skulls and hire on creative persons who get what ST should be, and bring the franchise back to that.

Doctor Omega

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Unification_movement

History

The Unification movement consisted of Romulans who were against the militaristic nature of the empire and wished for a re-unification with their Vulcan cousins. The movement was a powerful force but one that was suppressed by the Romulan authorities.

The group was a charismatic force within Romulan society and was led by Ambassador Spock. It was nearly quashed by Commander Sela during the attempted invasion of Vulcan in 2368, but still operated as of 2371. It was one of the many factions that competed for power after the collapse of the Romulan Senate during Shinzon's coup. (TTN novels: , Taking Wing, TNG episode & novelization: Unification, TOS - Spock: Reflections comics: "Issue 1", "Issue 4")

Spock's Unification movement was made a legal organization in 2381. Spock left the movement after he came to see that the Romulan people were against reunification.(ST - Typhon Pact novel: Rough Beasts of Empire; ST - Typhon Pact novel: Plagues of Night)

Online timeline

In 2381, Spock returned to Federation space as the movement grew. Xiomek worked with the movement seeing the Remans and Unification members as allies, both exploited by the Romulan government. On stardate 59480.33, a formal aid request was made by Spock to the Federation Council and the matter was taken into consideration. (ST website: The Path to 2409)

2382 saw the movement petition Tal'aura to be represented (along with the Remans), but she ignored it. After this, the Spock brought their case to the Federation Council who formally took up the matter. The issue was tabled after Councilor T'Los influenced the council with logic stating the separation would likely continue and in order to "protect the Vulcan way of life".

The following year, Spock returned to Romulus and the group decided to continue their peaceful ways of achieving their goals. Sela blamed the movement for the death of Tal'aura in 2384. It was thought that this may eventually lead to war. (ST website: The Path to 2409)

Following the Hobus supernova, Kererek, a Romulan naval officer, reached out to D'Tan, a prominent Unificationist leader, in hopes of finding a way to counter the growing influence of the Tal Shiar in the remnants of the Empire. The two forged an alliance that grew into the Romulan Republic, which in 2409 was recognized by the Federation and the Klingon Empire as an independent state. (STO missions: "Voice of the Voiceless", "Turning Point")

Alternate reality

In the Kelvin timeline, Senator Pardek was the founder of the movement. Following the Destruction of Vulcan, Ambassador Spock went to speak with Pardek. However, the Praetor and Senate had them arrested, tried, and sentenced them to be executed. However, other members of the resistance save them stealing a shuttle. Despite the risk, Pardek chose to stay behind. Before Spock left with Cyrano Jones, Pardek gave him information on the Romulans' plan to attack the Vulcan survivors at Ceti Alpha V with the Red matter.(TOS - Legacy of Spock comics: "Part 2", "Part 3")

Doctor Omega

Strangely, CSM, I have always found the first episode, leading up to meeting Spock, the more watchable of the two, which is crazy I know. Maybe it is the bits of business along the way, with the Picard trying to sleep on the hard bunk while Data is staring and the odd characters they meet, such as the pianist woman and the guy who is "King of his castle" etc.

It was nice to see Spock, but I felt he played the role a little too weary and I was saddened that the rift that had been healed with Sarek by the end of THE VOYAGE HOME was back in all it's glory, with a sad conclusion as the differences between father and son were not healed by the time of Sarek's passing. Denise Crosby as Sela was another weak point in the second episode, I thought. While I liked her as Tasha, I felt she wasn't in the Jaqueline Pearce league of playing arch villains. I was also painfully aware the Nimoy had only agreed to appear in the show if the story acted as a kind of advertisement for THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY, which was due in the cinemas.

I did hear of an earlier proposed appearance by Spock involving the Guardian of Forever. That might have been a little more epic and lived up to the hype of Spock's appearance.

I felt the same kind of underwhelmed feeling with Spock's appearance as I was later to feel when Kirk was going to meet Picard - only to end up breaking eggs in a kitchen with him.

Scotty, I think, by far had the most well played appearance in the show. Poignant and a genuinely affectionate tribute to the character and the past show.

I did like UNIFICATION, but felt it could have been something really special, when it was merely good.

Doctor Omega

Good to see Bill Gocke, the boom-operator making an appearance though.

They really could have done more with this fascinating and elusive character......

Bill_Gocke.jpg

chainsaw_metal1

Denise Crosby as Sela was another weak point in the second episode, I thought. While I liked her as Tasha, I felt she wasn't in the Jaqueline Pearce league of playing arch villains.
You silly bastard. No one was in the Jacqueline Pearce league! Gorgeous and evil, just how I love my women. :emoji_grin:

I dunno, I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but for some reason, this episode just clicked with me. Maybe it was because of Spock, and he was always my favorite character. I would agree with you that the first part does, indeed, play better than the second. I am, however, mindful of wishing for more done in show with this idea. In this day and age of story arcs, this story would take up an entire season, and end with absolutely nothing. Oh, how I long for episodic television that can be watched as individual stories to return.
Scotty, I think, by far had the most well played appearance in the show. Poignant and a genuinely affectionate tribute to the character and the past show.
You dare say that, when I have this irrefutable piece of evidence to prove you wrong?
Just kidding, mate. I absolutely love Scotty's appearance, and it's doubly wonderful when you see this.

Doctor Omega

Oh, how I long for episodic television that can be watched as individual stories to return.

This, definitely. So many arcs around everywhere these days.

So many behind the scenes interviews talking about "the arc of the season", "the arc of the character", "the journey my character is taking". Episode after episode building up to a big season finale.

I did used to love the whole planet of the week thing, which meant that a dud episode was in no danger of becoming a dud arc. And you could join the show at any point without feeling left out, baffled and lost because you missed that important foreshadowing scene seven episodes ago.

I liked ARC OF INFINITY though. Apart from the Ergon......

Ergon_1.jpg

chainsaw_metal1

Just rewatched Family and Firstborn. Firstborn is an episode that I think I have only watched once before, and it really is interesting. Not a top ten episode by any means, but seeing Worf coming to terms with the fact that Alexander doesn't want to be a warrior is really well done.
The twist that K'mtar is Alexander from the future come to change himself in order to save Worf later is kind of heartbreaking, even though his eventual decision to kill his younger self would be negated by the Grandfather Paradox (yes, I am that nerd!).
Family I have seen numerous times, and it remains one of my favorite TNG episodes. And it was the perfect episode to follow up the two-part Best Of Both Worlds. We see just how much Picard was affected by his encounter with The Borg, and get to see him finally make amends with his brother. It also reminds me that, no matter how much I look forward to technology making life easier, the idea of synthohol just makes me cringe. It's like drinking non-alcoholic beer. What's the point? If I can't get to that point of running down the street naked, count me out.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Just rewatched Family and Firstborn. Firstborn is an episode that I think I have only watched once before, and it really is interesting. Not a top ten episode by any means, but seeing Worf coming to terms with the fact that Alexander doesn't want to be a warrior is really well done.
The twist that K'mtar is Alexander from the future come to change himself in order to save Worf later is kind of heartbreaking, even though his eventual decision to kill his younger self would be negated by the Grandfather Paradox (yes, I am that nerd!).
Family I have seen numerous times, and it remains one of my favorite TNG episodes. And it was the perfect episode to follow up the two-part Best Of Both Worlds. We see just how much Picard was affected by his encounter with The Borg, and get to see him finally make amends with his brother. It also reminds me that, no matter how much I look forward to technology making life easier, the idea of synthohol just makes me cringe. It's like drinking non-alcoholic beer. What's the point? If I can't get to that point of running down the street naked, count me out.
No, you're just one of a herd of nerds... :emoji_wink:

BJS

Member: Rank 1
Had they gone with a female "Lesley Crusher" for TNG, would they have have cast an ordinary kid or gone for beautiful and blossoming into a rose?