News The Batman (2021)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

It was originally going to be directed by Affleck, but he has stepped down to allow Matt Reeves to take over, while Affleck stars in it and produces it, with rumours of it being the first in a trilogy.

The main villain has been confirmed by Affleck as Deathstroke, with Arkham Asylum making an appearance.

Thoughts on this new project?

Last edited:

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
I love the idea, now to make it work is a different subject lol.

I really liked Deadpool [yes I know it's Marvel lol] and how they made that. I wish they would do something similair with the new Batman, but obviously darker. I wasn't impressed by the Bat vs Sup movie as I read the comics and that movie just makes no sense compared to the comics, so it failed in my opinion.

Doctor Omega

I also wish DC would finally tie their television and movie franchises together, in the same way that Marvel do with Agents of Shield etc. but, as far as I know, they are still completely separate.

Doctor Omega

UPDATE:

DC were in negotiations with Matt Reeves to direct, but that has now apparently broken down....

"A studio source indicates that negotiations have stopped, but adds that talks could resume down the road. WB is still intent on making the film, the source insisted, whatever means necessary."

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I also wish DC would finally tie their television and movie franchises together, in the same way that Marvel do with Agents of Shield etc. but, as far as I know, they are still completely separate.
The official story was that studio heads were afraid that audiences would get confused by seeing the same actors on the television and in the movies. From what I gathered from other articles, Snyder thinks the television programs are "too light", and insists on giving us this dark, gritty bullshit that Goyer Frankensteins from numerous stories, pulling together cool moments without any discernable narrative. Snyder has also gone on record as basically saying that he doesn't care about the fans or what they want, because he's making "his own universe".

I believe he also tried to give a multiverse explanation for it, saying that they took place in different universes, which just makes him seem like that much more of an asshat.

Doctor Omega

Official title is now: "The Batman".

Matt Reeves to Direct.

Script to be Rewritten from Top to Bottom as of March 2017

January 2017

In January of 2017, an interview with The Guardian, Affleck stated that the film does not have a set script, and that he will only direct it if he feels like it will be a great movie.

The film will reportedly be shot in Los Angeles, which will double for Gotham City.

Later on that same month, Affleck announced that he was stepping down as director in order to focus on the role. He will continue to serve as writer, producer, and star of the film.

February 2017:

In February after Affleck´s departure from the director's chair, it was announced that writer and collaborator Chris Terrio was hired to write the screenplay, from the co-written script by Ben Affleck and DCEU co-runner and producer Geoff Johns.

In February of 2017, Warner Bros. announced the title as The Batman and that Matt Reeves would direct and co-produce the film.

March 2017

Now according to /Film, the rumor about the screenplay being rewritten from the bottom up may very well turn out to be true after all. Along with the news that Reeves won’t begin production on The Batman until 2018 (due to the fact that he’s focused on his current film War for the Planet of the Apes) the outlet’s sources indicate the production is being rewritten from scratch.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

There are also rumours circulating that Ben wants out of his Batman contract and that, even if he is contractually forced to do this film, it will definitely be his last outing as Batman.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/the-batman-ben-affleck-director-no-more-the-dark-knight-a7580116.html

These are merely rumours, but, should they prove true, poor D.C. Does nothing go right for them?

FURTHER UPDATE: Deathstroke Actor Out? New Villain to Replace Deathstroke in Rewritten Script?

Joe Manganiello appeared on Pittsburgh Today Live this past week to promote his role in the new “The Smurfs” movie and revealed that he’s now unsure as to whether he’ll still suit up as Deathstroke for Matt Reeves’ “The Batman”.

The comments come following a crazy week for the film production with the film’s star and former director announcing that he had just completed a stint in alcohol rehab, and reports that the project was no longer on track to begin shooting this Spring with the script potentially undergoing a page one re-write.

Manganiello has in recent weeks been quite adamant about his involvement in the film and indicated he’d begun training for the role, even as last month came word that his involvement was no longer a sure thing.

If the full re-write reports are correct, there could well be a new villain chosen to take on Affleck’s Dark Knight and until Reeves completes his script no-one is sure.

UPDATE:

Dylan Clarke (Planet of the Apes Producer) Being Brought Onboard?:

Matt Reeves is reportedly bringing in his Planet of the Apes producing partner to help out with the movie.

Producer Dylan Clark could be coming over to Warner Bros. to make The Batman with Matt Reeves. Nothing is official as of right now, but there are talks going on between the two parties. Clark and Reeves have worked closely together on the Planet of the Apes franchise at Fox.

Reeves is also a producer on The Batman, along with Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns. There is no release date, and it’s not expected to start shooting until sometime in 2018.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Matt Reeves on the THE BATMAN Movie....

When Ben Affleck vacated the director’s chair of his upcoming film The Batman, we knew Warner Bros. would need to find someone special to step in if they wanted to keep fans buzzing about the film’s possibilities. Hiring Matt Reeves, the man behind Cloverfield and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, seemed like a pretty solid play. The dude has some serious skills, and after Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad failed to generate the level of excitement from fans and critics the studio hoped for, Reeves may be the one who can get things moving in the right direction.

The filmmaker has been deep in post-production on War for the Planet of the Apes, so we haven’t heard much from him yet about what he plans to do with The Batman. But in a new interview, Reeves compared those two movies and explained why he’s excited to bring the Caped Crusader back to the big screen.

Reeves spoke with the Los Angeles Daily News and revealed that Planet of the Apes and Batman both hold a special meaning for him:

“It’s a strange thing to be involved in the two franchises which were the two that I was connected to most as a child. I just was obsessed with Batman when I was a kid. What I find so interesting about him as a character is that, as far a superhero goes, he’s not superhuman, he is a person. And he is a tortured soul who is grappling with his past and trying to find a way to be in a world that has a lot that’s wrong with it and trying to find a way to reconcile all of that. That is a really powerful character, in the same way that Caesar is such a powerful character.”

That Batman is just a man in a suit is far from an original observation, but one of the reasons Reeves’ films work so well is because they’re often populated with fully fleshed out characters. It may sound simple, but I expect The Batman to succeed if it concentrates on character instead of spectacle (a lesson that would have benefitted Batman v Superman). Hopefully the script – which is being completely rewritten since Reeves came aboard – puts us deeper inside Affleck’s head and approaches the Dark Knight from an angle we haven’t seen before.

War for the Planet of the Apes hits theaters on July 14, and The Batman likely won’t make its way into cinemas until sometime in 2019.

Doctor Omega

Matt Reeves Compares “Apes” To “Batman”

apes-batmanjpg.jpeg

Following his work on “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” and its soon to release follow-up “War for the Planet of the Apes,” filmmaker Matt Reeves was hired to direct the Ben Affleck-led “The Batman” standalone film which is in development at Warner Bros. Pictures.

Speaking with Los Angeles Daily News this week about his take on the Caped Crusader, Reeves reflects on the similarity between the protagonists of the franchises – the ape Caesar and Bruce Wayne/Batman:

“It’s a strange thing to be involved in the two franchises which were the two that I was connected to most as a child. I just was obsessed with Batman when I was a kid. What I find so interesting about him as a character is that, as far a superhero goes, he’s not superhuman, he is a person.

And he is a tortured soul who is grappling with his past and trying to find a way to be in a world that has a lot that’s wrong with it and trying to find a way to reconcile all of that. That is a really powerful character, in the same way that Caesar is such a powerful character.”

Reeves is still engulfed in ‘Apes’ responsibilities until sometime in June, meaning filming on the new “Batman” film probably won’t begin until early 2018 – especially as the film has yet to receive a proper green light.

Doctor Omega

Reeves: Hitchcock To Influence “The Batman”

reeves-hitchcock-to-influence-the-batman-696x464.jpg

The reaction to the hiring of Matt Reeves to direct “The Batman” may have been a little tepid despite Reeves’ excellent track record so far – especially for both large scale action and intimate character-driven stories.

Excitement should increase when “War for the Planet of the Apes” opens in a few weeks and is already garnering talk of it being not just the best Summer blockbuster but one of the year’s best films in any genre.

Doing early press for the movie, Reeves has spoken about his approach to “The Batman” in this early stage and says he’s drawing inspiration from the legendary Alfred Hitchcock for the film which will sport the strongest point-of-view approach to the character since the first half of 2005’s “Batman Begins”. He tells CNET:

“For me, point of view is really important. I want to make sure you are experiencing something from the perspective of the main character in the story. I’m a huge Hitchcock fan — I like the idea of being immersed in that perspective. Movies for me are about empathy. The idea is to make you, the audience, feel what the character feels.”

The comments followed on from some last month about the similar journey taken by both Batman and Caesar the ape:

“What I find so interesting about him as a character is that, as far a superhero goes, he’s not superhuman, he is a person. And he is a tortured soul who is grappling with his past and trying to find a way to be in a world that has a lot that’s wrong with it and trying to find a way to reconcile all of that. That is a really powerful character, in the same way that Caesar is such a powerful character.”

Production on “The Batman” doesn’t begin until next year and there’s presently no release date set.

Doctor Omega

“The Batman” Film Gets Arkham Inspiration?

the-batman-film-gets-arkham-inspiration-696x464.jpg

A new rumor about Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” has sprung up, but this one has a more positive tone than some that have emerged in the past.

We Got This Covered reports that for now the plan is to keep the majority of Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns’ existing script with Chris Terrio putting his own touch on the screenplay.

The report claims the changes that are happening seem to be taking a cue from the critically acclaimed “Batman: Arkham Asylum” video game series – specifically the first. Namely the film begins with a massive breakout at Arkham Asylum, though in the film it will be led by Deathstroke rather than Joker.

This would allow not just for many of Batman’s villains to show up, but would also allow for the detective side of the character to be heavily employed – a side to the character both Reeves and Affleck have previously expressed an interest in exploring.

Onto the more confirmed news and Reeves has confirmed to Getty this week that Affleck is still very much board to portray the Dark Knight despite the notable absence of wording confirming that in the press release announcing Reeves’ hiring.

Filming on “The Batman” isn’t slated to get underway until early next year.

Doctor Omega

Reeves’ “The Batman” Will Begin An Arc

reeves-the-batman-will-begin-an-arc-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Matt Reeves has indicated that with the upcoming DCEU film “The Batman,” the plan is to first and foremost make a good single movie with a solid story. Only then will there be some world building and potential sequel or trilogy setup planned out.

That is a welcome change of pace to hear from many films launching this Summer which seem to have overly ambitious and overconfident cinematic universes planned before the first one has even been screened. Reeves says his work on both “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” and “War for the Planet of the Apes” showed him how the creative process changes throughout production:

“I have ideas about an arc, but really, the important thing is just to start… you have to start with one. You know, you have to start with a story that begins something. And I would be lying if I could tell you that the arcs of Apes was already planned out, because it simply wasn’t; it’s one of those things where that character was so potent, and the possibility was embedded from the beginning, but exactly how you’ve got from A to Z is not something that existed.

In fact, when I came in on Dawn, the story that I wanted to tell was different from the story that they had even presented me. And so, there are these broad ideas, I think, that sort of came to mind as Rise was created, of how that story could be told, but they weren’t explicitly laid-out.

And when Mark and I began Dawn, we knew what our goals were, but we didn’t know how we were gonna get there, and I would say that that more relates to the way that I see a Batman story, is a kind of ambition for a series of stories, but really the most important thing is gonna be to tell a vital first story.”

Reeves has previously expressed interest in telling a “noir-driven, detective” story with the film which still doesn’t have a locked down production or release dates at this point.

In fact Reeves won’t begin work on the film in earnest until his ‘Apes’ press commitments are over in the next week or so.

Doctor Omega

Reeves Talks Nolan Inspiration For “Batman”

reeves-talks-nolan-inspiration-for-batman-696x464.jpg

Still doing “War for the Planet of the Apes” press rounds, filmmaker Matt Reeves has now spoken about how Christopher Nolan’s work on his Batman trilogy has had a significant impact on the way he approaches both blockbuster movies and his plans for the upcoming “The Batman” feature. Reeves tells Yahoo UK:

“What I love that [Nolan] did was that he took the genre seriously. What studios are willing to make at the moment is a very, very narrow band of films. What I discovered is that this genre has the potential to be about something more. You can use the metaphors of the genre to talk about [a lot].

I think the other thing that I really admire in what [Nolan] did was knowing what it is to make a big studio film, which often can fall into that sense of committee filmmaking where there’s an anonymity to the point of view of the film.

What I admire in what [Nolan] does is that, despite being a filmmaker in an enormous system, his perspective comes through. That to me was very exciting, it’s always exciting when you see a film of his because of that. That’s what I feel like I’ve been trying to do, it’s trying to allow a perspective to come through despite the fact that we’re in this very large studio movie world.”

Warner Bros. Pictures famously developed a reputation for studio interference in DCEU films with David Ayer’s “Suicide Squad,” which resulted in a financially successful but critically slammed feature. They were comparatively hands off with Patty Jenkins’ “Wonder Woman” which has not only made bank but also scored acclaim as well.

No word as yet regarding when “The Batman” will go into production.

Doctor Omega

Matt Reeves Ditches Affleck’s “Batman” Script

matt-reeves-ditches-afflecks-batman-script-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Matt Reeves, talking with MTV’s Happy Sad Confused podcast ahead of the release of his new film “War for the Planet of the Apes,” has revealed that when he came onboard to do “The Batman” for Warner Bros. Pictures, it meant the whole project was starting over.

Reeves confirms that he had scrapped the earlier script that Affleck, Chris Terrio and DC’s Geoff Johns had worked on: “No, it’s a new story. It’s just starting again. I’m excited about it. I think it’s going to be really cool.”

Reeves has previously made it clear that Affleck will remain as the Dark Knight in a more noir-driven take on the character. Joe Manganiello’s Deathstroke served as the villain in Affleck’s script, but it’s unclear if that will remain the case with Reeves who has previously indicated casting is some time off.

He also spoke to Uproxx about his vision for the project and says:

“When I come in, what I say is, ‘Look. First of all, you’re asking me if I’m interested in this franchise. I am. I love this franchise. I’ve loved it since I was a kid. But here’s the way in which I’m interested in it. And if you’re not interested in it in that way, then that’s totally fine.; And the good news was, they said, ‘Yeah, we’re really interested in that way.’

And I remember this on Dawn, too. There would be moments where I came in for a pitch that was a certain version of the movie, and somewhere along the way, because they didn’t know me or whatever it was, they’d say, ‘Why don’t we do this?’ And I would just simply say, ‘But that’s not the movie that we talked about. That’s not the movie I want to do.’ And I have to say that they always backed down when it came down to that. And it’s kind of the way that I’ve always done it. And here’s the thing: I’m always happy not to do something. I’m usually looking for the reason to say no.”

Affleck is set to appear at San Diego Comic-Con next week to promote “Justice League” in which he reprises the Bruce Wayne/Batman role. Filming on “The Batman” isn’t expected to get underway until early next year.

Doctor Omega

Ben Affleck’s Future As Batman Uncertain?

ben-afflecks-future-as-batman-uncertain-696x464.jpg

Ben Affleck will be hitting San Diego Comic Con tomorrow along with the rest of the cast of “Justice League” to help promote the superhero team-up feature.

So far the company line from everyone involved in the DCEU has been that Affleck will continue in that role for the near future, even as rumors have previously swirled about his dissatisfaction.

Today, The Hollywood Reporter says according to their sources, the studio is working on plans to gracefully usher out Affleck’s Batman. They also indicate the change, in whatever form it takes, will be addressed in one of the upcoming DC films. Just when and how it will happen has yet to be determined though.

Matt Reeves, who will direct the upcoming standalone “The Batman” films, has previously said that he means to keep Affleck in the role even as Affleck first stepped back from directing and now the script he co-wrote for the film has been ditched by Reeves.

Indications are Reeves is planning a grander story, potentially a trilogy, which is not necessarily something the soon to turn 45 years old Affleck is necessarily on board for. Filming on “The Batman” isn’t expected to happen until early next year.

Affleck will remain in the role for a little while yet at least as “Justice League” is in the midst of reshoots under the tutelage of Joss Whedon. The next trailer for ‘League’ is expected to be unleashed tomorrow following its premiere at the Comic Con panel for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Doctor Omega

Mark Bomback (“The Wolverine,” “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes”) will be helping out Reeves on the script for “The Batman”.

Doctor Omega

Reeves’ “The Batman” Now A Standalone

reeves-the-batman-now-a-standalone-696x464.jpg

With the announcement this week that Warner Bros. and DC Films are moving forward with a “The Joker” origin film separate from the DCEU films, it looks as if Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” may be following suit.

In an interview from last month on KCRW that’s suddenly been making the rounds again (via The Wrap in which Reeves says his film won’t be a part of the DCEU canon either:

“Well, I have a vision for a way to do something with that character that feels like it resonates with me personally, and a perspective that can grow out into other things. When they [Warner Bros.] approached me, what they said was ‘Look, it’s a standalone, it’s not part of the extended universe’.”

This seems to be why Reeves’ hesitated to join and then eventually jumped onboard the film after ditching Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns’ script and writing from scratch with a potential new Batman trilogy in mind.

With this approach, he’s creatively unencumbered, but it also lends credence to the rumors that Affleck will hang up the cowl after “Justice League”.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
First off - and I'm sure I'm the only one - but I fail to see a need for a Joker origin film. This seems like a stupid idea. Again, probably the only one, but I liked how Moore handled his backstory in The Killing Joke. The idea that it may have been his own tale, but then you have his comment about remembering it differently, his liking his origin to be multiple choice. I realize that the writers have now actually given him a name, and have hinted about possible histories for him, but really, let's stop with all of the 'give everyone a backstory" nonsense. Rant over.

Second, this is getting out of hand with the DC movies. I wasn't thrilled with the choice of an older Batman for the shared universe. But Affleck won me over, and it made sense for the movies they were making. I could also go into a huge rant about how there are many Batman comics out there, not just The Dark Knight Returns, and they could find inspiration from any of those, but I'll leave it for now.

As for The Batman, what I had heard about Affleck's ideas for the film, it had me excited. Deathstroke? Fuck yeah! But then Ben was replaced as director, then his script gets tossed in the bin, and then we have rumors about him leaving the role, either voluntarily or unceremoniously. This is why they should have had a better plan for all of this, as Marvel did. Now we're just going to get numerous stand alone films, like we had in years past, and not that wider comic book-style universe that we all wanted. I'm glad they still have the DC shows on CW, because they seem to get it.

And as much as I really want to see a Justice League Dark movie, the biggest drawbacks are going to be to many unknown characters (to non-fans, who honestly, can go take a flying leap, but still, box office and all that), and the supernatural element. That may detract some viewers who just think of comic book movies as superhero movies.

There, I think I got it all out. Maybe.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
The latest story is that its only standalone in regard to not having other DCEU characters cameo or storylines that lead to or from other movies. It's still part of the same universe but not intertwined. Self-contained might have been a better way of expressing it rather than standalone. Gives them the benefit of being able to market to people who may have been turned off by Batman v. Superman but still free to be able to reference the events of this movie in other movies if they want to.

Doctor Omega

Reeves’ “The Batman” Is A Part Of The DCEU

reeves-the-batman-is-a-part-of-the-dceu-696x464.jpg

Following old comments resurfacing yesterday indicating Matt Reeves’ upcoming “The Batman” film won’t be a part of the larger DC Extended Universe, the director has now responded to quickly growing queries as to where his movies fit into continuity (if any).

Tweeting earlier this morning, Reeves makes it clear this will be part of the larger DC Extended Universe seen in “Justice League” and “Wonder Woman”:

“Just to be clear: Of COURSE Batman will be part of the D.C. Universe. Batman will be BATMAN. In my comments from a while back about not being part of the DCEU, I was talking about The Batman being a story specifically about Batman… not about the others in the Universe. That it wouldn’t be filled with cameos servicing other stories – that it would be a BATMAN story.”

Reeves’ earlier comments re-emerged in the wake of the news this week that Warner Bros is developing a label for DC film properties to be adapted outside the shared universe of earlier features, kicking off with Todd Phillips’ The Joker origin film.

Talk of a solo Batman film has been delicate in recent times due to questions of Ben Affleck’s involvement both on screen and with the script.