Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Post and chatter here about the Fab Four

The best band of all time?

Were they right to split up when they did?

And did they lose something as solo artists?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I think that the time was about right for them to split.

I also think that Paul McCartney has shown the most consistency in his solo work.

John's solo stuff had great highs, but a lot of chaff amongst the wheat and his last album was very weak for a comeback. There was no indication that he would ever outstrip McCartney in consistently creating popular melodies, even had he lived.

George had some great moments solo, but he perhaps went on spiritual journeys that left a lot of people behind.

Ringo was clearly, I think, helped along by people who liked him in his solo career, writing songs to help him out.

Just don't send him any fan mail now! It will go in the bin.

And I don't think Yoko split them up. They were ready to go their separate ways i.m.o.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a 1978 American jukebox musical comedy film directed by Michael Schultz and written by Henry Edwards. The film tells the loosely constructed story of a band as they wrangle with the music industry and battle evil forces bent on stealing their instruments and corrupting their home town of Heartland. The film is presented in a form similar to that of a rock opera with the Beatles' songs providing "dialogue" to carry the story, with only George Burns having spoken lines that act to clarify the plot and provide further narration.

Its soundtrack, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, features new versions of songs originally written and performed by The Beatles. The film draws primarily from two of their albums, 1967's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and 1969's Abbey Road. The film covers all of the songs from the Sgt. Pepper album with the exceptions of "Within You, Without You" and "Lovely Rita", and also includes nearly all of Abbey Road.

The production is somewhat adapted from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on the Road, a 1974 off-Broadway production directed by Tom O'Horgan.

Upon release, the film received scathingly negative reviews, with critics taking issue with its thin plot and incomprehensibility. The film has however been praised for its musical renditions of classic Beatles songs, and has since gained a cult following. As of September 1, 2014, review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes reports that 15% of 20 critics gave the film a positive review, with an average score of 2.9 out of 10.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
It really is a pretty terrible movie. The story makes no sense, the acting is horrible, and I hate the Bee Gees. And yet, I can't help but love this film. The music really isn't that bad, and it's goofy fun.

Doctor Omega

Yellow Submarine is a 1968 British animated musical fantasy comedy film inspired by the music of the Beatles, directed by animation producer George Dunning, and produced by United Artists and King Features Syndicate. Initial press reports stated that the Beatles themselves would provide their own character voices; however, aside from composing and performing the songs, the real Beatles participated only in the closing scene of the film, while their cartoon counterparts were voiced by other actors.

The film received a widely positive reception from critics and audiences alike. It is also credited with bringing more interest in animation as a serious art form. Time commented that it "turned into a smash hit, delighting adolescents and esthetes alike"

The Beatles were not enthusiastic about participating in a new motion picture, having been dissatisfied with their second feature film, Help! (1965), directed by Richard Lester. They saw an animated film as a favourable way to complete their commitment to United Artists for a third film, however. Ultimately, because of the band members' relatively small roles and the fact it was animated, United Artists still considered them to owe another film; Let It Be would be the third film to complete their contract with the studio.

The Beatles make a live-action cameo appearance in the final scene, which was filmed on 25 January 1968, shortly before the band's trip to India. This was to fulfill their contractual obligation of actually appearing in the film. The cameo was originally intended to feature a post-production psychedelic background and effects, but because of time and budget constraints, a blank, black background remained in the final film. While Starr and McCartney still looked the same as their animated counterparts, Lennon and Harrison's physical appearances had changed by the time the cameo was shot. Both were clean-shaven, and Lennon had begun to grow his hair longer with accompanying mutton chop sideburns.

The Cancelled Remake:

In August 2009, Variety reported that Walt Disney Pictures and director Robert Zemeckis were negotiating to produce a 3D computer animated remake of the film. Motion capture would be used, as with Zemeckis' previous animated films The Polar Express, Beowulf and A Christmas Carol. Variety also indicated that Disney hoped to release the film in time for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. Disney and Apple Corps officially announced the remake at the inaugural D23 Expo on 11 September 2009.

Comedian Peter Serafinowicz was cast to voice Paul, Dean Lennox Kelly as John, Cary Elwes as George, and Adam Campbell as Ringo. California-based Beatles tribute band, The Fab Four was cast to do the motion capture performance for the animated Beatles.

In May 2010, Disney closed Zemeckis' digital film studio, ImageMovers Digital, after the successful yet unsatisfactory box office performance of A Christmas Carol. On 14 March 2011, Disney abandoned the project, citing the disastrous opening weekend results of Simon Wells' Mars Needs Moms. Criticism towards motion capture technology was also a factor.

Last edited:

Hux

Member: Rank 6
If you put a bunch of 18 year olds who'd never heard the Beatles in a night club and played this, I bet they'd have no idea it was recorded in 1966.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
A great watch after all these years. I still crack up with the scene of John in the tub with the sub. Then again just some of the bits and lines are funny.

What's your favorite scenes, lines, or songs?

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Well, at her age she's allowed - it's the fact that Sean Lennon the "beautiful boy" is now 41 that makes me feel a bit older than I'd like

chainsaw_metal1

The aforementioned bathtub scene, the scene with John and the random girl in the hallway ("You're him!"), the scene with George and the clothing execs, and too many more to list here. It;s a brilliant film from beginning to end.

I still get a kick out of how much of a period piece it is. A band like The Beatles was such a popular group with the younger crowd, and yet, they're shown smoking in several scenes. That certainly wouldn't fly in this day and age.

chainsaw_metal1

This whole movie is quotable lines and great scenes. You couldn't just pick out a few. The boys are in rare form, and it was sort of the last hurrah for the mop top era, before they decided to experiment and expand their sound and image. One of the best musical films ever.

Doctor Omega

THOSE ANTHOLOGY SONGS.....

Yoko handed over a tape to Paul containing three unfinished songs....

Two of them, of course, got made over for the Anthology albums.....

One remained - and still remains - unfinished....

It was vetoed by George as "fuckin' rubbish!"

But Paul keeps saying he will do something with it one day....