duzit

Member: Rank 6
One of the unique aspects of IMDb was that there weren't any sort of user rankings for number of posts (though they had a lot of other rankings for things like reviews and other non-message board activity). Personally, I don't care how many posts another person has, I'm looking for quality, not quantity of posts.

I will admit to noticing how long the person has been on IMDb, and will sometimes look at their posting history, since that sometimes indicates whether or not a user has recently created an account in order to post fake posts (for example, if a large number of glowing reviews come from recently registered users, then you have to suspect the validity of the reviews).

But if too much weight is given to post quantity, then all you're doing is rewarding some people into flooding the boards with useless posts.

But the above is just one rabbit's opinion!
I love your avatar...

duzit

If there ever need to be a ranking system, I think basing it on how many Like each member receives, is the most suitable. The Like button, or the Like counting, is already there and doesn't need more work.

As to what purpose the ranking system serves, I don't know...
I don't really like a VIP or Private forum.
More fancy Titles up with the Like Counting, why not.
Over some Like Counting requirement, freely custom title (except "Admin, Staff etc." title), why not.

People can get Like for sheer joy and satisfaction, not for any concrete goal.
I like using the "Likes" system...

Elessar

Member: Rank 2
I notice that the New Posts column on the right of the Home page is quite short, just after 10 mins of posting a new post could go out of that column and definitively out of members' sight. Maybe you could make it at least 10 or 15 new posts? (15 is nothing for such a diversity forum.)

If there's a need to shorten something in order to lengthen the New Posts column, you may shorten the New Profile Posts. With all due respect, Profile Posts are more personal and not as important to general members as New Forum Posts.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Am thinking, maybe might be an idea to move the Star Wars, James Bond, Harry Potter etc from film boards to the franchise boards?

Also, any chance of that Alien Franchise board please? :)

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
Am thinking, maybe might be an idea to move the Star Wars, James Bond, Harry Potter etc from film boards to the franchise boards?

Also, any chance of that Alien Franchise board please? :)
I fell asleep when I was doing the boards, thankfck everything else is still working

If it makes more sense to put all the dedicated/exclusive boards in one Franchise board, then I am happy to move them over.

Alien, yes! Will add that. Check the first page of Stuff to fix/improve, there is a post about the Franchise/Network boards and more, those will be added asap today.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
A very very small cosmetic issue:

When I click on one of the Tabs: sitenoise : Inbox : Alerts (using the Blue Theme), the active one becomes white and the text stays white. If you hover over the Tab the text becomes blue. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
I am aware of that :)
Yesterday I worked all day to fnish a migration to the server and now I'm in the process of getting e-mail addreses for the moderators, then I'm going to create facebook/twitter channels for the forum and then I'll get into fixing the minor details that wasn't able to finish.. yeah it's a busy schedule.

Harry Skywalker

Member: Rank 1
Hi everyone!

Shouldn't this forum tell us how many registered members it has? Most forums say this.

And just to fully understand: is it really truth this site is gonna be able to put message boards to individual movies, TV shows actors, etc... like in IMDb?

DeJoHnNiE

Hi everyone!

Shouldn't this forum tell us how many registered members it has? Most forums say this.

And just to fully understand: is it really truth this site is gonna be able to put message boards to individual movies, TV shows actors, etc... like in IMDb?
Hiya and
to the site Harry, I hope you will enjoy your stay with us.

You can find total registerred members [aka Forum Statistics] on the home page on the right side at the bottom of the columns under the Newposts/threads feeds.

Yes! This is very true and possible. We don't have them all yet, but once they are started they are there to stay. It's up to you all to start these threads because we just started and obviously don't have everything yet. But feel free to start any discussion/thread here in the right categories. Missing categories can be added if needed.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Hi everyone!
G'day Harry, welcome to the Internet Media Discussion Forums.
It does.

When you are viewing forums in the main menu, look down the bottom on the right hand side.
I'll leave this question for the technical geniuses who put this website together to answer.

Harry Skywalker

Hiya and
to the site Harry, I hope you will enjoy your stay with us.

You can find total registerred members [aka Forum Statistics] on the home page on the right side at the bottom of the columns under the Newposts/threads feeds.

Yes! This is very true and possible. We don't have them all yet, but once they are started they are there to stay. It's up to you all to start these threads because we just started and obviously don't have everything yet. But feel free to start any discussion/thread here in the right categories. Missing categories can be added if needed.
Thank you very much for the welcome!!! :)

So basically we are be able to have Individual Message Boards to everything? That sounds awesome!

And for curiosity: are we gonna be able to rate movies as well or am I now being extremely pushy? :D

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
You already have a Title Tag, which the forum calls "Title Prefix" which should allow you to put a "review" prefix into the title, good for doing reviews.

The actual review if you meant "stars" will be coming later. Right now we are fixing the most important staff and getting ready for when IMDB boards are gone. This means we need to have the forum in place, working as expected, all major bugs fixed and the styling working as it should (there are still some things not working that I'm planning on fixing).

BUT

And this is a big but here. We always implement stuff that is requested, we always create subforums for shows/movies that people request, so long as they are populated, they will be there to stay forever.
This forum isn't going anywhere and it doesn't have a problem increasing its size so, always ask first and you most probably should get it :)

DeJoHnNiE

Another suggestion.

There's this Threads Bar:

Home Forums > Site Feedback & Troubleshooting > Suggestions & Feedback

Isn't it possible to put this bard at the bottom as well? Then we could get back to previous threads even without having to go to the page of the page everytime.
I think we need a brighter, and maybe with text added, Up Arrow. If you look at the right, you will see a arrow and this will get you to the top.

However, we will take the suggestion into consideration and will see what we can do if it's really needed. Thanks for that!

Thank you very much for the welcome!!! :)

So basically we are be able to have Individual Message Boards to everything? That sounds awesome!

And for curiosity: are we gonna be able to rate movies as well or am I now being extremely pushy? :D
Yes, we are able up to the point we aren't anymore and then it can even be expanded I guess

That's pushing it
hehehe... But seriously, rate how? I think the rating system will stay on IMDb, giving a rating here or reviewing a title is possible, so just go for it I guess.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
I am aware of that :)
Yesterday I worked all day to fnish a migration to the server and now I'm in the process of getting e-mail addreses for the moderators, then I'm going to create facebook/twitter channels for the forum and then I'll get into fixing the minor details that wasn't able to finish.. yeah it's a busy schedule.
Now I feel bad for posting that. I'll keep quiet until you give us the :emoji_thumbsup:

Harry Skywalker

You already have a Title Tag, which the forum calls "Title Prefix" which should allow you to put a "review" prefix into the title, good for doing reviews.

The actual review if you meant "stars" will be coming later. Right now we are fixing the most important staff and getting ready for when IMDB boards are gone. This means we need to have the forum in place, working as expected, all major bugs fixed and the styling working as it should (there are still some things not working that I'm planning on fixing).

BUT

And this is a big but here. We always implement stuff that is requested, we always create subforums for shows/movies that people request, so long as they are populated, they will be there to stay forever.
This forum isn't going anywhere and it doesn't have a problem increasing its size so, always ask first and you most probably should get it :)
That's very good to hear. This forum has a lot of potential.

However, there's still one thing I'm not totally sure: we are gonna be able to have individual message boards for individual movies, actors and TV shows, however we are the ones who always need to ask them to be created. Am I right?

If yes it's kind of like IMDb, I guess.

Harry Skywalker

I think we need a brighter, and maybe with text added, Up Arrow. If you look at the right, you will see a arrow and this will get you to the top.

However, we will take the suggestion into consideration and will see what we can do if it's really needed. Thanks for that!

Yes, we are able up to the point we aren't anymore and then it can even be expanded I guess

That's pushing it
hehehe... But seriously, rate how? I think the rating system will stay on IMDb, giving a rating here or reviewing a title is possible, so just go for it I guess.
Well I was asking that about the bar because most forum sites have that, and when forums don't have that bar at the bottom it becomes really annoying having to scroll up everytime. :D

DeJoHnNiE

That's very good to hear. This forum has a lot of potential.

However, there's still one thing I'm not totally sure: we are gonna be able to have individual message boards for individual movies, actors and TV shows, however we are the ones who always need to ask them to be created. Am I right?

If yes it's kind of like IMDb, I guess.
No... You [the members] can and are free to create threads about whatever or whoever you want. The only thing we [Staff] have to do is when there is a need for a new Category, if you have something and can't find a place for it, we are the only ones that can create Main or Sub Categories. The rest of the Forum is free, everyone can create new Threads.

Well I was asking that about the bar because most forum sites have that, and when forums don't have that bar at the bottom it becomes really annoying having to scroll up everytime. :D
I understand, but did you miss me saying about the Up Arrow? This will allow you to jump to the top without scrolling. It is visible at all times everywhere.

duzit

That's pushing it
I for one, would like a bigger/brighter "Up" arrow. :)