Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Absolutely agree with every word.

I think that, in years to come, Capaldi's era will be viewed as a huge missed opportunity. They had a fantastic choice as the Doctor, then undermined his entire era, firstly by focusing on Clara Who, then seeming undecided about how he should portray the character, using the gimmicks you outlined. And then taking a year away from him, the poor sod.

The episodes, as always, were filled with oh so funny quips and smart alec comments in the face of danger, undermining any sense of jeopardy.

And he will not even get a decent dramatic send off, regenerating in the Christmas special.

There is no way that it will be a dark, Androzani-like adventure for him where he is battling against terrible personal odds to save one person or anything like that. No, it will be a seasonal biscuit barrel full of cute quips and he will just change at the end of it in a not too dramatic way, because people don't want anything too heavy on Christmas day while they are digesting their grub.

And I also think he was pushed, or at least encouraged to go. He was just not daft enough to do a Colin Baker and run to the Sun newspaper, telling all.

Poor Peter.

Hopefully Big Finish will serve him better. :emoji_alien:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Just seen a Peter Capaldi Story?

Post your review of it here...

Or, if you can't be bothered to write a review, what are your overall thoughts on this incarnation of the Doctor?

I'm probably going to be all alone in this but I'm good with that as it's familiar territory and I'm not afraid to stick my foot in my mouth (athlete's foot has never been a particular problem for me)! But I think Capaldi was a perfect choice for the "12th" Doctor. I thought he brought a kind of cool vibe I haven't seen in a long time and just as many thought Matt Smith was too young (I loved him so much more than Tennant) I thought having an older Doctor made a lot of sense. I also thought he had the best TARDIS I'd ever seen... loved, loved, loved the bookshelves and the air of antiquity about it, along with a very real sense that someone actually lived there.

However, with one or two exceptions I thought he was done a terrible disservice in terms of the stories he was given. It doesn't matter at all how good you are if you don't have the material to work with that you deserve. MS got great storylines although I know that many disagree with me on that line of thinking and I think that was part of the reason he was able to do so many seasons to such tremendous response. I also came around to really liking the chemistry between he and Jenna Coleman and then JC with PC as well; although I found the decision to kill her off just one more example of how little they really seemed to care about all of it anymore. I didn't watch the "new" companion at all. So, although I'll miss him terribly and always feel as if he was cheated out of something he really could have nailed... I'm pretty sure I won't be back for awhile. For me, they've kinda sucked the joy and adventure out of it and without that... what's the point?

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I want to see The Thick of It. I liked him in Torchwood. And Doctor Who? He was great in The Fires of Pompeii and is my second favorite Doctor!

The Seeker

He's my second favorite Doctor. I hated how long it took to get him right (hoodie? sonic sunglasses? yuck) but when they finally did, they really did. I too felt he was underserved by his stories, and while I agree there was obvious chemistry between Capaldi and Coleman, I hated how they made her his mommy in so many respects. I also hated the last episode. Leave her to die with dignity for heaven's sake.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
It seems like there was no middle ground on this one. Fans either loved it or hated it, no in between. Personally, I loved it. First off, it delighted my inner fanboy that grew up reading comic books. Second, Capaldi is wonderful in this special. His disbelief that no one could ever tell that Clark was Superman, and his bleak outlook on the effect of radioactive spider bites. He was wonderfully witty throughout. I also found myself liking Lucas as Nardole, and I hope he remains likable through the next season. When he tells the others about River Song at the end, I found myself tearing up. Such a great scene.

The Seeker

Uuuuuughhhh. Didn't care for it. Maybe if the premise had been merely taking the bodies of the recently deceased - but downloading their souls? Brig as Cyberman? Only two Cybermen in the world can overcome their programming? Now I did like Clara's dream in the TARDIS - well done - liked her posing as the doctor - and for all I hated the "souls" part (just not scientifically sound) 3w was clever - but there were too many flaws for me to fully appreciate it.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Ah, the "Stupid Forest Story", to quote a certain former poster on the now non-existent IMDb message boards...

Not one of the better efforts from Steven Muppet.

Oops, did I misspell his name?

Shame...

Gavin

VIP
As someone who generally seeks to find something worthwhile about every episode (even Love and Monsters) this is an episode I really can't defend at all.

Doctor Omega

A Doctor of such great potential.

I always feel that he has never quite flown and shown us what he is truly capable of.

But I do think that he will be remembered as one of the best castings of a Doctor ever, regardless of whether or not he lived up to his inherent potential.

Doctor Omega

PETER CAPALDI AUDITIONED FOR CAPTAIN SISKO ON DEEP SPACE NINE

g2ck3wz2zfboephhtezv.jpg

Set your phasers to stunned. Early audition documents and footage have revealed that Peter Capaldi, Doctor Who himself, once tried out for the role of Commander (later Captain) Benjamin Sisko on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. And he’s not the only one.

Twitter account trekdocs recently dug up a UK casting session document from July 1992 for Deep Space Nine. Among the actors who auditioned that day were none other than Capaldi, who later became the 12th Doctor on Doctor Who, as well as Anthony Stewart Head, who you might know better as Rupert Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. What.

The official Twitter account for the upcoming Deep Space Nine documentary, What We Left Behind, confirmed that both Capaldi and Head tried out for the part by posting images from their audition videos.

https://twitter.com/DS9Doc/status/905855416155881472/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fio9.gizmodo.com%2Fajax%2Finset%2Fiframe%3Fid%3Dtwitter-905855416155881472%26autosize%3D1

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I think Capaldi would have been a great Sisko, but it would have been a vastly different show. As much as I really don't care for DS9 (I promise, I will eventually give it another chance), Brooks was a really great actor, and he made Sisko a very compelling character.