johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Capaldi going is so sad, he was brilliant, the best Doctor in NuWho. The tragedy is he was given crap stories. He is the Colin Baker of NuWho.
Not seen the Xmas special yet, been busy watching Shada, but I saw the regeneration scene. This may be picky, but The Doctor CANNOT regenerate already wearing mascara and some sort of face blusher, but we got a close up of mascarad eyes before the big reveal that it's a woman!
Well apart from the idea of a gender swapping Doctor being crap, I agree, although I hadn't noticed any mascara on her eye lids! I thought the scene with Capaldi talking to himself was as corny as hell and it was just a waste of time put in because the show was running short! Can't say I think Capaldi was the best Doctor of New Who though. I could sense his Tom Baker velvety tones here and there but he didn't seem to have his own individual identity did he. One minute he was wearing a Hartnell mock up and then Pertwee's series seven attire and then a hoody which didn't suit him, but like you say that was Moffat's fault because in essence the guy just doesn't know how to write for Doctor Who!
JB

johnnybear

I'm no longer a long term fan.

I might have started watching back in 1974 or 1975, but I'm retiring at the end of the Christmas special.

I've finally had enough. I'm just not enjoying it anymore.
Me neither! I wasn't a great fan of the RTD era but at least he gave us a few good episodes where as Moffat has accidently left with us three perhaps acceptable tales, none of which he knew how to end properly that or they were written by other people like The Doctor's Wife! I stopped collecting the series on DVD from Matt Smith's finale and that was really only because I wanted to get everything during the fiftieth but Capaldi's era, gender swapping Time Lords, bolshy companions and non-sensical stories have left me cold about the show!
JB

johnnybear

Not that I was a great fan of it but at least it was better than Matt Smith's original control room!
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
My favourite scene of Capaldi.

Perhaps because he was not having to speak any of Moffat's godawful (i.m.o.) dialogue.

It makes me sad watching this, because it shows how we barely scratched the surface of just what an amazing Doctor he was; when allowed to breathe as an actor.....

Doctor Omega

Peter Capaldi plans to charge £75 for an autograph at London Comic Con

Peter Capaldi (pictured) will be charging £75 for an autograph at the London Comic Con His spell as the Time Lord divided viewers.But now former Doctor Who Peter Capaldi has outraged fans by charging £75 for an autograph.The 59-year-old actor, who is one of the main draws at the annual Comic Con, is giving a talk at the sci-fi-led event.But has come under fire for demanding such a high price for his autograph.He also asks attendees to fork out £65 for a photograph with him – or £225 for a 'diamond pass' consisting of an 'exclusive mug, photo, autograph and priority seat'.While some fans welcomed the news last night, declaring the Scots star to be a 'huge signing' at the three-day event at London's Olympia, others were less than impressed.Writing on a Facebook fanpage, John Hogg posted: 'I feel sorry for younger fans. I think this is just taking the p*** – most autographs are average price £20-40.' Share this article Share Richard Cambridge posted: 'That's out the box. I'm going to sound old [but].... in the late 80s it was free to get 3 or 4 autographs from one guest.'Pearl Mackie, the Doctor's companion Bill Potts in the last series, is also charging £35 for an autograph and photograph at the event in July whilst Colin Baker, who played the sixth incarnation, is charging a mere £15 per autograph.Capaldi played the role from 2013 until the end of last year, and split opinion among fans. Viewing figures averaged around 7.9million under Christopher Eccleston, but fell to 5.5million during Glasgow-born Capaldi's tenure.

Last edited:

johnnybear

Typical really. Although I don't blame Capaldi for the mess that his three series were! But it seems like he's been drinking his own bath water a little too much to me and no one is worth £75 of anyone's money!
JB

Doctor Omega

Colin Baker, who played the sixth incarnation, is charging a mere £15 per autograph

Yeah, Colin's is, indeed, that price. I asked him as he signed my photo if he would consider coming back as an older, even more villainous, unregenerated President Maxil? Out to destroy the Doctor? He said somewhat grumpily that he would LOVE to do that, but added dismissively that "It will never happen, of course!"

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

"There it is.. The silly old universe. The more I save it, the more it needs saving, it's a treadmill. Yes, yes I know. They'll get it all wrong without me. Well, I suppose, one more lifetime wouldn't kill anyone. Well. Except me. You wait a moment, Doctor. Let's get it right. I've got a few things to say to you! Basic stuff first. Never be cruel, never be cowardly. and never, ever eat pears! Remember, hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind! Oh, and you mustn't tell anyone your name. No one would understand it anyway. Except.. Except children. Children can hear it sometimes, if their hearts are in the right place, and the stars are too. Children can hear your name. But nobody else. Nobody else, EVER. Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind. Doctor.. I let you go"

Doctor Omega

"There it is.. The silly old universe. The more I save it, the more it needs saving, it's a treadmill. Yes, yes I know. They'll get it all wrong without me. Well, I suppose, one more lifetime wouldn't kill anyone. Well. Except me. You wait a moment, Doctor. Let's get it right. I've got a few things to say to you! Basic stuff first. Never be cruel, never be cowardly. and never, ever eat pears! Remember, hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind! Oh, and you mustn't tell anyone your name. No one would understand it anyway. Except.. Except children. Children can hear it sometimes, if their hearts are in the right place, and the stars are too. Children can hear your name. But nobody else. Nobody else, EVER. Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind. Doctor.. I let you go"

I can't help thinking that - in the classic era - a frowning script editor would have shaken his head, raised his eyebrows wearily and started brutally chopping away at that final speech, distilling it to make even truly more powerful.

Then phoned up the writer - their friend - to perhaps teasingly mock them about the "pears" line.

But the head writers on modern Who go unchecked in this regard. (While all too often their script indulgences are papered over with emotive classical music.)

And that is a major flaw in the Showrunner set up imo.

There is nobody there to say no to the head honcho as he coasts along on his own genius.

Otherwise they may get "erased from Doctor Who" as Moffat is reputed to have publicly bawled at somebody.

(But, in the final product, I think Capaldi's delivery of "Doctor, I let you go" is a fantastic performance note for him to end on.)

Last edited:

johnnybear

Sadly I've no real interest in Capaldi or his era which was crap! I know it's not his fault as such and he did try to salvage something from it but he acted that drivel so you know...
JB

Doctor Omega

I never understood why they cast such a potentially brilliant Doctor and then undermined him so brutally with the writing.

The Capaldi disappointment is the biggest tragedy of Modern Who imo.

And when he said "Doctor I let you go!" so affectingly it actually took the words out of my mouth.

I will still post info on the show impartially, but it seemed an apt personal departure point imo.

Thirteen Doctors if one counts John Hurt and doesn't count Handy.

A complete regeneration cycle.

The end.

(N.B.: Just strange that, as the Doctor's consciousness entered the Matrix, he imagined he was a woman as he died.

Perhaps he was fusing with the consciousness of the - female - Tardis as he entered eternity. Together forever.

And that is why the Doctor said "Oh brilliant!" They would never be parted.

We even saw the Doctor/Tardis combo falling into the Matrix, into the depths of death....

Anything after that is adventures in the Matrix afterlife.

Which can be ignored.

Anyway, that is my crazy, highly far-fetched, "personal-head-canon" conclusion.

And it took a lot of hammering with a mallet to make it even half-work.) :emoji_confused:

The show will go on, of course.

But the time was right for me.

For I was never happy with the idea of a new regeneration cycle, as it was obviously motivated solely by the need to keep this money-making, highly profitable franchise going here and now, when the thirteen lives iteration should perhaps have been adhered to, bringing this iteration of the show to a natural conclusion.

The character of the Doctor could then have had another rest, - until someone then wanted to create an entirely new take on the character/show, that would have been a complete new entity, as Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan and other flexible and famous literary characters will testify.

Last edited: