Review The Colin Baker Doctor

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I've got the Target novelisations of Nightmare Fair and either The Ultimate Evil or Mission to Magnus. Nightmare Fair was great and featured the return of the Celestial Toymaker (who'd moved onto video games apparently). The other story I don't really remember well. I think it had the return of Sil plus some Time Lord who'd used to bully the Doctor. I have a vague memory of a scene where the Doctor hears his voice and has a bit of a breakdown, crying, which was quite odd.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I would have loved to have seen this season. Honestly, I actually like Trial of a Time Lord more than one probably should, but most of that boils down to Baker hamming it up in the courtroom scenes. Also the introduction of Glitz and the return of The Master are fun for me. I mostly like the idea that, after centuries of interfering, the Time Lords finally go after The Doctor, and that it was a version of himself causing the trouble.

But the story ideas presented make me wish we could have seen what might have come out of that season. It's too bad that higher ups at the BBC were such morons.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
But the story ideas presented make me wish we could have seen what might have come out of that season.
Unfortunately that's something that could be said about the stories of most of the 80's. On paper they all sound fantastic. It's just that some of them were so poorly realised on screen. I suspect the same would have been true of season 23. Great stories spoiled by low budget sets and effects and pantomime worthy performances.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, I totally agree.

I think that it is almost a foregone conclusion that the Ice Warrior's costumes would have looked wildly different to their original appearances - and probably not in a good way. Ditto, the Celestial Toymaker's costume. He probably would have looked more than daft.

Little things like that, which would have contributed, I feel, into making the above season less than a classic.

And, while I am grateful that Ian Levine has furnished us with the above, seemingly accurate information, I wish that JNT had listened to the advice of Graham Williams and had nothing to do with him.

With friends like Levine....

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Colin's much celebrated quick wit, comic timing and great sense of humour....

This is what we should have seen more of from his time as the Doctor.

I don't think I've ever seen him in better form and I've never found him more entertaining or likable.

Doctor Omega

This interview was aired during the broadcast of the "new" Doctor Who series when Colin Baker had just become the 6th Doctor. It was followed by the premiere of "The Twin Dilemma", his first series of 4 new episodes during a pledge festival.

Doctor Omega

An example of what might have been......

6d84787ad40bde176f430bdf87a6dab8--blue-coats-classic-doctor-who.jpg

But would such a simple, cosmetic change have helped Colin in the long run? Or ensured that he had a longer tenure in the role?