Review The Colin Baker Doctor

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Colin was a good looking guy it seemed in the seventies and then let himself go a bit by having a few late night munchies! :emoji_grin: I don't think it was necessarily wrong to have a fat Doctor but just not in that trifle of a costume! I didn't mind it that much to be honest and is certainly better than Capaldi's wardrobe or Whitaker's rainbow cast offs revealed today!
JB

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I liked Colin's costume at the time, but looking at now, it clearly should make it difficult for him to blend in unobtrusively during his adventures.

The scripts ignored this and always had the characters he met on location not reacting to the costume, even in historical locations such as MARK OF THE RANI.

I am happy with the sillhoutte of the costume, but black would have been nice. Not as struck on the blue variation that some fans have tried to claim Sixie changed into .

6th_doctor_blue_costume_by_cosmicthunder-davz7ef.png

Black is a slimming colour I am told, so could also have helped to hide Colin's munchie induced sins! :emoji_alien:

6th_doctor_s_costumes_by_cosmicthunder-d6syenh.jpg

johnnybear

Colin was very smug with this American guy wasn't he! And it was a very strange BBC that allowed it to lapse from 1990-2005 and then let it come back in a more jokey form with better effects! Shame that he got a bit nasty with the fans over this Whittaker nonsense as they had come to love him as a guy wronged by the higher ups, something that I know only too well myself! The First Doctor will also return this Christmas, another thing he got wrong it seems! :emoji_kissing_closed_eyes:
JB

johnnybear

Well Moffat must have been listening to this interview because he got to create The Mistress from the character of The Master and then he made it even worse by calling her Missy!
JB

Doctor Omega

I would happily buy all the Colin stories again if they changed the coat to black - not blue.

It would be nice to watch his Doctor again without that punch-in-the-face visual distraction.

Doctor Omega

I don't know why a creative portion of the collective fandom settled on blue.

I think REAL TIME was where I first heard of it.

I bet Colin was not consulted about the blue nonsense. Doubtless he would have asked them to put him in black for REAL TIME, but as we find time and again, the fans in charge of the show know better. :emoji_head_bandage:

MV5BMmIxNWVkMjQtZmI1My00ODYyLTg2MDYtMDEyNmM0ZjI4MDQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_.jpg

johnnybear

It looked good, but I don't think blue or any other colour is the way to go! Better to see him in a variety of colours rather than the same! Probably his usual outfit is...b..bet..ette..err! Gulp!
JB

Doctor Omega

s-l1600.jpg

As requested by many people, for the first time on Youtube, here are all of the Colin Baker links from 'The Colin Baker Years' released by BBC Video in 1994, with special thanks to 'ADarthtokuDalek' for sending me this. Unlike the other years tapes (apart from The Tom Baker years) ,where it shows full episodes, Colin watches/shares with us some clips from all his stories (excluding Revelation of the Daleks), in order of transmission, and tells us his thoughts of the serials and some little tales about working on them.
This was also the last Years tape the BBC released. Also included are news items about the casting of the Sixth Doctor, Colin's first Blue Peter and BBC Breakfast appearances, a extract from BBV's 'The Stranger' video, 'More than a Messiah', and a short BBC Children in Need clip of Colin's visit to The Doctor Who Exhibition in Blackpool in 1985.

Last edited:

johnnybear

I never saw the point of the Colin Baker years or the Tom years for that considering that all their episodes were stored safe in the archives!
JB

Doctor Omega

I have to admit, I enjoyed Colin and Tom's reactions, as each individual story clip prompted some anecdote or another. I know that the Peter Davison Years was filmed, but never released (yet). Not sure if Sylvester actually filmed his one.

This was, of course, roughly when JNT got booted off the video range (I suspect) thanks to that DWB fanzine campaign against him, when they were bombarding BBC video with letters saying "JNT must go!".