Review The Day of the Doctor (2013)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
112914.jpg

0000.jpg

DotD15.png

Your thoughts on this 50th Anniversary story.....

In 2013, something terrible is awakening in London's National Gallery; in 1562, a murderous plot is afoot in Elizabethan England; and somewhere in space an ancient battle reaches its devastating conclusion.

On to the next story....

TIME OF THE DOCTOR....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-time-of-the-doctor-2013.5342/

Back to the previous story....

THE NAME OF THE DOCTOR....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-name-of-the-doctor-2013.5444/

Or detour "behind the scenes" with....

THE FIVE(ish) DOCTORS........

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-five-ish-doctors-2013.1704/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

This currently holds the place of number one story ever, as voted for by fans, finally knocking Adrozani off the top spot...

But - a few years after transmission - how does it look to you?

Doctor Omega

Out on April 5th....

51szFccuEpL.jpg

Discover the new Doctor Who classics.

When the entire universe is at stake, three different Doctors will unite to save it.

The Tenth Doctor is hunting shape-shifting Zygons in Elizabethan England. The Eleventh is investigating a rift in space-time in the present day. And one other – the man they used to be but never speak of – is fighting the Daleks in the darkest days of the Time War. Driven by demons and despair, this battle-scarred Doctor is set to take a devastating decision that will threaten the survival of the entire universe… a decision that not even a Time Lord can take alone.

On this day, the Doctor’s different incarnations will come together to save the Earth… to save the universe… and to save his soul.

Product details
  • Format: Kindle Edition
  • File Size: 2917 KB
  • Print Length: 224 pages
  • Publisher: BBC Digital (5 April 2018)

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I thought this was a great episode and loved John Hurt's performance. I think it could have been improved by the addition of Paul McGann giving us 4 Doctors (we're still to get any onscreen interaction between more than 3 "real" Doctors). Including the 8th Doctor could have given us the viewpoint of the incarnation prior to the one who decided to destroy Gallifrey as well as the two post destruction Doctors.

johnnybear

As much as John Hurt was a wonderful actor, the role should have gone to Eccleston but as we know he rejected it and so Paul McGann would have been the proper choice but no, that idiot Moffat had to be the 'writer' to address the thirteenth and final Doctor in his Christmas story! I know it's nearly five years ago and it's only a television show but....
JB

Doctor Omega

The disastrous Afterparty..... or the Disaster Party as Colin Baker called it....

Yes let's ignore all the classic companions in the background, while focusing on New Who... and let's talk to flavour of the month boyband, One Direction instead....

I can't help but wonder if the 1D link-up at 14 minutes in was sabotaged?

Perhaps somebody with two wires behind the scenes - maybe a disgruntled CLASSIC WHO fan - wondering if they have the right.....

Then doing it anyway......

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I rewatched it not too long ago, and it still holds up for me. I enjoyed both Tennant and Smith in the role, and seeing them together was a joy for me. And yes, with Eccelston passing on it, I would have loved to have seen McGann come back (I do love the mini episode they did with him, though). But John Hurt? Greatness. And the Curator scene? First time I watched the episode, I had tears in my eyes. My Doctor came back for a wonderful cameo.

Doctor Omega

Behind the Lens - The Day of the Doctor - Doctor Who 50th Anniversary - BBC

As Doctor Who celebrates 50 years, we go behind the lens on the year's most anticipated television drama. Voiced by the Sixth Doctor, Colin Baker, we catch up with old friends and meet some new ones. It's a rollercoaster ride and a time to celebrate. Features Matt Smith, David Tennant and Jenna Coleman with Billie Piper and John Hurt, as well as lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat, discussing their 50th Anniversary experiences.

Doctor Omega

Voiced by the Sixth Doctor, Colin Baker,

Am a bit surprised to hear Colin so enthusiastically narrating this behind the scenes documentary on THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR, considering how miffed he was that he wasn't in it.

MOFFAT: I'll throw you five bucks to voice the making of.... Now quit whining!

johnnybear

The story was a bit of a mess even if I say I liked it! One minute we have the Daleks, the Time Lords in the Time War with john hurt and then we have a trio of Doctors facing the Zygons from a picture and later we're back into the Time War again! What gives?
JB

chainsaw_metal1

I will agree with that, mate. The story really is all over the place. But I can't help but love it. I'm a sucker for multi-Doctor stories. Same way I still love The Five Doctors, and yet so much of that story makes absolutely no sense.

johnnybear

I'd say Five Doctors makes more sense than Day of Doctor! I just loved the events of the Daleks invading Gallifrey although I wasn't too keen on Time Lord soldiers considering how the Doctor has always stated how his people were beyond the evil concept of war! The Three Doctors is the best of the get-togethers I think, because it doesn't spoil any continuity and Troughton looks very much as we last saw him unlike both Five and Two Doctors which shows him as a wrinkled old man with a floppy hairstyle and then the same again but with a grey top instead! Day of works like Three in as much as Tennant looks the same as we last saw him despite that flat hairstyle and John hurt we'd never heard of or had seen anyways!
JB

Doctor Omega

Tom Baker says Matt Smith was the only person who welcomed him on Doctor Who's 50th special
"Nobody else bothered with me at all."

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/cult/a860547/doctor-who-50th-special-tom-baker-matt-smith/

1530270261-maxresdefault-4.jpg

Tom Baker has said he was irritated by the treatment he received on the set of Doctor Who's 50th anniversary special.

Baker filmed a brief sequence for 2013's 'The Day of the Doctor' and alleged that only his co-star in the scene, Matt Smith, paid him any attention.

"Matt Smith is a darling young man – he made me very welcome," the legendary actor said, in a candid interview for the new Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 12 Blu-ray set.

"[But] he was the only one who welcomed me – I drove through the night to Cardiff, and Matt Smith came seeking me out, so full of joy and so happy to see me! He made it very, very easy acting with him, and I'm so glad he's going on to tumultuous success.

"Nobody else bothered with me at all. I was a bit nettled about that.

"They didn't have Matt's warmth. That's what he's good at, warmth... absolutely wonderful, and there's not much of him – he's sort of lean, and exudes this warmth."

Baker played the mysterious Curator in the 50th special, a character who may or may not have been a future incarnation of the Doctor.

Last year, writer and then-Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat described working on the episode as "murder" – even though it turned out to be a "monster hit".

"'The Day of the Doctor' was a monster hit – I think I can say that – but the actual process of doing it was murder," he recalled.

"It was an awful show to work on and I kept just wanting to give up. Because the truth is, there is a reason why there is only one Doctor, and there is absolutely no reason to have more than one."

chainsaw_metal1

I don't care. The first time I sat and watched DOTD and I heard Tom's voice, I teared up. I still get emotional when I rewatch it and that scene comes on.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I don't care. The first time I sat and watched DOTD and I heard Tom's voice, I teared up. I still get emotional when I rewatch it and that scene comes on.
You great big bloody sook!

Yeah, me too. I can't get through that scene without tearing up and anyone who thinks he's not playing the fourth Doctor is a six-pack short of a carton.

The same verbal expressions, the same body language... the same Doctor.