Review The Ghosts Of Motley Hall s01e02-Old Gory

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
This episode was ticking along nicely, with a good set up of the Ghost Hunter and his wife turning up, but I suddenly became consumed with a startling stab of recognition, so far as the actor playing Old Gory went.

"I know that voice!" I thought.

One swift check on IMDB later and I confirmed what I already knew to be the truth.

It was Griffin, the chef from DOCTOR WHO: THE ENEMY OF THE WORLD.

vlcsnap-2012-07-17-16h05m11s227.jpg

One of my concerns, starting a series like Motley, which is set in one location with the same actors, is that the episodes might not all feel different enough, but I think Richard Carpenter is too bright a writer to fall into that trap and already I will always remember this as THE ONE WITH THE HEADLESS GHOST AND THE GHOSTHUNTERS.

Hope all of the episodes are as distinct, storywise, as this one.

The runaround of trying to avoid discovery and being photographed was pleasant enough.

At one point, towards the end, I thought that Old Gory was about to join the regular cast, but it was not to be. I wonder if he will make a return appearance - prematurely - at some point?

For me the most pleasing part of the episode was that clever coda at the very end, where the ghosthunter's wife springs a surprise of her own. That was a really nice touch I thought and one that I was not expecting at all.

It did make me wonder whether she could actually see them, or just whether she had the belief that ghosts were really there. The impression given was that she could, in fact, see them, but I guess it is open to interpretation.

So I will give this second foray into Ghost-dom a sterling....

6 out of 10.

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Yes indeed Griffin's long lost ancestor. Gerald James the ghost hunter was ubiquitous in the 70's , usually playing suited business men types, or spy chiefs or cop shows like the Sweeney as Mr Big. All the ghosts are interesting and likeable in their own way.
I think the wife could see them all , the whole time, that's how I interpreted it. 7/10