Fun The Holiday Season

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Anyone have any New Year's Eve plans? Parties, gatherings, drunken debauchery, sitting along in a bean bag covered in Vaseline watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show? (Don't judge me!!!)

When I was in high school, my friends and our familes would all get together and have a party, snack foods, sodas and music. It was great (especially the year when my mom almost beat me for fooling everyone into believing two of my friends were in a fight upstairs, then they dropped a dummy off of the railing in front of everyone - oh, we were little shits). In college and after, it was usually just a few of us getting together for drinks and snacks. In the late 90s, my wife's grandma - who she had been very close with - passed away on NYE, and so she wasn't in the mood for partying much. We have on occasion gone out of town then I could get the time off, and spent it with my mother-in-law and her side of the family. They do Christmas on New Year's Day, so NYE is one major drunkfest. Usually, though, it's just us and the kids, sitting up and watching movies. It's fun, and by that point, I don't want to be around people.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Last year I watched the New Year’s Eve celebration on NBC by myself until 2am. This year I have a lot of (very noisy) family here so that’s not happening. So far we’ve been staying up til midnight watching cartoons because that’s what my cousin’s kids want to do.

chainsaw_metal1

I was telling someone recently that I know I have hit "that age". I used to know all of the musical acts on the NYE shows, and now there are one or two I know, much less like, and the rest of them I sit there and go "who".

Getting old sucks.

chainsaw_metal1

My biggest issue with streaming is that, right now, everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, and there aren't the resources to go around to have everyone I want. I hate that there is a lack of classic movies on Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu, but I can't spare the bucks to get a streaming service that provides them. I hate that Netflix adds and drops movies with no real rhyme or reason. I hate that I'm going to need to spend more money to get BritBox so I can see Classic Who. Where does all of this end?

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
There was a streaming service for classic films (not that I was going to spend more money on it) called Filmstruck, but it went under. Oh and get this - Mulan is on Hulu, and I watched it a couple of times - Disney is releasing it’s own streaming service so no Mulan or any other freakin’ Disney movies on any streaming service. Evil bastards have to get their money. They even tried to trademark “Hakuna Matata,” which is an often-used Swahili phrase! I hate Disney and I hate all their crummy new live-action movies and I hope their streaming service fails and that their movies are big flops.