Review The Last Movie That You Watched?

Discussion in 'Film: General' started by Lucas, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Mad_Monster_Party

Mad_Monster_Party Sandbox Chief Commissioner

Wonder Park.

I thought it was pretty good. :emoji_man_dancing:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mad_Monster_Party

Dumbo.

Very enjoyable!!

:emoji_alien:

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Seeker

The Seeker Member: Rank 6

You liked Dumbo? Was it as good as the cartoon?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mad_Monster_Party

You know, it’s been a while since I’ve seen the original, but I thought it was up there with it. It definitely came across very well. I certainly had a good time watching it.:emoji_alien:

• Like Like x 2
  5. The Seeker

The Seeker Member: Rank 6

Well that’s good. I saw the live-action remake of Cinderella and I liked the cartoon much better. But they were two completely different movies! It would have been pointless to make the second one the same as the first, I suppose.

Did Dumbo get drunk?

• Like Like x 2
  6. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 8

The only one of the live-action remakes I have watched was Beauty and the Beast, and I rather enjoyed it. Part of that was that the cast was great (Luke Evans is my man-crush). I still think they could have done better with the Beast himself. Personally, I think that had this been done in the heyday of Rick Baker, he could have done a practical effect that would have looked much more convincing.

That being said, I still don't understand the idea behind remaking all of the classic movies. Using the classic stories to make entirely different movies, sure. But just using the original animated movie as your storyboard? Just unoriginal. I've pointed out many times that movie studios are a business, and exist to make money, and this is a way to make a quick buck by using source material that has a built-in audience. But even then, it seems like missed opportunities.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. chainsaw_metal1

But I will still see Dumbo. It looks intriguing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

I think I saw DUMBO when I was in Kindergarten...

So I'm covered. :emoji_wink:

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. chainsaw_metal1

The Dirt (2019) - The Netflix original biopic based on the book of the same name chronicling the life of Motley Crue. This is the second time I've watched it since it was released last week, and it's definitely a fun watch if you're a Crue fan. It feels like it should have been a series, as the 1 hour 47 minute runtime causes there to be a lot that's left out. But even with there being so much missing, it's still entertaining, and it has a great soundtrack. 4/5 stars.

• Like Like x 3
  10. clayton-12

clayton-12 Member: Rank 4

Don's Party (Bruce Beresford, 1976) ... there was only one thing I could bear to watch tonight. The line "You shouldn't argue with people if you disagree with them" will resonate. Hopefully.

On a lighter note (and one that will probably only make sense to any Aussies on the forum), the original casting had Barry Crocker, Paul Hogan and Mike Willesee in the film!

11. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Good film...

And an apt choice for this evening.

And having Bazza McKenzie, Crocodile Dundee and the late Mike Willesee together in one film would've been... interesting. :emoji_wink:

12. clayton-12

clayton-12 Member: Rank 4

Particularly with including Hogan. The script was perfect for Graham Kennedy's television persona, Crocker would have been essentially reprising his Bazza MaKenzie role but deleting the parody element, and Willesee's combative interview technique at the time was perfect for the argumentative dentist prick.

But Paul Hogan? Accordingly to Phillip Adams in the DVD extras, he had lengthy discussions on whether it was a script that Hoges would be comfortable doing (with Paul talking about himself in the third person) before John Cornell stepped in and agreed that they would sign on, but only for a fee that was well in excess of the film's entire budget. Looking back, it's hard to say what impact the film would have had on the Hoges brand ... but maybe a decision to play Don would have resulted in a world without Crocodile Dundee.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ClassicsFan

ClassicsFan Member: Rank 1

14. chainsaw_metal1

Avengers: Endgame (2019) - Alright, kids, this is the one. We've been building up to it for 11 years, 21 movies, all culminating in what can only be described as a soggy dream come true for this nerd. There are heroes, and battles, and laughs, and tears, and so much comic book goodness jammed into one three hour nerdgasm. Visually it is just amazing. I will warn you, though, if you're not too well-versed in comic book lore, you might be put off by the pace of the first act of the film. And that's all I can say here without spoilers, but yes, I highly recommend it. 5 out of 5 talking raccoons.

15. ClassicsFan

ClassicsFan Member: Rank 1

Casper

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mad_Monster_Party

Secret Life of Pets 2. Overall I thought it was a pretty good follow up to the first one. :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mad_Monster_Party

Men in Black: International.

Very fun movie, kind of disappointed it hasn’t done better than it has. But I’ll try to end on a positive note, I had a very good experience watching it! :emoji_alien::emoji_alien:!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mad_Monster_Party

Heaven Can Wait - 1978

For probably the 20th time. Still a good movie though!:emoji_alien::emoji_alien:

• Like Like x 1