Fun The Last Movie That You Watched?

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I simply enjoyed seeing Peter Firth from SPOOKS and Patrick Stewart from STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION in other roles. Plus a few other familiar faces. And there's nothing wrong with a bit of cheese now and then - provided it's tasty.

ant-mac

ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS (1957) 3/5.

A black-and white American science fiction film, with a strong influence of horror as well. The screenplay by Charles B Griffith was the first of many he would write for filmmaker Roger Corman, who produced and directed this feature. The plot concerns a scientific expedition that is sent to a remote Pacific island to discover what happened to the scientists of an earlier scientific expedition. Unknown to them, the island is inhabited by a pair of gigantic, intelligent crabs that have been mutated by radiation from nearby testing of atomic bombs. The film stars Richard Garland, Pamela Duncan, Russell Johnson, Leslie Bradley, Mel Welles, Richard H Cutting and Charles B Griffith in a cameo appearance as Tate - the first victim of the giant crabs. Surprisingly, this film is nowhere near as bad as it sounds. And with a running time of just 62 minutes, it doesn’t take too long to finish either.

ant-mac

GIANT FROM THE UNKNOWN (1958) 3/5.

An average American horror film, which was released by Astor Pictures. It was written by Ralph Brooke and Frank Hart Taussig, it was produced by Marc Fredericand Arthur A Jacobs and it was directed by Richard E Cunha. The make-up effects were done by Jack Pierce, known for the classic visages of FRANKENSTEIN (1931), THE MUMMY (1932) and THE WOLF MAN (1941). The plot involves the inhabitants of a small California town up in the mountains, who have to deal with the murderous behaviour of a 500 year-old Spanish Conquistador, known as the Diablo Giant, who has recently been awoken from a state of suspended animation. The film stars Ed Kemmer, Sally Fraser, Bob Steele, Morris Ankrum, Billy Dix, Gary Crutcher, Jolene Brand and Buddy Baer as Vargas the Giant. It’s a mostly harmless and inoffensive film, which features some nice scenery.

Nick91

Member: Rank 2
Lost Boundaries (1949) 4.5/5
[Sorry, no title card image this time]

A touching story based on real-life events about an African-American couple who both are light-skinned enough to pass as white (caucasian). A daring theme to make a movie about during this era in Hollywood, although as I have already seen a similar one before (Imitation of Life in 1934), I didn't go "wow, they made movies like this back in the late 40s?".

Still, I found Lost Boundaries to be subtle and conveying a modern message without sounding too preachy or unrealistic. All of the actors were fairly unknown at the time, although the lead Mel Ferrer went on to become quite famous. I think the entire cast did a good job; the guy who played the son has to be among the best actors to not yet have a Wikipedia page. LB loses half a point because the scenes dragged on here and there, especially after the 'big revelation'.

You can watch the film on Youtube if you want.

Last edited:

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
Alien: Covenant (2017)
This movie has an identity crisis. It doesn't know if it wants to be a run-of-the-mill Alien film or a sequel to Prometheus. It fails as both. The tone is all over the place and very inconsistent.
They should have made this the way they intended it. A real sequel to Prometheus and with that steer away from the xenomorphs and focus more on the engineers.
The characters are terrible and so is Fassbenders american accent. You don't really care what happens to any of them. The ending is also predictable.

TheSowIsMine

VIP
Rogue One (2016)
This movie really had that old Star wars look and feel to it. There lighting reminded me a lot of Empire Strikes Back. The costumes, bad haircuts and moustaches also brought it back to that time.
The story was interesting. Most of the time the others came in when intelligence was already gathered, so it was nice to see that side of the story.
There are a bunch of good actors in it. CGI Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher were a bit weird though.
This is what a Star Wars prequel is supposed to be like.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The Final Countdown

51DhaoqUh0L._SY450_.jpg

A time travel film with Kirk Douglas.....

Shot itself in the foot as it was obvious that history could not be altered.

Written by Gerry Davis, who co-invented the Cybermen for Doctor Who.....

TheSowIsMine

VIP
This thread makes no sense at all.

I guess I should explain why, because I have been called narrow minded.
It’s because it seems this thread is a combination of a lot of threads, and the answers don’t make sense anymore.

Last edited:

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
This thread makes no sense at all.

I guess I should explain why, because I have been called narrow minded.
It’s because it seems this thread is a combination of a lot of threads, and the answers don’t make sense anymore.
Seems pretty straightforward to me:

Discuss your favourite cult movies here....
From Flash Gordon with Brian Blessed - to Horror movies and Carnival of Souls. From horror and science fiction obscurites, to A Clockwork Orange and everything in between.
A good mix of movies discussed.

TheSowIsMine

VIP
Seems pretty straightforward to me:
Well, it used to be a bunch of threads and my post about A Clockwork orange now comes after a post about a completely different movie. Thats why I said the "it doesn't make sense" thing. It wasn't about what people posted.
So if that is being narrow mined...?

TheSowIsMine

VIP
Room (2015)
Good drama, very well acted by everyone.

Shot! The Psycho-Spiritual Mantra of Rock (2016)
This is a documentary about rock photographer Mick Rock. What I like about this one, is that its not your usual doc and it fits the man. There is great use of his work and music by the people he photographed. There was a lot of emphasis on his work on David Bowie, Lou Reed and Iggy Pop. Something I do not mind at all, but others might.

Tuco

Member: Rank 2
Arrival.

Gotta say... massively disappointed by this. My expectations were rather high and frankly, I was actually quite angry by the end because it was just utter gash. Someone needs to explain the excessive praise for this movie. Just can't express how awful it was.

She's the first linguist on the planet who thought to write something down. Seriously. They take a canary because... um... the technology to measure if an environment has breathable air apparently doesn't exist. Are you kidding me?

Endless navel gazing atmospheric shots and dread heavy music (to remind you how profound everything is).

Abysmal.
I enjoyed this quite a bit, even after multiple viewings (which is where a movie can start to slip for me). Indeed, the atmospherics are part of the charm for me. It is not by any means a perfect film, but definitely worthwhile.

Passengers.

Meh.
I'm with you on this one.