Controversial The Mandela Effect

Shared False Memory? Or a Real Phenomenon?

• It's a shared false memory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a real phenomenon! Things are-a-changing!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don't know what to make of it! On the fence.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
My Very Own Mandela Effect Mystery....

I seem to have stumbled on my very own Mandela Effect mystery.

It's a tv show that seems to have vanished from existence completely.

In the late 1970's, I would say around about the time that Leela or Romana 1 was with the good Doctor, I remember a regular announcement on the late night BBC1 that "Over on BBC2 now is another episode of THE HELLFIRE CLUB".

As this was being announced the title card was of a very Victorian looking gentlemen, looking very serious, perhaps holding a gothic shaped candelabra. He had a very typical moustache of the era and I seem to remember there a special effect glow of fire in his eyes in this static picture.

I also remember glimpses of this show as my dad changed the channels. It was alternatively either very stuffy and pompous or occasionally nervous Victorian gentlemen exchanging ghost stories. A different story per episode told by one of the members.

It was a spooky show, done with that historical style that the BBC were so good at.

I just conducted a thorough look for this show.

There is nothing.

A 1961 film called THE HELLFIRE CLUB, starring Peter Cushing. But this wasn't it.

An Avengers episode, etc.

But none of these are what I saw.

The series - and it was a series - was made by the BBC on videotape and had the look and atmosphere of the much later GHOST LIGHT on Doctor Who, or the COUNT DRACULA tv show with Louis Jordan..

Wikipedia, You Tube, IMDB... All of my usual routes of enquiry have turned up absolutely nothing. (See next post)

I rarely stumble on a mystery that has no traces whatsoever.... only my memory.

But on this occasion I have, as Orac might say!

And it truly baffles and perplexes me.

The series having been quite a devilisly themed one isn't helping matters either! That's simply the icing on the cake! :emoji_scream:

Does anyone else remember this show at all?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

From Wikipedia....

In popular culture
Literature
The Hellfire Club has appeared in numerous literary works:

Television
  • The Avengers episode "A Touch of Brimstone" (1966) had Steed and Mrs. Peel infiltrate a modern incarnation of the club whose pranks were expanding to destroy the government.
  • The Blackadder the Third episode Ink & Incapability (1987) begins with a scene in which the Prince Regent mentions having drunk at the Naughty Hellfire Club the previous night.
  • The Hellfire Club makes an appearance in "Deliverance", a 2014 episode of the TV show Sleepy Hollow.
  • In the Gotham episode "The Blind Fortune Teller" (2015), the Hellfire Club is said to be a "Satanist cult that committed a string of ritual murders."
  • The Hellfire Club is investigated on Season 6, Episode 8 of "Ghost Adventures", a television show on the Travel channel that investigates paranormal hotspots.
Other

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Sorry can't help you I'm afraid, Doc! I know of the Hellfire club film but have never seen it sadly and of course the Avengers episode of 1965 with Peter Wyngarde as John Cleverly Cartney! Cartney being a name that Brian Clemens has used a few times in his shows, Avengers and Thriller's Man At The top of The Stairs!
JB

Doctor Omega

I may possibly have solved the mystery. Just found a series called TALES OF MYSTERY & IMAGINATION. Made from 1966 to 1970. One of the episodes was called THE SUICIDE CLUB and the look and feel of the costumes, period setting, atmosphere, etc looks close to what I remember as a series called THE HELLFIRE CLUB.

Allowing for false or muddled memory, this is the nearest thing I have found to it so far, assuming that this episode was repeated in the late seventies. Perhaps numerous episodes of TOMAI were repeated and I got confused or something, thinking the title of one episode was the title of the whole series...

Or something..... :emoji_confused:

Tremendously thrilling Duel in 'Suicide Club' (1970)

Dramatic conclusion to the nihilistic 'Suicide Club' (1975) part of the 'Mystery & Imagination' series. Teleplay by Robert Muller. Directed by Mike Vardy.

Last edited:

johnnybear

I may possibly have solved the mystery. Just found a series called TALES OF MYSTERY & IMAGINATION. Made from 1966 to 1970. One of the episodes was called THE SUICIDE CLUB and the look and feel of the costumes, period setting etc looks close to what I remember as a series called THE HELLFIRE CLUB.

Allowing for false or muddled memory, this is the nearest thing I have found to it so far, assuming that this episode was repeated in the late seventies. Perhaps numerous episodes of TOMAI were repeated and I got confused or something, thinking the title of one episode was the title of the whole series...

Or something..... :emoji_confused:

Tremendously thrilling Duel in 'Suicide Club' (1970)

That looks like Brian Blessed's wife Hildegarde Neil to me in that port as well!
JB

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Omega

Is this the thing causing all this Mandela Effect marlarky.......

How Does the Large Hadron Collider Work?

In order to potentially find new particles, the LHC recreates the conditions that existed just after the Big Bang. It works a bit like a time machine.

johnnybear

I've been saying that the Hadron Collider has been responsible for all the disruptions in our memories and weird paranoia as well! Odd that in Doctor Who's Castrovalva, the Master, as played by Anthony Ainley and not Mary Poppins mentions Hadron power lines being lethal to the touch back in a 1982 episode and also the powers he had acquired created a world of scholars and hunters who couldn't tell one way from another and the only one who could was Shardovan who had guessed the Portreeve's little secret! It's sort of similar to how some of us think there is an ulterior motive behind everything these days too!
JB

johnnybear

A lot of people will not understand it's concept, but that's because they are part of the scenario! Unlike a few of us on here who were at the eye of the event top begin with!
JB