Review The Oscars!

Discussion in 'Star Talk: General' started by Lucas, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

I always remember this moment.......

2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine What an excellent day for an exorcism
    Staff Member VIP

This was the first time I watched the oscars. I was obsessed with The Silence of the Lambs, so I needed to see if they would win, and they did, so I was a happy little girl :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  7. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

No, I don't always agree.

Sometimes the choices seem wildly at odds with what become accepted classics in the years that follow and the statuette is often given out to some film that will be a forgotten and largely unwatched obscurity in the years ahead, while the film that is snubbed is, in contrast, watched by new generations of viewers, who appreciate it more than the Oscars ever did. :emoji_alien:

8. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

PGA Unveils Its Best Picture Nominees

The Producers Guild of America announced the nominees for their year-end awards this morning, their Best Picture category usually the single best indicator of what will end up an Oscar nominee in a few weeks time.

The contenders?

“The Big Sick,”

“Call Me By Your Name,”

“Dunkirk,”

“Get Out,”

“I, Tonya,”

“Lady Bird,”

“Molly’s Game,”

“The Post,”

“The Shape of Water,”

“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

“Wonder Woman”.

Last year, nine out of their ten nominees made the cut for Best Picture (“Deadpool” being the one that missed out). In each of the four years before that, all but one of the Oscar Best Picture nominees came from the PGA’s ten nominee list. This means, at best, it’s likely only one of the notable absentees from this list like “The Florida Project,” “Mudbound,” “Darkest Hour” or “Phantom Thread” will score a Best Picture nomination.

“The Boss Baby,” “Coco,” “Despicable Me 3,” “Ferdinand” & “The LEGO Batman Movie” are up for the animated film award. “Chasing Coral,” “City of Ghosts,” “Cries from Syria,” “Earth: One Amazing Day,” “Jane,” “Joshua: Teenager vs. Superpower,” and “The Newspaperman: The Life and Times of Ben Bradlee” are up for the Best Documentary.

On the TV front the Best Drama Series category includes “Big Little Lies,” “The Crown,” “Game of Thrones,” “The Handmaid’s Tale” & “Stranger Things”. On the Best Comedy Series front it’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” “Master of None,” “Silicon Valley” and “Veep”. On the TV movie/mini-series front the nominees are “Black Mirror,” “Fargo,” “Feud,” “Sherlock: The Lying Detective” and “The Wizard of Lies”.

9. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

The 2018 Oscar Nominations

shape-of-water-drawing-raves-from-venice-696x464.jpg

In a year where the awards race is more unpredictable than usual, it comes as no surprise that this morning’s Oscar nominations were filled with several surprises.

“The Shape of Water” led the field with thirteen nominations followed by eight for “Dunkirk,” seven for “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri,” six for “Darkest Hour” and “Phantom Thread,” five for “Lady Bird” and “Blade Runner 2049,” and four for “Call Me By Your Name,” “Get Out,” “Mudbound” and “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”.

Surprises? “The Boss Baby,” “Kong Skull Island” and ‘Logan” are officially Oscar nominees. Other individual nominations of recognition were most welcome – Roger Deakins for “Blade Runner 2049” and Mary J. Blige for “Mudbound”. Check out the full list below:

Best Picture
    “Call Me By Your Name”
    “Darkest Hour”
    “Dunkirk”
    “Get Out”
    “Lady Bird”
    “Phantom Thread”
    “The Post”
    “The Shape of Water”

Best Director
    Christopher Nolan for “Dunkirk”
    Jordan Peele for “Get Out”
    Greta Gerwig for “Lady Bird”
    Paul Thomas Anderson for “Phantom Thread”
    Guillermo del Toro for “The Shape of Water”

Best Actor
    Timothee Chalamet for “Call Me By Your Name”
    Daniel Day-Lewis for “Phantom Thread”
    Daniel Kaluuya for “Get Out”
    Gary Oldman for “Darkest Hour”
    Denzel Washington for “Roman J. Israel, Esq.”

Best Actress
    Sally Hawkins for “The Shape of Water”
    Frances McDomand for “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
    Margot Robbie for “I, Tonya”
    Saoirse Ronan for “Lady Bird”
    Meryl Streep for “The Post”

Best Supporting Actress
    Mary J. Blige for “Mudbound”
    Allison Janney for “I, Tonya”
    Lesley Manville for “Phantom Thread”
    Laurie Metcalf for “Lady Bird”
    Octavia Spencer for “The Shape of Water”

Best Supporting Actor
    Willem Dafoe for “The Florida Project”
    Woody Harrelson for “Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri”
    Richard Jenkins for “The Shape of Water”
    Christopher Plummer for “All the Money in the World”
    Sam Rockwell for “Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Best Animated Feature
    “The Boss Baby”
    “The Breadwinner”
    “Coco”
    “Ferdinand”
    “Loving Vincent”

Best Foreign Language Feature
    “A Fantastic Woman” (Chile)
    “The Insult” (Lebanon)
    “Loveless” (Russia)
    “On Body and Soul” (Hungary)
    “The Square” (Sweden)

Best Documentary Feature
    “Abbacus: Small Enough to Jail”
    “Faces Places”
    “Icarus”
    “Last Men In Alepopo”
    “Strong Island”

Best Adapted Screenplay
    James Ivory for “Call Me By Your Name”
    Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber for “The Disaster Artist”
    Scott Frank, James Mangold & Michael Green for “Logan”
    Aaron Sorkin for “Molly’s Game”
    Virgil Williams and Dee Rees for “Mudbound”

Best Original Screenplay
    Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani for “The Big Sick”
    Jordan Peele for “Get Out”
    Greta Gerwig for “Lady Bird”
    Guillermo del Toro & Vanessa Taylor for “The Shape of Water”
    Martin McDonagh for “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Best Cinematography
    Roger Deakins for “Blade Runner 2049”
    Bruno Delbonnel for “Darkest Hour
    Hoyte van Hoytema for “Dunkirk”
    Rachel Morrison for “Mudbound”
    Dan Laustsen for “The Shape of Water”

Best Film Editing
    “Baby Driver”
    “Dunkirk”
    “I, Tonya”
    “The Shape of Water”
    “Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Best Production Design
    “Beauty and the Beast”
    “Blade Runner 2049”
    “Darkest Hour”
    “Dunkirk”
    “The Shape of Water”

Best Costume Design
    “Beauty and the Beast”
    “Darkest Hour”
    “Phantom Thread”
    “The Shape of Water”
    “Victoria and Abdul”

Best Score
    Hans Zimmer for “Dunkirk”
    Johnny Greenwood for “Phantom Thread”
    Alexandre Desplat for “The Shape of Water”
    John Williams for “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”
    Carter Burwell for “Three BillboardsOutside Ebbing, Missouri”

Best Song
    “Mighty River” from “Mudbound”
    “Mystery of Love” from “Call My By Your Name”
    “Remember Me” from “Coco”
    “Stand Up for Something” from “Marshall”
    “This Is Me” from “The Greatest Showman”

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
    “Darkest Hour”
    “Victoria and Abdul”
    “Wonder”

Best Visual Effects
    “Blade Runner 2049”
    “Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2”
    “Kong: Skull Island”
    “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”
    “War for the Planet of the Apes”

Best Sound Editing
    “Baby Driver”
    “Blade Runner 2049”
    “Dunkirk”
    “The Shape of Water”

Best Sound Mixing
    “Baby Driver”
    “Blade Runner 2049”
    “Dunkirk”
    “The Shape of Water”

Best Animated Short Film
    “Dear Basketball”
    “Garden Party”
    “Lou”
    “Negative Space”
    “Revolting Rhymes”

Best Live-Action Short Film
    “DeKalb Elementary”
    “The Eleven O’Clock”
    “My Nephew Emmett”
    “The Silent Child”
    “Watu Wote/All of Us”

Best Documentary Short Film
    “Edith+Eddie”
    “Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405”
    “Heroin(e)”
    “Knife Skills”
    “Traffic Stop”

The 90th Oscars will be held on Sunday, March 4th at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network. The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.

10. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

11. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter The Drifter
    VIP

I don't know who Boss Baby payied off, but that movie shouldn't have made the list. Hope Coco wins the award. I was really hoping for Franco to get a nomination same with his movie. What I love about the awards alot of times there are movies that get nominated that I have never seen or heard of. Get Out still surprising me with getting a nomination. The movie wasn't that great to beginning with.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine What an excellent day for an exorcism
    Staff Member VIP

How in the hell did Get Out get so many nominations? It does not deserve it. It was a fun horror but it was kinda ruined by the failed attempt at humour with the best friend plot line.
    And really Meryl Streep again?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

14. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter The Drifter
    VIP

Damn it! You beat me to posting that.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  15. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Beatty, Dunaway To Present Top Oscar Again

beatty-dunaway-to-present-top-oscar-again-696x464.jpg

A year on from accidentally presenting the Academy Award for Best Picture to the wrong movie, Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway are reportedly returning to the Dolby Theatre stage for another go on Sunday.

TMZ reports that both actors will once again present the Academy’s highest honor at the 90th annual Awards on Sunday in Los Angeles with the two rehearsing their lines on Thursday night for the big moment at the theatre.

At last year’s ceremony, Beatty and Dunaway infamously announced “La La Land” had won the prestigious Best Picture award due to being handed the wrong envelope by one of the accountants in charge of envelopes who was too busy on social media to pay attention to his job. After a flurry of activity on stage, it was quickly revealed “Moonlight” had actually won.

In an effort to prevent another mistake, the Academy has prohibited the PwC accountants who handle the envelopes from using cell phones or social media during the show. Several other reforms were announced ahead of the awards show, including the addition of a third balloting partner in the show’s control room.

#35 Doctor Omega, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  16. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

I know that there is no way that it is going to be allowed to occur, but if they messed it up again, how cruelly awesome would that be! :emoji_scream:

17. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

The films they could potentially get wrong.....

Best Picture

“Call Me By Your Name”
    “Darkest Hour”
    “Dunkirk”
    “Get Out”
    “Lady Bird”
    “Phantom Thread”
    “The Post”
    “The Shape of Water”

18. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Lawrence, Foster To Present Actor Oscar

lawrence-foster-to-present-actor-oscar-696x464.jpg

Jennifer Lawrence and Jodie Foster will announce the lead actress prize winner, while Jane Fonda and Helen Mirren will present lead actor at the 90th annual Oscars on Sunday night.

This marks a major break from tradition for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences as usually the previous year’s acting winners present the same categories for the opposite gender at the Oscars.

In January, it was revealed that last year’s lead actor winner Casey Affleck had withdrawn as a presenter, reportedly to avoid becoming a distraction due to two sexual harassment lawsuits he previously settled. Frances McDormand and Gary Oldman are considered the frontrunners to win this year.

A moment has been carved out on the show for the Time’s Up organization, which launched a legal defense fund in January for those who have experienced sexual harassment, assault, or abuse in the workplace.

Presenters this year include: Mahershala Ali, Emily Blunt, Chadwick Boseman, Sandra Bullock, Dave Chappelle, Viola Davis, Eugenio Derbez, Laura Dern, Ansel Elgort, Jane Fonda, Jodie Foster, Gal Gadot, Jennifer Garner, Greta Gerwig, Eiza González, Tiffany Haddish, Mark Hamill, Armie Hammer, Tom Holland, Oscar Isaac, Ashley Judd, Nicole Kidman, Matthew McConaughey, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Helen Mirren, Rita Moreno, Kumail Nanjiani, Lupita Nyong’o, Margot Robbie, Gina Rodriguez, Eva Marie Saint, Emma Stone, Wes Studi, Kelly Marie Tran, Christopher Walken, Daniela Vega, Zendaya

19. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator

Oscars 2018: Get Out wins Spirit Awards best film

_100266830_jordanpeele.jpg

Get Out has been named best film at the Film Independent Spirit Awards - which has predicted the best picture winner at the Oscars four years running.

Moonlight was seen as an outsider when it picked up the same award at the 2017 event before winning the Oscar.

Jordan Peele was named best director, for what is his feature film debut, at the beachside event in Los Angeles.

The Spirit Awards honour low-budget films and are seen as the precursor to the Academy Awards on Sunday.

Asked about the possibility of black horror film Get Out repeating the success of Moonlight in 2017 - and Spotlight and Birdman the previous years - Peele simply said: "It's Saturday. Tomorrow's tomorrow."

He is the first black filmmaker to be nominated for best picture, best director and best screenwriting.

He told the audience at the Santa Monica event: "I think it's clear to everybody in this room, across the country and across the world, that we're at the beginning of a renaissance right now.

"Our stories from the outside, stories from the people in this room - the same stories that independent filmmakers have been telling for years - are being recognised and honoured."

'It needed to exist'
    He said the 23-day-shoot was "scrappy" and that he cried every day because he was so drained.

"This was not a film where anyone got a paycheque," he said. "We did this because we believed in the story. It wasn't a story anybody had seen before - it needed to exist."

The film stars London-born Daniel Kaluuya, who - when asked if he would star in a sequel if one was made - replied with incredulity: "Would I like to be in a Jordan Peele script? We just won!"

Speaking about the prospect of a sequel, Peele said: "We are not closed off to a sequel. The producers and I agree this is not the kind of movie you make a sequel to just to make a sequel, to make money.

"If we can get a story that feels worthy as a follow-up in this world, then we'll do it."

Peele said of Get Out - about a black man who steps into a nightmare when he visits his white girlfriend's family: "This project didn't start as a statement - it began as me wanting to make a film in my favourite genre… mind-bending horror."

Spirit Awards - the main winners

• Best feature - Get Out
    • Best director - Jordan Peele, Get Out
    • Best screenplay - Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
    • Best first screenplay - Emily V Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani, The Big Sick
    • Best supporting female - Allison Janney, I, Tonya
    • Best supporting male - Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards
    • Best female lead - Frances McDormand, Three Billboards
    • Best male lead - Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
    • Robert Altman award - Mudbound, directed by Dee Rees
    [​IMG]
    The Spirit Awards honour films that have been made for a budget of $20m or less. Get Out had a budget of $4.5m and made $255m at the box office.

Frances McDormand picked up the best actress award for her role as a grieving mother hell-bent on getting justice in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - she's widely expected to get the same title at the Oscars.

She said she appreciated the fact she could swear during the more informal awards ("the dress code is 'get dressed'", co-host John Mulaney had quipped) and added: "I am independent and I'm spirited - that's why I'm here."

Timothee Chalamet, who won best actor for Call Me By Your Name - a romance set in 1980s Italy - told the event that he thought change was on the way in the film industry.

"This is a whole new wave - we're going to be fine, we're going to be good," he said. "We're going to make this change."

Call Me By Your Name, starring Armie Hammer - who FaceTimed Chalamet during the awards, also won best cinematography.

'I want to play dark characters'
    Other awards went to Allison Janney for best supporting actress for I, Tonya and Sam Rockwell, best supporting actor for Three Billboards.

Janney is widely tipped to win the Oscar for playing LaVona Golden, the domineering mother of figure skater Tonya Harding.

"I've played a lot of confused and complicated women, but not any women this dark," she said. "I don't think people usually think of me this way. I guess I want to play more evil, dark characters."

Asked about the fact Jimmy Kimmel has indicated he won't focus on Me Too and the Time's Up movement when hosting the Oscars on Sunday, she said: "Jimmy Kimmel's got a huge task in hand to host the Oscars. I know he's going to do a fantastic job.

"I think the movement is being addressed in so many other ways - I'm leaving it in his capable hands."

20. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Moderator