Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I know that there is no way that it is going to be allowed to occur, but if they messed it up again, how cruelly awesome would that be! :emoji_scream:

Doctor Omega

The films they could potentially get wrong.....

Best Picture

“Call Me By Your Name”
“Darkest Hour”
“Dunkirk”
“Get Out”
“Lady Bird”
“Phantom Thread”
“The Post”
“The Shape of Water”
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Doctor Omega

Lawrence, Foster To Present Actor Oscar

lawrence-foster-to-present-actor-oscar-696x464.jpg

Jennifer Lawrence and Jodie Foster will announce the lead actress prize winner, while Jane Fonda and Helen Mirren will present lead actor at the 90th annual Oscars on Sunday night.

This marks a major break from tradition for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences as usually the previous year’s acting winners present the same categories for the opposite gender at the Oscars.

In January, it was revealed that last year’s lead actor winner Casey Affleck had withdrawn as a presenter, reportedly to avoid becoming a distraction due to two sexual harassment lawsuits he previously settled. Frances McDormand and Gary Oldman are considered the frontrunners to win this year.

A moment has been carved out on the show for the Time’s Up organization, which launched a legal defense fund in January for those who have experienced sexual harassment, assault, or abuse in the workplace.

Presenters this year include: Mahershala Ali, Emily Blunt, Chadwick Boseman, Sandra Bullock, Dave Chappelle, Viola Davis, Eugenio Derbez, Laura Dern, Ansel Elgort, Jane Fonda, Jodie Foster, Gal Gadot, Jennifer Garner, Greta Gerwig, Eiza González, Tiffany Haddish, Mark Hamill, Armie Hammer, Tom Holland, Oscar Isaac, Ashley Judd, Nicole Kidman, Matthew McConaughey, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Helen Mirren, Rita Moreno, Kumail Nanjiani, Lupita Nyong’o, Margot Robbie, Gina Rodriguez, Eva Marie Saint, Emma Stone, Wes Studi, Kelly Marie Tran, Christopher Walken, Daniela Vega, Zendaya

Doctor Omega

Oscars 2018: Get Out wins Spirit Awards best film

_100266830_jordanpeele.jpg

Get Out has been named best film at the Film Independent Spirit Awards - which has predicted the best picture winner at the Oscars four years running.

Moonlight was seen as an outsider when it picked up the same award at the 2017 event before winning the Oscar.

Jordan Peele was named best director, for what is his feature film debut, at the beachside event in Los Angeles.

The Spirit Awards honour low-budget films and are seen as the precursor to the Academy Awards on Sunday.

Asked about the possibility of black horror film Get Out repeating the success of Moonlight in 2017 - and Spotlight and Birdman the previous years - Peele simply said: "It's Saturday. Tomorrow's tomorrow."

He is the first black filmmaker to be nominated for best picture, best director and best screenwriting.

He told the audience at the Santa Monica event: "I think it's clear to everybody in this room, across the country and across the world, that we're at the beginning of a renaissance right now.

"Our stories from the outside, stories from the people in this room - the same stories that independent filmmakers have been telling for years - are being recognised and honoured."

'It needed to exist'
He said the 23-day-shoot was "scrappy" and that he cried every day because he was so drained.

"This was not a film where anyone got a paycheque," he said. "We did this because we believed in the story. It wasn't a story anybody had seen before - it needed to exist."

The film stars London-born Daniel Kaluuya, who - when asked if he would star in a sequel if one was made - replied with incredulity: "Would I like to be in a Jordan Peele script? We just won!"

Speaking about the prospect of a sequel, Peele said: "We are not closed off to a sequel. The producers and I agree this is not the kind of movie you make a sequel to just to make a sequel, to make money.

"If we can get a story that feels worthy as a follow-up in this world, then we'll do it."

Peele said of Get Out - about a black man who steps into a nightmare when he visits his white girlfriend's family: "This project didn't start as a statement - it began as me wanting to make a film in my favourite genre… mind-bending horror."

Spirit Awards - the main winners

• Best feature - Get Out
  • Best director - Jordan Peele, Get Out
  • Best screenplay - Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
  • Best first screenplay - Emily V Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani, The Big Sick
  • Best supporting female - Allison Janney, I, Tonya
  • Best supporting male - Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards
  • Best female lead - Frances McDormand, Three Billboards
  • Best male lead - Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
  • Robert Altman award - Mudbound, directed by Dee Rees

The Spirit Awards honour films that have been made for a budget of $20m or less. Get Out had a budget of $4.5m and made $255m at the box office.

Frances McDormand picked up the best actress award for her role as a grieving mother hell-bent on getting justice in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - she's widely expected to get the same title at the Oscars.

She said she appreciated the fact she could swear during the more informal awards ("the dress code is 'get dressed'", co-host John Mulaney had quipped) and added: "I am independent and I'm spirited - that's why I'm here."

Timothee Chalamet, who won best actor for Call Me By Your Name - a romance set in 1980s Italy - told the event that he thought change was on the way in the film industry.

"This is a whole new wave - we're going to be fine, we're going to be good," he said. "We're going to make this change."

Call Me By Your Name, starring Armie Hammer - who FaceTimed Chalamet during the awards, also won best cinematography.

'I want to play dark characters'
Other awards went to Allison Janney for best supporting actress for I, Tonya and Sam Rockwell, best supporting actor for Three Billboards.

Janney is widely tipped to win the Oscar for playing LaVona Golden, the domineering mother of figure skater Tonya Harding.

"I've played a lot of confused and complicated women, but not any women this dark," she said. "I don't think people usually think of me this way. I guess I want to play more evil, dark characters."

Asked about the fact Jimmy Kimmel has indicated he won't focus on Me Too and the Time's Up movement when hosting the Oscars on Sunday, she said: "Jimmy Kimmel's got a huge task in hand to host the Oscars. I know he's going to do a fantastic job.

"I think the movement is being addressed in so many other ways - I'm leaving it in his capable hands."

Doctor Omega

McDormand’s Oscar Thief Was Arrested

mcdormands-oscar-thief-was-arrested-696x464.jpg

The man who briefly stole Frances McDormand’s Oscar for best actress on Sunday night has been arrested on grand theft charges.

Terry Bryant, 47, took McDormand’s Oscar from her table at the Governor’s Ball after the ceremony and posted a Facebook Live video holding the trophy up and claiming: “Got this tonight! This is mine. We got it tonight, baby!”

He allowed those around him at the party to touch the trophy, and even offered photos with the Oscar which he claimed he won for music. He was reportedly stopped by Wolfgang Puck’s photographer who got the Oscar back.

McDormand’s rep, Simon Hall, said in a statement that the actress and her Oscar “were happily reunited last night” after a brief time apart.

Doctor Omega

Spitting Image: "1987 American Movie Awards"

Just in time for the Academy Awards, here is the "Spitting Image 1987 Movie Awards", a really funny parody of the Academy Awards where Mr. Spock (yes, that Mr. Spock) hijacks the awards. I found this recording on an old S-VHS cassette that was heading for the garbage. This episode does not appear to be available for purchase in the U.S. or anywhere else, which is a shame.

Doctor Omega

Oscars Postponing Its Most Popular Film Award

academy-sets-oscars-dates-through-2021-696x464.jpg

In a surprise reversal, The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced today that they will be postponing the new ‘popular’ movie category following widespread criticism – meaning the new Oscars category will not be present at the upcoming 91st awards.

The Academy says in a statement that they recognize that implementation of a new award nine months into the year creates challenges for films that have already been released. Additionally, The Board of Governors continues to be actively engaged in discussions and will examine and seek additional input regarding this category. Academy CEO Dawn Hudson says:

“There has been a wide range of reactions to the introduction of a new award, and we recognize the need for further discussion with our members. We have made changes to the Oscars over the years — including this year — and we will continue to evolve while also respecting the incredible legacy of the last 90 years.”

The other changes to the 91st Oscars next year, including restructuring and shortening the length of the telecast to three hours, are still expected to continue. To honor all twenty-four award categories, six to eight categories will be presented live in the Dolby Theatre during commercial breaks.

The winning moments will then be edited and aired later in the broadcast. Selected categories will be rotated each year and The Academy will collaborate with the show producers to select these categories.

Doctor Omega

Dern, Spielberg Helped Stall The Popular Oscar

dern-spielberg-helped-stall-the-popular-oscar-696x464.jpg

Yesterday came word that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had put its recently announced ‘Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film’ category on hold for next year following a strong backlash that took place.

When the award was first announced, one of several major changes, the reaction online was swift and harsh (except for Mark Wahlberg) to an award which was essentially a glorified popularity contest – not one of excellence which is what the Academy champions.

The Academy backtracked on it yesterday but is otherwise implementing its other changes for next year’s broadcast. Academy president John Bailey spoke with THR to explain their change of mind and try to justify the new award’s place – saying it’s not about falling ratings for the telecast but rather to get more mainstream movies back in the race:

“I wasn’t expecting that kind of knee-jerk reaction, largely from journalists. I don’t know why that happened because these are the same people who have also criticized the Academy for being quote-unquote irrelevant and not actually addressing the taste of people that go to the movies. The same people who have criticized us for irrelevance and elitism now suddenly were the guardians at the gate, talking about the bowdlerization of the Oscars.

[The new award] wasn’t some knee-jerk reaction to falling ratings or to ABC or to anything like that. It was real clear on the part of the board and the Academy that we needed somehow to make certain kinds of films eligible for new awards… Unfortunately, some people misinterpreted this as our laying down pipe for big mass-market franchise films.”

Despite his PR spin, it wasn’t just the media and social media backlash that made the Academy press the pause button but also pushback from within. The New York Timesreports that on Tuesday night a closed meeting was held with 54 members in attendance to vote on rethinking the creation of the category. While Bailey was supportive of the new category, others were adamantly opposed to its inclusion including actress Laura Dern. Additionally, director Steven Spielberg was said to be “uncomfortable” with category’s inclusion this year.

While the award is out, at least for now, the show will push ahead with its ‘restructuring and shortening” plan to get the broadcast in under three hours. As a result, six to eight categories are to be moved to the commercial breaks with the three categories for short films the most likely to be pushed.

Doctor Omega

The 11 minutes that ruined Hollywood producer Allan Carr's career forever

A video of historical importance from nearly 30 years ago: This is the infamous opening song and dance number to the 1989 awards show, with Rob Lowe singing to Snow White. This bombed so badly that the show's producer, Allan Carr (who made the movie GREASE) became a Hollywood outcast and never worked again. He died 10 years later. His story can be seen in the new documentary film The Fabulous Allan Carr, which is based on the excellent book Party Animals by Robert Hofler. Also check out the very interesting Hollywood Reporter article about actress Eileen Bowman's experience playing Snow White for this show.

Doctor Omega

Kevin Hart Out As Host Of The Oscars

kevin-hart-now-out-as-host-of-the-oscars-696x464.jpg

8pm: In a situation that appears to be changing by the minute, it seems the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences may be looking for a new host for the upcoming Oscars ceremony after all.

Comedian Kevin Hart was tapped to host a few days ago and has since come under fire for escalating concerns over a long history of hate speech and derogatory jokes about the LGBTQ community on social media.

Hart responded with an Instagram video post which wasn’t an apology for his comments so much as a ‘leave me alone’ style deal and it only increased the push for him to be ousted.

Now in a new Instagram video, Hart says the Academy called him and essentially gave him an ultimatum – apologise or else. He appears to have chosen or else:

“I just got a call from the Academy and that call basically said, ‘Kevin, apologize for your tweets of old or we’re going to have to move on and find another host.’ I’m talking about the tweets from 2009 and 2010. I chose to pass on the apology. The reason why I passed is because I’ve addressed this several times. This is not the first time this has come up. I’ve addressed it. I’ve spoken on it. I’ve said where the rights and wrongs were. I’ve said who I am now versus who I was then. I’ve done it. I’m not going to continue to go back and tap into the days of old when I’ve moved on and I’m in a completely different place in my life.”

Numerous celebs and members of the Academy are all weighing in online today as well and so far very few seem to be in Hart’s corner.

10pm: It’s official, Hart is out and has quit the job. He sent out a tweeted statement:

“I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year’s Oscar’s….this is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past. I’m sorry that I hurt people.. I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart. Much love & appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again.”

AMPAS is now expected to begin the hunt for a new host.

Doctor Omega

Kevin Hart Still Won’t Host The Oscars

kevin-hart-still-wont-host-oscars-696x464.jpg

Despite the efforts of former host Ellen DeGeneres, Deadline reports that according to multiple sources comedian Kevin Hart will not serve as host of the 91st Academy Awards and this looks like his final answer on the matter.

Hart’s appearance on Ellen to promote his upcoming film “The Upside” rekindled talk when DeGeneres urged Hart to host and made calls to the Academy. Hart was moved by DeGeneres’ gesture, and has apologized enough for the Academy to be receptive, but Hart reportedly feels his hosting would become a distraction that would take away from the people and movies being honored. Also, time is running out to prepare for the gig.

The Academy still hasn’t announced its plans, even as we are in the midst of Golden Globes weekend, with ABC promos ignoring the hosting situation. But a host-less telecast is now looking more and more likely. DeGeneres’ interview has received a large backlash online, especially from within the LGBTQ community, with both under fire.

Doctor Omega

The 2019 Oscars Will Go Hostless

academy-sets-oscars-dates-through-2021-696x464.jpg

For the first time in almost three decades, the Oscars will air without a host.

Producers are reportedly planning for a group of A-listers to introduce various segments throughout the night.

Kevin Hart was originally slated to host the event but dropped out hours later and his appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres show last week only furthered the controversy whilst bringing DeGeneres into some as well.

The broadcast will reportedly feature skits and play up a high-profile year for music in film, and will also aim to be shorter than usual. The 91st Oscars will be held on Sunday, February 24th at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
For the first time in almost three decades, the Oscars will air without a host.
Honestly, I think this is the best way to go. Like MacFarlane said, it's a thankless job, and it doesn't matter if you do a good job or blow it. And while I still love watching the award shows, there are so many out there that just go on social media and bash them simply because they don't care about them. So maybe they are a relic of a lost time, and should be phased out. I would hate to see that happen, but maybe it's time.

Doctor Omega

SAG Unhappy With Oscars Presenter Hogging

de-luca-todd-to-produce-oscars-ceremony-696x464.jpg

With the Oscars going hostless this year, the burden of the show will be placed on the various presenters to do some of the heavy lifting.

Now, in an unexpectedly and strongly worded statement, the actors union SAG-AFTRA has called out the Oscars organisers the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) about alleged underhanded tactics – trying to keep talent AMPAS has secured as presenters away from other awards shows. This includes the actors’ own SAG Awards. The actors union says in its letter on its official site:

“SAG-AFTRA has fielded numerous requests to respond to assertions that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences exerts extraordinary and unwarranted pressure on talent to hold them from appearing at other award presentations.

We have received multiple reports of these activities and have experienced firsthand the Academy’s graceless pressure tactics and attempts to control the awards show talent pipeline… The apparent attempt by the Academy to keep our members from presenting on their own awards show is utterly outrageous and unacceptable. The SAG Awards supports their union’s operations and important charitable assistance programs that provide valuable support to performers. We call on the Academy to cease this inappropriate action.”

The SAG Awards is set for January 27th, with the Oscars coming a month later on February 25th.

Doctor Omega

The 2019 Oscar Nominations

the-2019-oscar-nominees-696x464.jpg

This year’s Oscar nominations have been announced via a direct streaming broadcast live this morning. “Roma” and “The Favourite” led the field with ten nominations each followed by eight for “Vice” and “A Star Is Born,” seven for “Black Panther,” six for “BlacKkKlansman,” five for “Green Book” and “Bohemian Rhapsody,” and four for “First Man”. “Black Panther” made history being the first superhero film to score a best picture nomination.

Surprises? “First Reformed” only scoring one nomination (screenplay) after winning so much elsewhere, “First Man” missing out on score, the incredible love the Academy has for the critically divisive “Vice,” no mention of the Mr. Rogers doco “Won’t You Be My Neighbour” let alone “The Rider” or “Burning” or “Leave No Trace,” the surprise inclusion of “Never Look Away” for several nominations, no Bradley Cooper direction for “A Star is Born,” and the return of both “First Man” and “BlackKKlansman” back into the awards race after seemingly being left behind.

Here is the full list of nominees:

Best Picture
“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Roma”
“A Star is Born”
“Vice”

Best Director
Adam McKay (“Vice”)
Alfonso Cuaron (“Roma”)
Paweł Pawlikowski (“Cold War”)
Spike Lee (“BlacKkKlansman”)
Yorgos Lanthimos (“The Favourite”)

Best Actor
Christian Bale (“Vice”)
Bradley Cooper (“A Star Is Born”)
Willem Dafoe (“At Eternity’s Gate”)
Rami Malek (“Bohemian Rhapsody”)
Viggo Mortensen (“Green Book”)

Best Actress
Yalitza Aparicio (“Roma”)
Glenn Close (“The Wife”)
Olivia Colman (“The Favourite”)
Lady Gaga (“A Star is Born”)
Melissa McCarthy (“Can You Ever Forgive Me?”)

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams (“Vice”)
Marina de Tavira (“Roma”)
Regina King (“If Beale Street Could Talk”)
Emma Stone (“The Favourite”)
Rachel Weisz (“The Favourite”)

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali (“Green Book”)
Adam Driver (“BlacKkKlansman”)
Sam Elliott (“A Star is Born”)
Richard E. Grant (“Can You Ever Forgive Me?”)
Sam Rockwell (“Vice”)

Best Animated Feature
“Incredibles 2”
“Isle of Dogs”
“Mirai”
“Ralph Breaks the Internet”
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”

Best Foreign Language Feature
“Capernaum” (Lebanon)
“Cold War” (Poland)
“Never Look Away” (Germany)
“Roma” (Mexico)
“Shoplifters” (Japan)

Best Documentary Feature
“Free Solo”
“Hale County This Morning, This Evening”
“Minding the Gap”
“Of Fathers and Sons”
“RBG”

Best Adapted Screenplay
“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Can You Ever Forgive Me?”
“If Beale Street Could Talk”
“A Star is Born”

Best Original Screenplay
“The Favourite”
“First Reformed”
“Green Book”
“Roma”
“Vice”

Best Cinematography
Alfonso Cuarón (“Roma”)
Caleb Deschanel (“Never Look Away”)
Matthew Libatique (“A Star is Born”)
Lukasz Zal (“Cold War”)
Robbie Ryan (“The Favourite”)

Best Film Editing
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Vice”

Best Production Design
Eugenio Caballero (“Roma”)
Fiona Crumbie (“The Favourite”)
Hannah Beachler (“Black Panther”)
Nathan Crowley (“First Man”)
John Myhre (“Mary Poppins Returns”)

Best Score
Alexandre Desplat (“Isle of Dogs”)
Ludwig Göransson (“Black Panther”)
Marc Shaiman (“Mary Poppins Returns”)
Nicholas Brittel (“If Beale Street Could Talk”)
Terence Blanchard (“BlacKkKlansman”)

Best Song
“All The Stars” from “Black Panther”
“I’ll Fight” from “RBG”
“The Place Where Lost Things Go” from “Mary Poppins Returns”
“Shallow” from “A Star Is Born”
“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” from “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
“Border”
“Mary Queen of Scots”
“Vice”

Best Costume Design
Alexandra Byrne (“Mary Queen of Scots”)
Mary Zophres (“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”)
Ruth Carter (“Black Panther”)
Sandy Powell (“Mary Poppins Returns”)
Sandy Powell (“The Favourite”)

Best Visual Effects
“Avengers: Infinity War”
“Christopher Robin”
“First Man”
“Ready Player One”
“Solo: A Star Wars Story”

Best Sound Editing
“A Quiet Place”
“Black Panther”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“First Man”
“Roma”

Best Sound Mixing
“A Star Is Born”
“Black Panther”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“First Man”
“Roma”

Best Animated Short Film
“Animal Behaviour”
“Bao”
“Late Afternoon”
“One Small Step”
“Weekends”

Best Live-Action Short Film
“Detainment”
“Fauve”
“Marguerite”
“Mother”
“Skin”

Best Documentary Short Film
“Black Sheep”
“End Game”
“Lifeboat”
“A Night at the Garden”
“Period. End of Sentence.”

The 91st Academy Awards will be held on Sunday, February 24th at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network. The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.