Review The PLANET OF THE APES Franchise

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
comixology-hosting-huge-sale-planet-the-apes-comics-26.jpg

What is it about PLANET OF THE APES that you love?

And what are your favourite and/or least favourite bits, be it one of the films, or merchandise etc....

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I used to love the comics.....

Some of the cover art was a joy to behold....

This, from the Marvel adaption of Escape from the Planet of the Apes.....

3956295736_f634f78c92.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

KING KONG RAMPAGES THROUGH THE PLANET OF THE APES IN NEW COMIC BOOK CROSSOVER

unnamed-1-720x1210.jpg

The two most popular ape-related franchises in pop culture are finally joining forces. Today BOOM! Studios revealed first details for Kong on the Planet of the Apes, a new comic book mini-series that pits King Kong against Planet of the Apes villain Dr. Zaius.

This six-issue mini-series will be written by Ryan Ferrier (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) and drawn by Carlos Magno (Kong of Skull Island). The series will feature covers by Magno, Mike Huddleston (The Coffin) and movie poster veteran Hans Woody.

Kong on the Planet of the Apes will take place shortly after the events of the original 1968 film. In the process of trying to cover up all traces of astronaut George Taylor's existence, Dr. Zaius and General Ursus will find themselves traveling to Skull Island and encountering the mightiest ape of them all.

“There's such a deep mythology to both properties, especially if you consider all of the amazing Kong and Apes comics that have come out in recent years,” said Ferrier in boom's press release. “With this series, we've found a coherent, meaningful way of having these two worlds and their legacies fold into each other. The implications of the Ape civilization discovering the Kong world are huge, and that's certainly on the forefront of the series.”

This is hardly the first time Boom has combined Planet of the Apes with other popular franchises. In recent years we've seen crossovers like Star/Trek/Planet of the Apes and Tarzan on the Planet of the Apes.

Look for Kong on the Planet of the Apes to debut in November 2017.

Doctor Omega

Beneath the Planet of the Apes is my favourite film of old and new.

Maybe because the plot is just a bit mad - and it had an audacious ending, a la Alien 3 and the tv show Blake's 7.

I love audacious endings. :emoji_alien:

Doctor Omega

I have to say that I prefer the charm of the original movies over the undoubted technical excellence of the newer offerings, although these are proving to be really well-made movies in their own right. So I am in no way putting down RISE, DAWN or WAR,

But I have yet to quite be moved by the current movies in the same way as the affecting love story of Cornelius and Zira in the originals moved me.

Doctor Omega

war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-poster2-700x300.jpg

What next for THE PLANET OF THE APES, in your opinion?

A movie reboot/remake?

A new tv series?

This thread will serve as a placeholder until something is announced; which it surely will be.

But what should that something be?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I think, if they do another trilogy to follow the RISE-DAWN-WAR one, that a fresh approach is needed.

Enough with the excessive gloom?

Maybe even a film that starts very lighthearted for the first half and only then turns into a tragedy?

It worked for ESCAPE.

Or, to blow everybody's mind, a direct sequel to Tim Burton's 2001 masterpiece. :emoji_confused:

Doctor Omega

And puh-leeese! No tv series prequels or any of that nonsense about anything to do with Ape-dom!

Not every franchise needs expanding! :emoji_alien:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Has anyone ever read the book written by Drew Gaska where it follows what happened to Landon in the original film? I can't remember what it was called but it sounded interesting to say the least!
JB

johnnybear

I saw the second film of the trilogy and it was okay but I'm a purist and love the original five films! This last one bombed at the office box is that right?
JB

johnnybear

I used to love the comics.....

Some of the cover art was a joy to behold....

This, from the Marvel adaption of Escape from the Planet of the Apes.....

View attachment 881
Yep! Every Friday back in the seventies coinciding with the TV series on Sunday nights! I was gutted when the comic strip of the first film didn't continue with Beneath in #12 the following week! We got Terror on The Planet of The Apes instead or as my old friend Ian and I used to say the adventures of Jason! We did get Beneath in #35 I remember and it was drawn by Alfredo Alcala instead of George Tuska who did the original in #1-#11!
JB

Doctor Omega

Has anyone ever read the book written by Drew Gaska where it follows what happened to Landon in the original film? I can't remember what it was called but it sounded interesting to say the least!
JB

I haven't read it - and have never heard of it until you just mentioned it, JB - but it does indeed sound interesting.....

CONSPIRACY OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

• Archaia's first illustrated novel! Set during the classic 1968 Planet of the Apes film, Conspiracy of the Planet of the Apes tells the story of what happened between the scenes and centers on the astronaut John Landon, Gorilla police chief Marcus, and Chimpanzee scientist Dr. Milo.
  • Features over 50 illustrations from various top talents in the industry, including full-color paintings by Jim Steranko, Joe Jusko, Dave Dorman, Barron Storey, Sanjulian, and Mark Texeira, starship designs by Andrew Probert, character portraits by Matt Busch.

51YhFMus7OL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Doctor Omega

I saw the second film of the trilogy and it was okay but I'm a purist and love the original five films! This last one bombed at the office box is that right?
JB

War was closely monitored by analysts while the summer was witnessing a decline in ticket sales, a situation that they blamed on franchise fatigue for an overabundance of sequels and reboots (such as Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Transformers: The Last Knight and The Mummy). However, box office analysts noted that well-reviewed films have tended to perform in-line with estimates (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Wonder Woman and Spider-Man: Homecoming)

The film grossed $5 million from Thursday night previews at 3,021 theaters, up 22% from the $4.1 million earned by its predecessor, and $22.1 million on its first day. It went on to debut to $56.3 million, topping the box office, albeit with a 22% drop from Dawn's $72.6 million debut. In its second weekend, the film grossed $20.9 million (a drop of 62.9%, more than the 50.4% fall Dawn saw), finishing 4th at the box office. In its third weekend, the film made $10.5 million (dropping another 49.9%), finishing 6th at the box office. It was lower than the third weeks of both Rise ($16.1 million) and Dawn ($16.8 million).

It seemed that the good reviews helped it do "okay", enough to warrant yet another film.....

In October 2016, it was reported that a fourth Planet of the Apes film was being discussed.

As yet though, no confirmation of that fourth film.

Maybe they are giving the franchise a rest after all.

But the APES will surely return in some form, and probably sooner rather than later? :emoji_confused:

Doctor Omega

The novelisations of the original films and even the tv shows, have recently been reissued.....

51ExkPMurvL._SX304_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 51CZw3qwewL.jpg 51YVzxJT1YL.jpg

When men discovered that the Planet of the Apes was their own Earth, it was only the beginning of the most incredible adventure of all time. The third omnibus features captivating novelizations of the original TV series stories Man the Fugitive, Escape to Tomorrow, Journey Into Terror and Lord of the Apes

And an all new anthology has been released too....

51lVsw8h-PL.jpg

Planet of the Apes was a seminal work of sci-fi that inspired generations of filmmakers and authors. Now a who's who of writers--including Kevin J. Anderson, Nancy Collins, Jonathan Maberry, and John Jackson Miller--produce sixteen brand-new stories set in the world of the original Planet of the Apes films and TV series. Each writer will explore a different drama within the post-apocalyptic world, with their unique visions and non-stop adventure.

johnnybear

When I was a teenager I was a massive Apes fan and could never understand why there was never a novel based on the first feature film! I'd read all four novelizations and then Monkey Planet and yet the original film version had never been done!!! Years later I picked up a copy of Monkey Planet as Planet of The Apes and it had photos from the first film on the cover and the back but inside it was Pierre Boulle's story and it was the closest I'd ever get to having all five films in book form!
JB

johnnybear

I've got all three of those rascals in my cupboard! I saw the first and second annuals in Northampton last week funnily enough and they were in good condition, think they were £8 each but I could be wrong!
JB