Review The Return of Doctor Mysterio (2016)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0000000000000000000.jpg p04jxqrb.jpg

Your thoughts on this story....

In New York, with brain-swapping aliens poised to attack, the Doctor and Nardole link up with an investigative reporter and a mysterious masked superhero known only as the Ghost. Can the Doctor save Manhattan? And what will be revealed when we see behind the mask?

On to the next story....

THE PILOT....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-pilot-2017.2026/

Back to the previous story....

THE HUSBANDS OF RIVER SONG....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-husbands-of-river-song-2015.5340/

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you, Doc. I love this episode. Maybe it's my unabashed love for comic books, but this one tickled me in a special way. :emoji_wink:

Doctor Omega

That's fine, as always CSM. I love the fact that we are all willing to respectfully disagree on here.

I just felt there was an element of laziness to the writing and recall one of the scenes being a virtual retread of the Lois interviewing Clark on the roof in SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE.

I think I had had enough of Murray Gold's whimsical chocolate box music by this time too, which I felt sapped a lot of the drama out of scenes. And none of the characters seemed to take the fact that they were in jeopardy seriously, taking the opportunity to come out with quips instead. I have found this a constant bane of the current show.

Even if this had been a story I loved I would still be saddened that they seemed to take an entire year away from Capaldi, giving him just this one Christmas story for that year.

chainsaw_metal1

I think I had had enough of Murray Gold's whimsical chocolate box music by this time too, which I felt sapped a lot of the drama out of scenes.
When I was still writing for Shadowlocked, there was a fellow writer by the name of John Bensalhia (you can find several companion books for Doctor Who penned by him on Smashwords) was reviewing every episode of the show from the very beginning. When he got into NuWho, he often bashed Gold's scores, complaining that it overtook the episodes. At the time, I was reviewing the soundtracks, and used to give little jabs at him in my reviews, saying that I loved the compositions. I still love the soundtracks, but when rewatching some episodes, I do agree with him. That's where I'm liking where the new series is heading in terms of music, as it doesn't take over what's happening onscreen.

Doctor Omega

I simply cannot fault the current composer on the Jodie episodes. I am beginning to suspect that the man is a musical genius and one who is sensitive to the needs of the show. The fact that he didn't feel compelled to add lots of flashes, whistles and bangs to the original Grainer theme and instead stripped it back to eerie basics impressed me.

He also really knows how to rack up tension in the music.

I think the guy has to be headed to Hollywood - and I can't see him coming back. The only question is how long WHO can hang onto him. I bet he is getting phone calls already.

chainsaw_metal1

Rewatching this tonight, and still love it. It's a little rough in spots, and I may be blinded by my unabashed love for all things tights and fights, but damn if this special doesn't put a smile on my face.