Fun The Terminator Franchise!

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Not another one...

Haven't we all suffered enough?

At this rate, I'll be seeing those metal bloody skeletons everywhere I look...
View attachment 285
Is it wrong for me to say... dear god, why won't you just die already?... Not too mention the fact that at this point, I find myself wondering whether or not JC (OK, scary initials if you think about it) is serving his audience or his ego?!

MovieKnut

Member: Rank 2
James Cameron has since called Ellison "A parasite!"

As much as I love The Terminator, Jim Cameron is out of order here. Check out the opening shots of The Terminator and Soldier, for example. There is a remarkable similarity between the two future landscapes envisaged. Not sure why Cameron has spent the last 30 odd years denying any connection.

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
I tend to side with Ellison. He's sometimes a blowhard (a remarkably talented blowhard, but still a blowhard), but I think he had a valid case with both Terminator and The Outer Limits. Hollywood has never been shy about ripping off writes and not giving proper credit, and Cameron has admittedly plagiarized work. Anyone who's been around as long as Ellison has, artistically, is bound to have this happen to them, probably more than once.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
And now: according to Skydance CEO David Ellison:

I will say we have resolved the future of the franchise and believe me its an incredibly bright future. I think where it’s going will be the continuation of what the fans really wanted since T2.

Last edited:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
And now: according to Skydance CEO David Ellison:

I will say we have resolved the future of the franchise and believe me its an incredibly bright future. I think where it’s going will be the continuation of what the fans really wanted since T2.
I'm pretty sure I've heard it all before... :emoji_sleeping:

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
I somewhat liked the first one, absolutely adored the second one, watched it like a hundread times, I liked the third one A LOT and I was in the minority thinking that Jonathan Mostow did an exemplary work of reverting back the changes and finally accepting Judgement Day, James Cameron agrees with me also, he was expecting a disaster and was surprised.

Didn't like 4 and I don't have the courage to watch the fifth.

ant-mac

I somewhat liked the first one, absolutely adored the second one, watched it like a hundread times, I liked the third one A LOT and I was in the minority thinking that Jonathan Mostow did an exemplary work of reverting back the changes and finally accepting Judgement Day, James Cameron agrees with me also, he was expecting a disaster and was surprised.

Didn't like 4 and I don't have the courage to watch the fifth.
I think the original trilogy was pretty close to perfect. They should have stopped while they were ahead.

Everything since the third film has been a load of confusing and contradictory crap that has added nothing positive to the franchise.

Doctor Omega

Arnie Talks More “Terminator,” “Conan,” “Twins”

After sitting out ‘Salvation,’ Arnold Schwarzenegger returned to the “Terminator” fold with with the atrociously received “Terminator Genisys” which, though making $400 million worldwide, pretty much put the franchise on ice.

Then came the news that the series would be revived again, this time when the rights revert back to the original film’s director James Cameron who would return as executive producer to ‘godfather’ the new film which “Deadpool” director Tim Miller would helm.

Said film will reportedly bring a conclusion to the franchise, but it was unclear at the time whether Arnold Schwarzenegger would be involved. Talking to Screen Daily at Cannes this weekend, Schwarzenegger says he recently met Cameron and discussed the project:

“It is back. It is moving forward. [James Cameron] has some good ideas of how to continue with the franchise. I will be in the movie.”

That’s pretty definitive, but how big a role is unclear. Arnold added that the “Legend of Conan” film which had reportedly been shelved may still have life in it: “It’s being rewritten…the idea is to do it.”

Then there’s the long in the works sequel to Ivan Reitman’s “Twins” called “Triplets” which he suggests could move forward this year: “The script will be finished in a month… It’s just around the corner.” That film, should it go forward would star Arnie, Danny DeVito and Eddie Murphy.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
“It is back. It is moving forward. [James Cameron] has some good ideas of how to continue with the franchise. I will be in the movie.”
"The dead."

Arnold added that the “Legend of Conan” film which had reportedly been shelved may still have life in it: “It’s being rewritten…the idea is to do it.”
"The done."

sequel to Ivan Reitman’s “Twins” called “Triplets” which he suggests could move forward this year: “The script will be finished in a month… It’s just around the corner.” That film, should it go forward would star Arnie, Danny DeVito and Eddie Murphy.
And.... "The Ugly."

This could easily put me in "Depends" for the rest of my life!..... Something I am waaaaay too young for!
Where's the "Man with No Name" to shoot them all dead?!

Doctor Omega

Cameron Planning A New “Terminator” Trilogy

cameron-planning-a-new-terminator-trilogy-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker James Cameron is reportedly looking at crafting not just one new “Terminator” film, but a whole trilogy.

The news was revealed in an interview with News.com.au discussing the franchise’s relevance in an age in which technology has caught up with such ideas. Cameron, who will regain the rights to the franchise in 2019, says:

“The question is — has the franchise run its course or can it be freshened up?. So I am in discussions with David Ellison, who is the current rights holder globally for the Terminator franchise and the rights tothe US market revert to me under US copyright law in a year and a half so he and I are talking about what we can do. Right now we are leaning toward doing a three-film arc and reinventing it.”

Cameron, who previously announced plans for a new film with Arnold Schwarzenegger’s involvement in some capacity, stepped away from the franchise after the release of “Terminator 2: Judgement Day” in 1991.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Just let the franchise die and rest in peace.

It's already suffered enough.
I don't know. There's been a significant amount of technological advancement since the original Cameron movies and, if done right, as an absolute reboot (not just a modern remake) there's enough social commentary that could make a new movie (perhaps even a trilogy) work. But it would have to raise some complex themes around the role of technology (which can be done within an action movie genre) and not just redo the ideas of the original.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
I don't know. There's been a significant amount of technological advancement since the original Cameron movies and, if done right, as an absolute reboot (not just a modern remake) there's enough social commentary that could make a new movie (perhaps even a trilogy) work. But it would have to raise some complex themes around the role of technology (which can be done within an action movie genre) and not just redo the ideas of the original.
I have to agree with Gavin on this. There is enough material on our current society to reinvent the series.

Doctor Omega

Next “Terminator” Deals With T-800 Appearance

next-terminator-deals-with-t-800-appearance-696x464.jpg

With the rights to the “Terminator” franchise reverting back to James Cameron soon, the filmmaker isn’t lying around and is already making preparations to properly resuscitate the franchise. Cameron will produce and Tim Miller (“Deadpool”) will direct the next entry in the series which is being setup at Skydance Productions.

Speaking with The Arnold Fans (via JoBlo) this week, Cameron was asked if he ever considered having Arnold Schwarzenegger play a human character in any of his movies to show where the model of the T-800 got its inspiration. He offered a lengthy response:

“Yeah, you got to ask yourself, ‘Why did they make these characters look and sound like Arnold? There has to be a reason. So yeah, it has flashed through my mind that there has to have been a prototype.

There has to have been a guy who’s DNA was harvested from – that they grew the organic outer layer that they grew the Terminator from…and that presumably was a real person at some point.

Now, the question is, did that person have some sort of meaning to Skynet on WHY they chose that one? Or was it like a whole rack of Terminators and the one that happened to be the Arnold model just happened to be closest to the door going out to the time displacement center and all the others looked different?

I’ve asked myself these questions but it’s never been resolved…so stay tuned! We’re talking pretty seriously now about doing some new Terminator films or possibly a trilogy and you’ll just have to see what surfaces in those.”

That sounds like an obvious way to get Schwarzenegger back into the action and explain away the age difference. Previously a cut scene from the Cameron-less third film in the series offered the joke that Arnie was a decorated U.S. soldier with an atrocious Southern accent that was dubbed over.

The new “Terminator” has yet to set production or release dates as yet.

ant-mac

Well, we already know the reason why the TERMINATOR franchise is still continuing, in spite of common sense or good taste. Schwarzenegger himself told us at the end of the second film...

Terminators can't self-terminate.